Bandbox: an uncompensated review of an interesting new club

I got my 3-month and 6-month gift cards, so at least there's that...did others get one at 9?

And yeah, I have 0 expectation I'm getting a test pressing now, which was part of the deal I signed up for...

I got an $80 gift card, still have it- I think that was to combine 3 and 6 months. Probably won't see the other two and the TP

Dear fellow record collector,

After beginning as a subscription-only mystery box four years ago, Bandbox has assumed many different formats. This month, unfortunately, we are closing the chapter on that subscription program. Going forward, all Bandbox releases will only be available as a one-time purchase at bandboxrocks.com.

All members with a prepaid Bandbox subscription will be emailed a digital Bandbox gift card worth the full-price balance of their plan (good for the one-time purchase value of each album) by Tuesday, May 2. In the meantime, if you'd like to claim one of the albums remaining on your subscription, email talk@bandboxrocks.com and we'll process your order ASAP and deduct its value from this gift card.

If you had already chosen an album for your upcoming charge through the member portal, you'll need to order it as a one-time purchase through one of these two methods.

For all month-to-month subscribers, the code 20OFF will still get you the 20% you saved each month through your membership. That discount is valid through May 31 and is only available to customers who were on a month-to-month membership plan.

In the coming weeks, we'll be rolling out new prepay + save options and a rewards + referral program. We deeply value your loyalty to our subscription program over the past four years, and we look forward to an exciting 2023 full of exciting Bandbox colored vinyl releases. Please email talk@bandboxrocks.com with any questions!

Rock on,
Team Bandbox

Disappointing but not surprising. Initially they had a bunch of curated titles -- bowie, new order, the cure etc -- and the end of that "era" was also a shitshow. My order got quietly cancelled and I had to write in to get it fixed (eventually it got fixed as credit because they couldn't fulfil the stuff that was listed on the site.) I'm not exactly surprised to see this being handled like this. What a bummer.

I really like their exclusives but this was my thought when that deal was up. Kind of one of those too good to be true moments.
I agree. I had already made up my mind on what I was going to do. I'm just a little surprised at how out of the blue this was...I guess the writing should've been on the wall when the portal was down and I couldn't select any new records...

Disappointing but not surprising. Initially they had a bunch of curated titles -- bowie, new order, the cure etc -- and the end of that "era" was also a shitshow. My order got quietly cancelled and I had to write in to get it fixed (eventually it got fixed as credit because they couldn't fulfil the stuff that was listed on the site.) I'm not exactly surprised to see this being handled like this. What a bummer.
So I'm not a marketing expert, but here's my business plan that I came up with in the last 20 seconds.

1. Everyone on a prepaid subscription rides out the terms they have.
2. Month-to-month subs are no longer available.
3. Start rolling out the alluded-to changes.
4. End subs when everyone's terms are up (my guess is Jan 2024 based on the ones they were pushing in the new year)

The site and lack of response lately was pretty telling that something was wrong. It shouldn't be a dollar amount credit, it should be a credit for how many records you have left. I have 4 months that were scheduled, I think 2 of them have already passed and didn't get those records yet. Not sure what to do there.

I'm guessing you will need to use the new "gift card" to re-purchase them as one time purchases.

What a fucking mess this is going to be.

I'm sure it goes without saying that the additional loyalty gift cards and test press for being a 12 month member are going into the "lol what?' zone for them.
I asked about unredeemed loyalty gift cards too.

Yeah, seems very odd to pull this just a couple of days before the month's orders process too. Slightly concerned about the albums I've pre-ordered now as well. Hopefully those will still go out as planned ... though the ongoing, and unaddressed delay with Metric (now a month later then specified in the email) is worrisome to say the least.

Also, if we're paid out for the price of an album/month we have left, it should be enough to actually get whatever we want without paying out of pocket. Because the rewards ones that I got no longer cover a full album.

So much for getting those Yellowcard albums I had locked in for this month.

I went and used my last gift card on those Rufus Wainwright albums. I counted, I now have 21 unfulfilled records across mine and my wife's subs.

holy-the-goonies.gif

Back