Audio Killed the Visual Star: The August 2023 Vinyl Challenge

Wicked Dreamer

It's pretty safe to say my life revolves around music now. Most of what I talk or think about is music, I play an album almost every day, I listen to old American Top 40 shows literally every weekend, it's just non-stop at this point lol.

Y'know what I don't do a lot of anymore? TV (and movies, but mostly TV). I don't watch TV very often, and when I do it's either documentary series or reality shows most of the time now.

For this month, I decided to go out of my comfort zone and base this challenge around my favourite TV shows, a number of which I haven't sat down and watched in at least a few years, and others that were staples of my childhood (hence why there's a lot of animation in this month's challenge)

For each theme, either play a record based on how you interpret the clip linked in the show's name below or play a record or artist somehow related to the show (doesn't necessarily have to be related to the clip itself). Let your imaginations go wild and I hope y'all have fun here this month!

Last edited:
THEMES

1. South Park
  2. Gravity Falls
  3. King of the Hill
  4. The Simpsons
  5. The Eric Andre Show
  6. Steven Universe
  7. BREAK: play a record about TV
  8. Invader Zim
  9. House, MD
  10. The Boondocks
  11. The Get Down
  12. The Wire
  13. BREAK: play a record featuring an established tv actor
  14. Avatar: The Last Airbender
  15. Family Guy
  16. The Critic
  17. Orange is the New Black
  18. The Looney Tunes Show
  19. Regular Show
  20. Hey Arnold!
  21. The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
  22. BoJack Horseman
  23. Archer
  24. The Golden Girls
  25. Adventure Time
  26. The Amazing World of Gumball
  27. BREAK: play a TV show soundtrack (or a record featured in a show)
  28. The Legend of Korra
  29. In Living Color
  30. Class of 3000
  31. OZ
If you're not able to view any of these clips for whatever reason, let me know and I'll post an alternative.

Last edited:
I don't have any solo Phil

archie-comics-bad-boy-mfc3tigki0pn2kxm.gif

Day 01: South Park

Butthole Surfers - Locust Abortion Technician
IMG_5959.jpeg
I love South Park and thought about selecting Radiohead since they appeared on an episode to laugh at that crybaby Scott Tenorman. Instead I went with the Lollapalooza parodying Lalapalalapaza portion for my inspiration and chose to spin The Butthole Surfers, who were one of the headliners on the first Lollapalooza tour in 1991.

Day 02: Gravity Falls

Iceage - Seek Shelter
IMG_5960.jpeg
Shows like Gravity Falls are one of the very few things that would make having children fun. Having a reason to watch some of the excellent kids shows that have come out over the past 25 years or so. I’ve caught a few episodes of this one over the years and found to be an absolute joy.
I chose this release because if a Giant fiery kid-eating Grunkle Stan balloon is headed your way you should definitely seek shelter ASAP.

Back