Ask for Recommendations (or share)

mcherry

🥑
I went through this forum and didn’t see anything that fit this topic.

This is for asking our fellow music lovers for album or artist recommendations. “If I like this artist, who else would I like?”

This can also be for sharing recommendations, people did that in the past in a similar thread at the other place. Something new or old that you think others would like. We can remove this part if you think sharing should be separate.

It took me far too long to find this thread!

A quick recommendation for you fine folks.

This a great new Irish Folk record that I’m really enjoying!

The good folks at LoveVinyl has as one of their albums this month. Please give it a go! Also they deliver to the US too now 😉

Last edited:
I’m gunna throw out another couple of Folk recommendations here, even if this thread does feel a bit like screaming into the void. I don’t really have another place to put Folk recommendations though!

These are two volumes of a project by an English folk act, Stick in the Wheel. It’s called From Here: English Folk Field Recordings. They traveled England collecting a catalogue of recordings of English Folk artists recorded in their own environs. Both volumes released so far are really good!

I was put onto it by these reviews in the guardian but only got around to listening to them in the last week and buying them last night on bandcamp.

Here are the links to buy on bandcamp

And finally the Spotify links to sample!

I really hope that anyone who samples these enjoys them as much as I do!

Last edited:
I’m gunna throw out another couple of Folk recommendations here, even if this thread does feel a bit like screaming into the void. I don’t really have another place to put Folk recommendations though!

These are two volumes of a project by an English folk act, Stock in the Wheel. It’s called From Here: English Folk Field Recordings. They traveled England collecting a catalogue of recordings of English Folk artists recorded in their own environs. Both volumes released so far are really good!

I was put onto it by these reviews in the guardian but only got around to listening to them in the last week and buying them last night on bandcamp.

Here are the links to buy on bandcamp

And finally the Spotify links to sample!

I really hope that anyone who samples these enjoys them as much as I do!

This is great.

@Yer Ol' Uncle D @Mr Moore I shared this in the metal thread but I think it maybe up your alleys as well. A bit more on the 70's proto/fuzzed out psych side. Parts remind me of The Black Angels, parts remind me of bands from the past. Personally think they stand on their own though, hope you like as much as I have!

@Yer Ol' Uncle D @Mr Moore I shared this in the metal thread but I think it maybe up your alleys as well. A bit more on the 70's proto/fuzzed out psych side. Parts remind me of The Black Angels, parts remind me of bands from the past. Personally think they stand on their own though, hope you like as much as I have!

Thanks mate, will give a listen.

Would love any suggestions, tried this on Reddit and all I got were people telling me not to buy so many and listen to what I have (wasn’t trying to flex but I have purchased around 1000 lp’s since November) which is fair but I love buying and love listening so if there’s anything anyone can suggest based on what I currently own it would greatly appreciated.

I have a feeling I am super late to the party on this one as it is a few years old, but I just heard this song earlier this evening on KUTX. I had to check the playlist on the website when I got home to find out who the artist was and what the song was. This video is, uh, rather strange, but the song is really cool IMO.

So bumping this again for another folk recommendation!

Rhiannon Giddens with Francesco Turrisi - There Is No Other

Here Riannon joins with an Irish based Italian multi instrumentalist to connect traditional folk forms with African and Arabic sounds, it’s pretty magic

@Ericj32 on the last forum you put a link to an article with a list of great classical albums for beginners. Would you be so kind as to share it again. I’d quite like to dig into that area now I’ve got my roon and streaming up and running...

Anyone got any Outlaw Country and Folk/Blues Country recommendations? I've loved everything I've heard so far within both genres.

Already familiar with Townes Van Zandt, Marty Robbins, Blaze Foley, Terry Allen. But I'd love to hear everyone's favorites!

Anyone got any Outlaw Country and Folk/Blues Country recommendations? I've loved everything I've heard so far within both genres.

Already familiar with Townes Van Zandt, Marty Robbins, Blaze Foley, Terry Allen. But I'd love to hear everyone's favorites!
I meant to reply to this a while ago...my fave "outlaw country" is Kris Kristofferson. I really like Gram Parsons as well, but that's more country rock. You should really check out John Prine too.

Edit: Realized giving albums would make it easier...

John Prine - John Prine
Kris Kristofferson - Kristofferson
Gram Parsons - GP

Try posting this question in the "Country" thread. I think you'll get more opinions there.

Last edited:
I meant to reply to this a while ago...my fave "outlaw country" is Kris Kristofferson. I really like Gram Parsons as well, but that's more country rock. You should really check out John Prine too.

John Prine - John Prine
Gram Parsons - GP

Try posting this question in the "Country" thread. I think you'll get more opinions there.
Couldn't agree more with everything @Kris said in her post.

John Prine - John Prine
Gram Parsons - GP

Thank you!

Back