Arts & Crafts Record Club

avecigrec

I accidentally renewed for another 6 months 😳
I've discarded three drafts of emails looking to cancel the purchase because it's just too good a deal! ($157.50 for six records, shipped in three batches)

When perusing the site to remind myself of possible titles to appear in future shipments I noticed the club has now been opened up to all of North America!

If you're at all into what the label puts out, it's an absolute steal of a deal and I really loved my first six months as a member...

Over its almost 20 years as a record label, Arts & Crafts has built one of the most storied and dynamic catalogues in contemporary Canadian music: A collection of indie classics from Broken Social Scene, Feist, Jason Collett, and Stars, era-defining voices like Gord Downie, Hayden, and Sarah Harmer, essential singer-songwriters like Dan Mangan, Tim Baker, Hannah Georgas, Frazey Ford, and Andy Shauf, genre-bending iconoclasts like nêhiyawak and TR/ST, and adventurous instrumentalists like Jean-Michel Blais, Jacques Greene, BADBADNOTGOOD, and Kid Koala.

Every other month, A&C Record Club members will receive a package with one brand new release and one classic Arts & Crafts title. Subscriptions start at $21/month with free shipping. If you already own the record we send you, you can swap it for free. Members also receive 25% off all store items.

The next titles should be announced very soon.
The most recent package was:

• NEW TITLE: Andy Shauf - Norm
  • CLASSIC TITLE: Broken Social Scene - Hug of Thunder

My six months so far have yielded:

• NEW TITLE: Dan Mangan - Being Somewhere
  • CLASSIC TITLE: Gord Downie - Introduce Yerself
  • NEW TITLE: Tamino - Sahar
  • SWAP: Jean-Michel Blais - Aubades (classic title: Feist - Let It Die)
  • SWAP: Andy Shauf - Wilds (classic title: Broken Social Scene - Hug of Thunder)

Thanks for the post! What did the recent swap list look like?

Tamino - Sahar
Dan Mangan - Being Somewhere
Gord Downie - Introduce Yerself
Georgia Harmer - Stay In Touch
Sarah Harmer - You Were Here
Liza Anne - Bad Vacation
Pierre Kwenders -Jose Louis and The Paradox Of Love
Jean-Michel Blais - aubades
Andy Shauf- Wilds
BSS -Let's Try The After
Gentleman Reg -Jet Black
Jade Hairpins - Harmony Avenue
Most Serene Republic - And the Ever-expanding Universe
Most Serene Republic - Population
Zulu Winter- Language
The Hidden Cameras - Origins Orphan
Amy Milan - Masters of The Burial

I learned of Andy Shauf while perusing this thread Friday and listened to all of Norm and a couple other random songs. Then, I streamed three straight Andy Shauf albums last night on the patio, I couldn't get enough. It was my second listen to Norm in two days. plus I listened to Darker Days and Bearer of Bad News. I'm totally loving his stuff, and now realize I have to check out more of the artists in this club.

I learned of Andy Shauf while perusing this thread Friday and listened to all of Norm and a couple other random songs. Then, I streamed three straight Andy Shauf albums last night on the patio, I couldn't get enough. It was my second listen to Norm in two days. plus I listened to Darker Days and Bearer of Bad News. I'm totally loving his stuff, and now realize I have to check out more of the artists in this club.
Andy Shauf is a favorite of mine. I truly love all his albums. Norm sounds good on vinyl too—I think Chris Bellman cut the pressing I have. Think I own all of his albums on vinyl now. Norm was in rotation for a few months when it came out for me. Check out his album The Party—that’s the first one I heard of his.

Also recommend him live if you get a chance to see him! We just missed him in London this past week although wouldn’t have been able to go since we have a 6 month old with us anyway haha.

If you are looking for another on that list to check out. Dan Mangan is one of my absolute favorites.

Andy Shauf is a favorite of mine. I truly love all his albums. Norm sounds good on vinyl too—I think Chris Bellman cut the pressing I have. Think I own all of his albums on vinyl now. Norm was in rotation for a few months when it came out for me. Check out his album The Party—that’s the first one I heard of his.

Also recommend him live if you get a chance to see him! We just missed him in London this past week although wouldn’t have been able to go since we have a 6 month old with us anyway haha.
I decided that I want Norm on vinyl, so that's good to hear. Did you get your copy from the club?

If you are looking for another on that list to check out. Dan Mangan is one of my absolute favorites.
Ok thanks, I definitely will.

Sooo, is this club good? Since quitting VMP I only did Magnolia for 6 months, I might be ready for a club again.

I decided that I want Norm on vinyl, so that's good to hear. Did you get your copy from the club?

Sooo, is this club good? Since quitting VMP I only did Magnolia for 6 months, I might be ready for a club again.

I got my copy of Norm from the club and it sounds great. I've been very pleased by my 6 months with the club so far and looking forward to the next 6. It was only available in Canada when I signed up so I was stoked to see they'd opened up to the rest of North America when I renewed.

It's one of the best price points available these days and the package is nicely packed, and even wrapped all classy inside. And 2 records every 2 months instead of 1 every month is great with me, especially since it keeps shipping costs down!

Membership also grants a discount in the shop, but I haven't used that at all thus far.

I didn’t get mine from the club but am going to look into this club a bit more. Think I might have gotten mine from Amazon actually since I had some points…think the general black USA & CA release is cut by Chris Bellman.

I accidentally renewed for another 6 months 😳
I've discarded three drafts of emails looking to cancel the purchase because it's just too good a deal! ($157.50 for six records, shipped in three batches)

When perusing the site to remind myself of possible titles to appear in future shipments I noticed the club has now been opened up to all of North America!

If you're at all into what the label puts out, it's an absolute steal of a deal and I really loved my first six months as a member...

Over its almost 20 years as a record label, Arts & Crafts has built one of the most storied and dynamic catalogues in contemporary Canadian music: A collection of indie classics from Broken Social Scene, Feist, Jason Collett, and Stars, era-defining voices like Gord Downie, Hayden, and Sarah Harmer, essential singer-songwriters like Dan Mangan, Tim Baker, Hannah Georgas, Frazey Ford, and Andy Shauf, genre-bending iconoclasts like nêhiyawak and TR/ST, and adventurous instrumentalists like Jean-Michel Blais, Jacques Greene, BADBADNOTGOOD, and Kid Koala.

Every other month, A&C Record Club members will receive a package with one brand new release and one classic Arts & Crafts title. Subscriptions start at $21/month with free shipping. If you already own the record we send you, you can swap it for free. Members also receive 25% off all store items.

The next titles should be announced very soon.
The most recent package was:

• CLASSIC TITLE: Broken Social Scene - Hug of Thunder
I love this label. Several great bands are on it and they have an excellent deep catalog. The year price is not bad at all.

Also an Andy Shauf fan and for me, Neon Skyline is the one that reveals his soul. Can't get enough of that one.

I've been perusing the list of artists on the A&C label and sampling some of the more interesting sound band names, I guess that's a good way to start. I've heard of and listened to quite a few of these artists, but so many total unknowns to me. Lots to dig into.

I started with Dan Mangan per @Twentytwo 's recommendation, and liked him quite a bit. I get an Andrew Bird vibe with him a little.

I'm digging Bell Orchestre right out of the gate.

This is my favourite Andy Shauf and this Newberry exclusive is an absolute steal at $9.99

This is my favourite Andy Shauf and this Newberry exclusive is an absolute steal at $9.99

Grabbed it. Thanks!

Yeah, I expected to receive an email about the choices and swaps by now, but haven't. Dunno if my renewal weirded things up?

When I first signed up I didn't get this for the first batch, but then a couple of weeks before the next batch was due to be shipped they sent me email with the selections and the options.

I sent them an email a couple days ago with a couple questions...are they usually good/prompt with communication?

I sent them an email a couple days ago with a couple questions...are they usually good/prompt with communication?

I was just thinking I should post that in my experience they are not! I'd say it's my only negative to the club, and not enough to put me off, but they never responded to an email I sent when I first joined.

Back