Aqualung LP (Steven Wilson or Peter Mew)?

Fixxman32

I just bought the Aqualung LP (Steven Wilson mix) LP from 2015. Is this the actual Steven Wilson mix or did Peter Mew master it? Im confused hehe.

If you're talking about this discogs listing, looks like Wilson mixed it and Mew did the mastering.

Yup, two different things. The Steve Wilson mixes are mixes. I don't see a mastering credit on my Steve Wilson version of Stand Up. My OG of Aqualung sounds pretty damn good though.

I have a needle-drop of Up To Me from Aqualung - i thought i heard some form of clipping in the singing. Just me or is it there?

i did some fiddling with the EQ in VLC, and i can get rid of it by altering some high frequencies. I guess its just the way it was mastered?

Last edited:
Yup, two different things. The Steve Wilson mixes are mixes. I don't see a mastering credit on my Steve Wilson version of Stand Up. My OG of Aqualung sounds pretty damn good though.
Wilson believes, and is completely right, that his mixes do not need mastering. In the digital realm, he wants his mixes untouched. In the vinyl realm, he wants the lacquer cut straight from his digital mix.

If the mix is perfect, or what the artist/producer intends, why master it again, which is just adjusting the sound contrary to the mix?

Wilson believes, and is completely right, that his mixes do not need mastering. In the digital realm, he wants his mixes untouched. In the vinyl realm, he wants the lacquer cut straight from his digital mix.

If the mix is perfect, or what the artist/producer intends, why master it again, which is just adjusting the sound contrary to the mix?
Is that the reason why Wilson re-released his own Aqualung Adapted variant?

It doesn’t quite work that way. You need to master for vinyl. Vinyl has different thresholds for frequencies.

Back