Ambient / Noise / Lowercase / Field Recordings / etc.

Coil's "TIME MACHINES" album. There's ....nothing like it.

The Nurse With Wound / Stereolab collaboration, "Simple Headphone Mind". Back when I used to code, I would put this on and zone out.
Listening to this Coil album now! I have no idea why but I interpreted them as similar to Swans but darker and more bleak and esoteric. They might be, but this album is not bad 5 minutes in. Could easily have been released by some drone artist nowadays, but this is 1998.

Listening to this Coil album now! I have no idea why but I interpreted them as similar to Swans but darker and more bleak and esoteric. They might be, but this album is not bad 5 minutes in. Could easily have been released by some drone artist nowadays, but this is 1998.

see a discussion from an earlier thread for more detail (if you want), but they start out as early industrial, then go hard into electronic.

Of their ambient or ambvient-adjacent work, I would recommend TIME MACHINES, Remote Viewer, solstice/equinox EPs, and at least parts of the musick to play in the dark albums (although musick to play in the dark 1/2 have vocals and some beats.

see a discussion from an earlier thread for more detail (if you want), but they start out as early industrial, then go hard into electronic.

Of their ambient or ambvient-adjacent work, I would recommend TIME MACHINES, Remote Viewer, solstice/equinox EPs, and at least parts of the musick to play in the dark albums (although musick to play in the dark 1/2 have vocals and some beats.
I've never really gotten deep into Dark Ambient so this'll be a good chance to do so. I've heard plenty of other ambient artists go a little dark but nothing like this -- I'll dig into those!

I've never really gotten deep into Dark Ambient so this'll be a good chance to do so. I've heard plenty of other ambient artists go a little dark but nothing like this -- I'll dig into those!
others worth mentioning:

Current 93's "In a Foreign Town, In a Foreign Land". This was done as a collaboration with horror writer Thomas Ligotti and came with a book of short stories. It's their second collaboration, and while I like their first ("I have a special plan for this world") a lot more, it definitely has more spoken vocals and in any case is so harrowing that calling it "ambient" is not appropriate. Ligotti's name might be familiar to True Detective fans; Rust Cohle's nihilist philosophy is cribbed pretty well from Ligotti's writing, specifically "Conspiracy Against The Human Race".

Although Current 93 is essentially a solo endevor -- David Tibet is C93 in much the same way that Trent Reznor is NIN -- there are three albums that he did with Nurse With Wound's Steve Stapleton that were enough of a departure from either of their "regular" works that they decided to put them out as David Tibet and Steven Stapleton instead of C93/NWW:

Musical Pumpkin Cottage
The Sadness of Things
Octopus (this is a remix album of the other two)

Speaking of Nurse With Wound, although they have a lot of stuff that might be called 'ambient', mostly their stuff falls under experimental or avant garde. Just weird shit mostly. BUT "Soliloquy for Lilith" is a 6-LP album made my chaining together effects pedals and waving hands around over them to cause interference and interact with the feedback.

Dead Voices On Air is going to move all their music to a new label, so they've made all their bandcamp Free Download until that happens:

I'd recommend the Piss Frond Sessions but it's all pretty great.

The Ryuichi Sakamoto tribute collection will only be available to buy on Bandcamp through the 28th of this month (the anniversary of Sakamoto's passing). They've also announced vinyl versions coming on Sakamoto's label Commmons. Six LPs, one every two months starting this May. The 5-title collection on digital is just 5500 yen which comes to around $35.

A true Ambient Techno classic is coming back to wax (for the first time on Vinyl).
A collaboration between two Ambient genius' ...BIOSPHERE and PETE NAMLOOK:
The Fires Of Ork - Dito

Back