Amazon

zomgbear

Alright who's gonna do it?

Screenshot_20220730-002450_Gmail.jpg
This popped into my email. Kinda surprised this exists

Didn't the Amazon vinyl of the month club start a while ago? Although not the "golden era" (cue oohs and aahs)
It's actually the first I've heard of it. I'm curious what kind of albums they select. If it's "golden era" I'm assuming it's albums that have a ton of different pressings?

It's actually the first I've heard of it. I'm curious what kind of albums they select. If it's "golden era" I'm assuming it's albums that have a ton of different pressings?
Each record comes w exclusive liner notes written by Jeff Bezos and a wine pairing to accompany listening. Unfortunately, the wine selections can only be afforded by the 1%.

Everyone assumes it is just classic rock stuff they have stockpiled in their warehouses. There was a discussion somewhere around here.

Yup, good ol' @Twentytwo :

I've had a subscription to this for the better part of a year. Most of the records that were chosen for me were good value (usually two-disc sets), and I've gotten Exile on Main Street, London Calling, Who Sell Out, The Wall, etc. In cases where I don't want the record, usually because I don't feel I need to upgrade it from my CD like I did the listed titles, I can cancel before it ships. I just need to check my Orders on the day my subscription renews. I switched to CDs from vinyl when I was in high school in the '80s and only switched back a few years ago, so the Amazon club appeals to me, but I imagine it's of little value for most longtime vinyl collectors.

My selection for June was an Amazon club exclusive color edition of LiTA's reissue of Nancy Sinatra's Boots, and I got an email saying that there wouldn't be a mailing for July because of stock issues (which sounded pretty implausible to say the least). I have a feeling that they are planning on going for just exclusive color editions from here on out and hadn't quite lined everything up last month. My renewal date is on the 10th, so I should know then if my guess is accurate.

Follow up about this "club." Not only did I not get a mailing for July, but there wasn't anything shipped or a charge for August either, and this time without any explanation, plausible or not. Fine by me, and I figured if it went another month or two without actually shipping me anything, I'd just cancel it if they didn't beat me to it by shuttering the whole experiment. But, I just got an order notice from Amazon. No exclusive this time, but rather a recent pressing (supposedly very good, according to Discogs reviews) of Fleetwood Mac's Tusk. I've got an expanded 2-disc CD, but I think I'll go ahead and keep the vinyl anyway. A bit disappointed they don't seem to have exclusives lined up, or at least with any regularity.

So upshot, this continues to be a decent deal, with the added enticement of the mystery selections if you dig that kind of thing, for people wanting to build a classic rock collection. Or maybe something to look into if your classic rock collection is a bit beat up and you're looking to get new copies of nice pressings (which has been the case for everything I've received) for a bit of a discount off of regular Amazon prices.

Follow up about this "club." Not only did I not get a mailing for July, but there wasn't anything shipped or a charge for August either, and this time without any explanation, plausible or not. Fine by me, and I figured if it went another month or two without actually shipping me anything, I'd just cancel it if they didn't beat me to it by shuttering the whole experiment. But, I just got an order notice from Amazon. No exclusive this time, but rather a recent pressing (supposedly very good, according to Discogs reviews) of Fleetwood Mac's Tusk. I've got an expanded 2-disc CD, but I think I'll go ahead and keep the vinyl anyway. A bit disappointed they don't seem to have exclusives lined up, or at least with any regularity.

So upshot, this continues to be a decent deal, with the added enticement of the mystery selections if you dig that kind of thing, for people wanting to build a classic rock collection. Or maybe something to look into if your classic rock collection is a bit beat up and you're looking to get new copies of nice pressings (which has been the case for everything I've received) for a bit of a discount off of regular Amazon prices.
Maybe they only have a set amount of releases they plan to do this for or maybe don't expect people to stay long? It's weird that they stopped completely.

Back