A Problem Called Morrissey And What To Do About It

Captainfog

Admaxistrator
Admin
This long and thoughtful post from Billy Bragg about Morrissey's latest in a long line of racist transgressions begs the question what should the music community do with him? He is indie rock royalty, but IMO his crown should be thrown in the bin. Thoughts?

Been done with Morissey for many years now. Just trying to hang on to my fondness for The Smiths at this point. The whole booking tours and canceling tours/shows just became comical. Always coming up with excuses and blaming anyone else but himself. All of this racist/nationalist shit is just strong reinforcement for me.

Also, I don't think this paints Brandon Flowers in a very good light. I thought he sounded like he sucked in the Meet Me In The Bathroom book and was someone who was more concerned about being commercially appealing than he was about the art he was making and this is exactly the sort of 'don't want to rock the boat' comment I'd expect from him.

Also, I don't think this paints Brandon Flowers in a very good light. I thought he sounded like he sucked in the Meet Me In The Bathroom book and was someone who was more concerned about being commercially appealing than he was about the art he was making and this is exactly the sort of 'don't want to rock the boat' comment I'd expect from him.

BFlo totally sucks.
Interpol sucks for going on tour with him soon.
The guest vocalists on his new album suck.

This racist garbage is not brand new information.

BFlo totally sucks.
Interpol sucks for going on tour with him soon.
The guest vocalists on his new album suck.

This racist garbage is not brand new information.

I really don't know very much about Brandon Flowers. What's he done?

At this point, I feel like most people have gotten to where they won't listen to solo Morrissey but are still trying to justify their love of the Smiths.

It's tough for some of us. I mean, 16 year old me didn't know what a twat Morrissey really was back then. And I absorbed those Smiths albums. I don't reach for them the way I once did, but, those songs were very meaningful at one time.

I try my best to separate the artist from the art, that being said I can't listen to his solo work. He's proven time and time again to be a complete motherfucker. That being said I just listen to The Smiths with the sad foreknowledge that the frontman is going to be a total douche in a few years and continue to be so for the ensuing decades...

It's tough for some of us. I mean, 16 year old me didn't know what a twat Morrissey really was back then. And I absorbed those Smiths albums. I don't reach for them the way I once did, but, those songs were very meaningful at one time.
I can't say as though I'm as big of a Smiths fan as others are but I definitely have an adoration for a number of their songs so whenever I see Morrissey's "everyone ultimately prefers their own race" bullshit pop up in my Twitter feed, it's just twisting the knife. It's a very unfortunate part of getting older, realizing the artists behind some of your favorite records are absolute pieces of shit.

What actually surprised me more than Flowers’ comment was this one from Nick Cave, a bit more nuance but still I was kind of surprised...

Nick Cave was interviewed by Billy Corgan in the early 90's and out douched Corgan. That's an achievement in pretentious asshole-ry.

Back