2024 Reading Challenge

I'm starting this one today...

Book 4 - The Wager

View attachment 194833

I finished this yesterday, I read it in less than a week, because I seriously couldn't put it down. I compare it to Into Thin Air only because of how compelling the story was for me...that was another one I couldn't put down. Highly recommended.

Books 4-6
#4 T.R. Napper - 36 Streets. Old school cyberpunk. It was fine, nothing earth shattering.
IMG_0153.jpg

#5 Michel Faber - Listen. He looks at how we listen and why. I enjoyed the book. I loved his section of 'classical music', calling symphonies tribute acts.
IMG_0154.jpg

#6 Marc Masters - High Bias. The impact of the compact cassette on music. Fun read but somewhat repetitive.
IMG_0164.jpg

Book 2 - In The Distance by Hernan Diaz

I went into this one blind (how I prefer it). I really really enjoyed Trust last year, and that was my only preconceived notion, and as it turned out the two books have almost nothing in common. I respect an author who can shape shift and take a completely different voice between books, and Diaz seems to be that. This is a western style novel about a Swedish immigrant who finds himself trying to get from San Francisco to NYC in the mid 1800s. It's beautifully written, and a bit disorienting... Every time I thought it was hitting a rhythm, something would happen and the story would pivot. I liked but didn't love this one as much as I thought I would.

Book 10

Hendrix – Electric Requiem by Mattia Colombara & Gianluca Maconi

20240218_122208.jpg

A very enjoyable blend of fact and fantasy with some stellar moments of visual storytelling. I enjoyed this even more than I thought I would.

Book 11

Zodiac: A Graphic Memoir by Ai Weiwei with Elettra Stamboulis & Gianluca Costantini
20240218_135858.jpg

I got to see an Ai Weiwei exhibit in Indianapolis before tailgating a Bob Dylan show in Noblesville while on tour back in the summer of 2013. The exhibit was much more immersive and profound than I'd expected - so much so that my tourmates, our local host and I wound up staying much longer than planned and missed My Morning Jacket and all but the last two songs of Wilco as a result. Disappointing, but worth it. Similarly, this graphic memoir moved me more than expected and took me to fascinating spaces. Sequenced through a lens of the Chinese zodiac this memoir is far more of a philosophical journey than it is a straightforward biographical narrative, laced with great doses of hope, humour and beauty. I reckon I'll be picking this one up for the shelf so I can revisit it many more times.

Book 11

Zodiac: A Graphic Memoir by Ai Weiwei with Elettra Stamboulis & Gianluca Costantini
20240218_135858.jpg

I got to see an Ai Weiwei exhibit in Indianapolis before tailgating a Bob Dylan show in Noblesville while on tour back in the summer of 2013. The exhibit was much more immersive and profound than I'd expected - so much so that my tourmates, our local host and I wound up staying much longer than planned and missed My Morning Jacket and all but the last two songs of Wilco as a result. Disappointing, but worth it. Similarly, this graphic memoir moved me more than expected and took me to fascinating spaces. Sequenced through a lens of the Chinese zodiac this memoir is far more of a philosophical journey than it is a straightforward biographical narrative, laced with great doses of hope, humour and beauty. I reckon I'll be picking this one up for the shelf so I can revisit it many more times.
If you ever find yourself in Yorkshire, UK - check out the Yorkshire Sculpture Park. It has hundreds of great sculptures from global artists but one of them is an amazing circle of zodiac heads by Ai Weiwei in bronze, all mounted on tall posts. They’re beautiful to take in in person.

I got lucky too when just by chance we were visiting Alcatraz only to discover an amazing and immersive Ai Weiwei exhibit about freedom and imprisonment being held there. Like you, we ended up spending way longer there than we anticipated because of this.

Book 3: The Honjin Murders, by Seishi Yokomizo
IMG_3881.jpg
Book club read right here; we voted on this one out of a selection of three early-to-mid-century detective novels. This one's the first of a series revolving around a rumpled amateur detective named Kosuke Kindaichi, who went on to appear in over 70 more novels. I've only read a couple Japanese novels, but it seems like the tone here is in line with those: the prose is very direct, and as a result, the story is a very straight-forward description of the murder scene, the detective arriving and (very) briefly reviewing the details we've been given, then outlining exactly what happened. At one point the author includes a map of the scene, then politely reminds the reader to refer to it during crucial segments. I'm a bit skeptical of the physics, but this was an enjoyable enough read.

Book 4: Fathers and Children, by Ivan Turgenev
IMG_3883.jpg
Holy effing ess. I'm late to the game on Russian lit (my big introduction came with Saunders' Swim in a Pond in the Rain a couple years back) but so far these 19th century mfers are batting 100 (1000?) with me. I'm struggling a bit to capture what I enjoyed so much about this book as I get further from it, but there's a real clarity of place and character with which I'm really vibing. Turgenev picks his characters apart with such tenacity; as a middle-aged(ish) person seeing the push-pull between my generation and those ahead and behind me, a lot of the self-manufactured conflict between the younger and older characters hits home. Great stuff.

Book 5: Three-Body Problem, by Cixin Liu
IMG_3882.jpg
This one's a reread in anticipation of the Netflix series coming at the end of next month; it'd been 8 years since I first read it and I wanted to brush up. I'm concerned that Benioff and Weiss are trying to add a lot of badass action and tense drama to a deeply geeky book. This book gets a lot of deserved flak for being dry and containing a lot of paper-thin characters, but there's an emotional spine to this book and series which deserves more love. It's definitely tripping over itself to get into the scientific weeds (the sophon-folding sequence near the end of the book is a tough hang and I didn't even try to pay full attention to it this time around), but larger questions of humanity, love, and existentialism hover over the proceedings, especially in the next two books. I'll probably tackle those this summer and fall, respectively.

Last edited:
Book 3: The Honjin Murders, by Seishi Yokomizo
View attachment 195847
Book club read right here; we voted on this one out of a selection of three early-to-mid-century detective novels. This one's the first of a series revolving around a rumpled amateur detective named Kosuke Kindaichi, who went on to appear in mover 70 more novels. I've only read a couple Japanese novels, but it seems like the tone here is in line with those: the prose is very direct, and as a result, the story is a very straight-forward description of the murder scene, the detective arriving and (very) briefly reviewing the details we've been given, then outlining exactly what happened. At one point the author includes a map of the scene, then politely reminds the reader to refer to it during crucial segments. I'm a bit skeptical of the physics, but this was an enjoyable enough read.

Book 4: Fathers and Children, by Ivan Turgenev
View attachment 195848
Holy effing ess. I'm late to the game on Russian lit (my big introduction came with Saunders' Swim in a Pond in the Rain a couple years back) but so far these 19th century mfers are batting 100 (1000?) with me. I'm struggling a bit to capture what I enjoyed so much about this book as I get further from it, but there's a real clarity of place and character with which I'm really vibing. Turgenev picks his characters apart with such tenacity; as a middle-aged(ish) person seeing the push-pull between my generation and those ahead and behind me, a lot of the self-manufactured conflict between the younger and older characters hits home. Great stuff.

Book 5: Three-Body Problem, by Cixin Liu
View attachment 195849
This one's a reread in anticipation of the Netflix series coming at the end of next month; it'd been 8 years since I first read it and I wanted to brush up. I'm concerned that Benioff and Weiss are trying to add a lot of badass action and tense drama to a deeply geeky book. This book gets a lot of deserved flak for being dry and containing a lot of paper-thin characters, but there's an emotional spine to this book and series which deserves more love. It's definitely tripping over itself to get into the scientific weeds (the sophon-folding sequence near the end of the book is a tough hang and I didn't even try to pay full attention to it this time around), but larger questions of humanity, love, and existentialism hover over the proceedings, especially in the next two books. I'll probably tackle those this summer and fall, respectively.
I've read a bit of Russian lit (Anna Karenina is on my all time top 10) but never any Turgenev. This one just made my list. Thanks!

Three-Body Problem is sitting on my digital "to be read" pile
I'll admit rereading it was a bit less exciting especially as I'd argue book 1 turns out to be the story Liu is telling in order to tell the stories in books 2 and 3, but the experience of reading Three-Body for the first time will always sit with me.

I've read a bit of Russian lit (Anna Karenina is on my all time top 10) but never any Turgenev. This one just made my list. Thanks!
Anna Karenina is a mountain I will climb one day. Probably not this year, but maybe this coming winter; I'm currently in the middle of my Honkin' Big Great Literary Work read and will need to breathe a little. 😅

Understandable. I mix it up from fiction to non-fiction, but also heavy to light.
I don't know if anyone else is like this, but I need that dopamine hit of reading something quickly; if I stack 500+ page books one after the other, the more likely I am to put one down through no fault of the work itself. Heck, if I'm still on a 200-page book after a couple weeks I start asking myself what I'm doing here.

I don't know if anyone else is like this, but I need that dopamine hit of reading something quickly; if I stack 500+ page books one after the other, the more likely I am to put one down through no fault of the work itself. Heck, if I'm still on a 200-page book after a couple weeks I start asking myself what I'm doing here.
That's where the 33 1/3 series comes in handy!

Book 12

June Fourth Elegies by Liu Xiaobo
20240226_125012.jpg

Both the poet and a quotation from this book were featured in Ai Weiwei's graphic memoir and piqued my interest. Twenty years of elegies for the Tiennamen Massacre, written at home, in prison and in re-education camps by a direct participant and the actions and hunger strikes that led to the violent government response. It is by no means a light read, but it is stunningly beautiful and incredibly important.

Book 3 - Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow by Gabrielle Zevin

I suspect I'm way late to the party on this one, as I usually am. But what a fun read! It's a coming of age love story, of sorts, through the eyes of three friends who decide to make video games together. It's dorky, and sweet, and smartly written with a ton of cultural and geographical touchpoints that kept me thoroughly engaged. My first Gabrielle Zevin book, I think, but I'll definitely search out others.

Back