2022 Reading Challenge

Book 3: The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down by Anne Fadiman

Wow, I only read this in two weeks? Uh, I can't recommend this enough. I can't remember the last time I read a book where every sentence added something to the situation. Near the beginning of the book is an anecdote about a Hmong student in college being asked to give a 5-minute lecture on a recipe. The student picks fish soup, simple enough, but he proceeds to talk as well about Hmong fishing and farming practices, home life and tradition - eventually sprawling into a 45-minute lecture, the idea that the Hmong “talk of many things.” This was apparently the form Fadiman was going for when she was writing the book, which is not to say it's absurdly long. Being about the cultural differences between the Hmong and the American medical community as they come up against each other over the treatment of a young epileptic girl, rather than just give background on the Hmong and then lay out the case history - not to say there would have been lacking in that - instead finds through-lines between moments, switching between multiple perspectives in moments and between the case history and recent Hmong history on a chapter-by-chapter basis, fluidly and coherently to trace out the odd angles of the interactions themselves. This is a book Fadiman clearly had to live in to make. It'd be remiss not to caution that a little after the middle point of the book has some absolutely harrowing imagery in it - of lesser-known parts of the Vietnam War, of medical catastrophies, and the description of rituals involving animal sacrifice. But this isn't heavy and grim and humorless and devoid of light, like Heart of Darkness or whatever. These are incredibly sympathetic depictions of people going through life, which, as all lives do, contain some horrible things in it. About the only thing negative I can think to say about it is I think the first chapter is kinda stilted. I'd advise at least looking up the preface since that's readily found on Amazon, and if it seems like your kind of thing then… Add it to the pile, we all know how things go.

Man sometimes things just poke me in the right way and it all comes flowing out.

NEXT UP: BLEAK HOUSE BY CHARLES DICKENS and maybe RED FAMINE by Anne Applebaum if I feel like trying to do two longue books at once. My friend picked it up a couple years ago and it seemed like something I'd want to read and finally borrowed it off him.

20220207_232141.jpg

Novel 3/ 2022

Nana Rademacher „Wir waren hier“ (We were here) (about 220 pages) from 2016

This is rather a youth novel as from its style you can see that its target audience are teenagers. It's also a dystopian novel. I've read it in between. The plot is set in a dark and sinister future, past the year 2040. Worldwide wars and natural disasters have changed the order of the world. Germany is run by a military government, which got no problem killing civilians to turn down riots or to put kids into camps to indoctrinate them. In the past there seems to have been a civil war as well. Cities are in debris and flowers can be seen only once in a while. We look at this bleak world through the eyes of Anna, who is around 16 years old. She falls in love with a boy named Ben, who works for the resistance. The novel depicts their journey together and apart through various scenaries. It showed me how wonderful (despite all obstacles) the world is that we can enjoy nowadays including all the music, while all music the people in that future do have is the one you can create yourself (with a flute in that case). As far as I can see the book hasn't been translated yet.

Novel 4/ 2022

Alexander Rahr „2054. Putin decodiert“ (2054. Putin decoded), 400 pages, 2018

I've read this novel parallell to the one above. Alexander Rahr is a German expert on Russia and Eastern Europe. This book is a novel and it mixes the genres of political thriller, mystery and history. Especially in the lights of the current situation regarding Putin and the threatened attack on Ukraine it was a very interesting and fascinating reading, especially since the writer explains parts of the Russian perspective.

The book focusses on the prophecies written down by Nostradamus around 1558, and especially on his letter to King Henry II, which unlike his famous quatrains that are in no chronological order gives the alleged development of the world in mostly chronological order, though still in unclear words. I had looked at this topic before and it's indeed fascinating how much truth Nostradamus seems to have known ( for instance he correctly names the year 1666 as the year of the great fire in London, the year 1792 as a time of great change and antireligious movements (French Revolution), names both Napoleon and Hitler (Hister) in his quatrains, he indicates the exact length of the Sowiet Union (73 years and 7 months, as he says, and it lasted from November 1917 till summer 1991 when first free elections had been allowed in Russia), he names the fascist countries before WW2 correctly (Spain, Italy, and Germany), and also that Germany will loose the big war. He even mentions the word „Holocaust“ in that letter and says that New Babylon (which must've been the Sowiet Union) will be augmented by the „first Holocaust“ which seems to refer to the situation after WW2 when the Soviet Union was enabled to stretch.).

As usually with Nostradamus it's not too hard to see he correctly has predicted events in the past (by whatever means he was able to do that, whether revelation by some God, time travelers, aliens, whatever, but he has known too much for it to be coincidence, in my opion), but it's hard to interpret events that are still ahead of us. So the novel plays among secret orders and secret agents of various governments who try to figure out what he has predicted to be able to be a step ahead. It was a very exciting reading and I've read that book within a few days. It doesn't seem to be available in English yet.

IMG_20220210_163048.jpg

IMG_20220210_164455.jpg

Book 2

A Listener's Guide to Free Improvisation by John Corbett
20220210_161715.jpg

This one has been sitting beside my computer for a few weeks but they've been an incredibly busy few weeks. Today felt like my first truly proper bit of time off in a long while - I woke up with the house fully to myself put on some music and finally cracked into this. It's been a minute since I've read a non-poetry book in a single day and it felt really nice to do so today. I enjoyed this little tome immensely. Corbett's writing is breezy and easy to read - particularly nice when diving into something as complex and esoteric as musical improvisation. Very accessible with a liberal sprinkle of good humour and solid recommendations for further reading and listening. I would recommend this to anybody with anything more than a passing interest in improvised music or free jazz. I have a bunch of other John Corbett books on my want-to-read list and am even more excited to get to them after reading this one.

Book 2

A Listener's Guide to Free Improvisation by John Corbett
View attachment 128449

This one has been sitting beside my computer for a few weeks but they've been an incredibly busy few weeks. Today felt like my first truly proper bit of time off in a long while - I woke up with the house fully to myself put on some music and finally cracked into this. It's been a minute since I've read a non-poetry book in a single day and it felt really nice to do so today. I enjoyed this little tome immensely. Corbett's writing is breezy and easy to read - particularly nice when diving into something as complex and esoteric as musical improvisation. Very accessible with a liberal sprinkle of good humour and solid recommendations for further reading and listening. I would recommend this to anybody with anything more than a passing interest in improvised music or free jazz. I have a bunch of other John Corbett books on my want-to-read list and am even more excited to get to them after reading this one.
Ah this is great, thanks for sharing.

I have mentioned before that I have Corbett's "Vinyl Freak: Love Letters to a Dying Medium" which collates all of his articles written for Downbeat. The articles were essentially deep dives into his collection which highlighted the rarest out of print records he had (many of which are free jazz/avant garde). Personally, I found the chapter at the end to be the best read which was a lengthy story of how he came to acquire a ton of Sun Ra's personal records, outfits, literature, paraphernalia etc from the house of his manager after he passed away. I think that sounds like your jam too so might be a good one to get eventually? My copy came with an orange flexi disc of a rare Sun Ra single as well.

I will have to hunt down a copy of they book you have now as well!

I think that sounds like your jam too so might be a good one to get eventually?

Yeah, this is high on my want list for sure! Thanks to a combination of your previously having mentioned it and, shortly after, having read an excerpt of the Sun Ra chapter. I'm trying to hold out and track down a copy of the first run of this one, as subsequent copies don't come with the flexi disc and I quite want a copy that does!

Book 6: Ducks, Newburyport - Lucy Ellmann

B40AC288-F253-446C-ACBE-E634E839376D.jpeg
I’ve spent the best part of a fortnight reading this, the last few days laying in bed isolating with Covid put the last 30% away quicker than expected.
It’s one hell of a novel and unlike anything I’ve read before so I find it hard to review and do it justice.
There are definitely moments where the writing is sublime. Definitely moments where I felt completely linked with the narrator, a 40 year old American housewife, mother of 4 in her second marriage. There were probably more moments where she left me feeling completely alienated from her as she drifts seamlessly from thought to thought, word to word.
For those unaware, the book is effectively a 1000 page long sentence with no actual dialogue, although some is considered within the continuous internal monologue that our narrator puts forth. It’s riveting at times but like anyone’s thoughts, it’s rather dull at times too.
The only breaks in the main stream are to allow a second narrative, told in a much more traditional manner, of a mountain lion, herself becoming a mother and her quest to find her lost cubs. These interludes last only a couple of pages at a time and crop up around 10 times throughout the whole book. This second narrative does enter the main narrative near the end.
I remember seeing a comedian on a UK panel show describe her experience with ADHD and there are certainly times within the main story where our narrator’s thought progressions and digressions made me wonder whether she too has ADHD although it isn’t specified within.
I’d previously read some reviews and it seems the most popular criticism is the length of the book, that the effect could be achieved in a fraction of the pages. It’s difficult to disagree with that: the actual linear narrative told probably consumes about only 50 of the 1000 pages were it told in a more traditional manner. But, it’s those other 950 pages where Ellmann’s magic takes place. She allows a real human being to take form as we learn of her unresolved issues with her parents, especially ‘Mommy’, her anxiety around a Trump presidency, her fear of weapons, why there are so many weapons, why men just have to carry them around in open carry states, school shootings past and more recent, racial injustice, police brutality, police apathy, making ends meet by baking pies, why the local store hasn’t paid her for the past 20 pies she made for them, her past health issues, Tommy Lee Jones and Harrison Ford’s relationship shift in The Fugitive, did she devote too much time to her second husband and in doing so, neglect her eldest child etc., etc.
The juxtaposition of the two concurrent storylines is so clever: at the heart these are two mothers who have the same purpose - to love, to feed and to protect their children. Ellmann makes sure we get a bare bones, purely animal take on the mountain lion’s experience compared to a complex, personal, unique take on the human condition.
Could the book have been shorter and stayed effective? Possibly, yes. But, the lion at least is given a name, our lead narrator isn’t so one could argue Ellmann could have even squeezed a few more words in there!

Last edited:

View attachment 128491
I’ve spent the best part of a fortnight reading this, the last few days laying in bed isolating with Covid put the last 30% away quicker than expected.
It’s one hell of a novel and unlike anything I’ve read before so I find it hard to review and do it justice.
There are definitely moments where the writing is sublime. Definitely moments where I felt completely linked with the narrator, a 40 year old American housewife, mother of 4 in her second marriage. There were probably more moments where she left me feeling completely alienated from her as she drifts seamlessly from thought to thought, word to word.
For those unaware, the book is effectively a 1000 page long sentence with no actual dialogue, although some is considered within the continuous internal monologue that our narrator puts forth. It’s riveting at times but like anyone’s thoughts, it’s rather dull at times too.
The only breaks in the main stream are to allow a second narrative, told in a much more traditional manner, of a mountain lion, herself becoming a mother and her quest to find her lost cubs. These interludes last only a couple of pages at a time and crop up around 10 times throughout the whole book. This second narrative does enter the main narrative near the end.
I remember seeing a comedian on a UK panel show describe her experience with ADHD and there are certainly times within the main story where our narrator’s thought progressions and digressions made me wonder whether she too had ADHD although it isn’t specified within.
I’d previously read some reviews and it seems the most popular criticism is the length of the book, that the the effect could be achieved in a fraction of the pages. It’s difficult to disagree with that: the actual linear narrative told probably consumes about only 50 of the 1000 pages were it told in a more traditional manner. But, it’s those other 950 pages where Ellmann’s magic takes place. She allows a real human being to take form as we learn of her unresolved issues with her parents, especially ‘Mommy’, her anxiety around a Trump presidency, her fear of weapons, why there are so many weapons, why men just have to carry them around in open carry states, school shootings past and more recent, racial injustice, police brutality, police apathy, making ends meet by baking pies, why the local store hasn’t paid her for the past 20 pies she made for them, her past health issues, Tommy Lee Jones and Harrison Ford’s relationship shift in The Fugitive, did she devote too much time to her second husband and in doing so, neglect her eldest child etc., etc.
The juxtaposition of the two concurrent storylines is so clever: at the heart these are two mothers who have the same purpose - to love, to feed and to protect their children. Ellmann makes sure we get a bare bones, purely animal take on the mountain lion’s experience compared to a complex, personal, unique take on the human condition.
Could the book have been shorter and stayed effective? Possibly, yes. But, the lion at least is given a name, our lead narrator isn’t so one could argue Ellmann could have even squeezed a few more words in there!
Thanks for this interesting write-up! The book is definitely intriguing. I haven't had a chance to leaf through it at a bookstore or anything, but one thing I've been wondering is without any punctuation or sentence breaks, how do you find a place to pause for the day?

Thanks for this interesting write-up! The book is definitely intriguing. I haven't had a chance to leaf through it at a bookstore or anything, but one thing I've been wondering is without any punctuation or sentence breaks, how do you find a place to pause for the day?
With difficulty to be honest, the first half I'd just been reading on my regular commutes (about 30 minutes at a time) and during breaks at work so it wasn't unusual to have to go back a few 'paragraphs' to pick up a thread again. There are semi-frequent interludes from a song lyric which are quoted with surrounding 🎵's so they offered some break points if desired but even with them I had to go back a bit each time I picked up reading again.

View attachment 128491
I remember seeing a comedian on a UK panel show describe her experience with ADHD and there are certainly times within the main story where our narrator’s thought progressions and digressions made me wonder whether she too has ADHD although it isn’t specified within.
I’d previously read some reviews and it seems the most popular criticism is the length of the book, that the effect could be achieved in a fraction of the pages. It’s difficult to disagree with that: the actual linear narrative told probably consumes about only 50 of the 1000 pages were it told in a more traditional manner. But, it’s those other 950 pages where Ellmann’s magic takes place. She allows a real human being to take form as we learn of her unresolved issues with her parents, especially ‘Mommy’, her anxiety around a Trump presidency, her fear of weapons, why there are so many weapons, why men just have to carry them around in open carry states, school shootings past and more recent, racial injustice, police brutality, police apathy, making ends meet by baking pies, why the local store hasn’t paid her for the past 20 pies she made for them, her past health issues, Tommy Lee Jones and Harrison Ford’s relationship shift in The Fugitive, did she devote too much time to her second husband and in doing so, neglect her eldest child etc., etc.
I have the ebook for this, but I have been intimidated to read it because I am a person that gets stressed out stopping in the middle of a chapter, also it's super long. But this sounds really interesting so I might need to work up the courage to read it sooner rather than later!

View attachment 128491
Sounds like an interesting concept for sure!

Hope you are on the mend, cant imagine its been a great time with Covid.

I have the ebook for this, but I have been intimidated to read it because I am a person that gets stressed out stopping in the middle of a chapter, also it's super long. But this sounds really interesting so I might need to work up the courage to read it sooner rather than later!
It took me a few days for my brain to get used to it but once I’d realised it was out of my hands, I stopped worrying about stopping reading. Within the continuous thought there are fairly definitive trains of thought that might last from half a page to 10 pages and while they do slip seamlessly from one to another, I found I could impose a ‘right, when she moves on from this I’m stopping reading’ regime. Definitely long though. My kindle estimated at my speed it was around 35 hours and I‘d say that was probably pretty accurate.
Hope you are on the mend, cant imagine its been a great time with Covid.
Thanks mate, bloody awful it is. My eldest lad had it before Christmas and was largely symptom free. No such luck here unfortunately, it’s like a supercharged cold with allover body aches, lethargy, persistent sneezing and a shit of a cough that’s left me with rib and back pains galore. just starting day 3 so hoping I can start feeling better soon.

Book 7: Mr. Loverman - Bernardine Evaristo

D3CAC578-CB85-4A12-B673-130AF266DF19.jpeg
I wanted something to celebrate love as we approach St. Valentines Day and this has been in my to read pile for a while now.
It’s the story of a septuagenarian Antiguan migrant, Barrington Walker, living right here in London - husband, father of two, successful property owner/landlord and long-time lover of his oldest and dearest friend, Morris. A tale as old as time really!
Throughout the novel there are chapters told from a second voice, that of Carmel(ita), Barrington’s wife which are written more in verse than prose and all titled, “Song of…”
Funny and sad in equal measures, the novel shows the way cultural and religious expectations get in the way of true love and consequently cause pain and anguish down the road while still allowing the belief that even in later life, it’s never too late to start over.
It’s a possibly unique take on the Caribbean Windrush immigrant experience dealing with serious issues like coming out, homophobia and post-natal depression yet it manages to maintain a light-hearted rom-com feel to it which was just what I fancied. Looking forward to more Evaristo.

Book 8: High Fidelity - Nick Hornby

D0870B19-71E1-4BDA-92F7-B0F5DB6917A3.jpeg
It might seem like sacrilege that a record collector has never read this but for whatever reason, I just never got around to it. It’s a shame really, I think 20 year old me might have found more to like about Rob than 46 year old me does and perhaps the novel just hasn’t aged well in a post Me Too world. He just came across as a self-indulgent, self-centred, selfish shitbag for the vast majority of the novel who blamed the women in his life for all of his failings.
I saw the film years ago and more recently the TV show and I don’t remember the lead characterisations in either of those being nearly as unlikeable.
I enjoyed the book nonetheless, it was well written, funny and sad at times in all the right places, well paced and featured several recognisable characters. I just wish Rob had had a few more redeeming features.

View attachment 128935
It might seem like sacrilege that a record collector has never read this but for whatever reason, I just never got around to it. It’s a shame really, I think 20 year old me might have found more to like about Rob than 46 year old me does and perhaps the novel just hasn’t aged well in a post Me Too world. He just came across as a self-indulgent, self-centred, selfish shitbag for the vast majority of the novel who blamed the women in his life for all of his failings.
I saw the film years ago and more recently the TV show and I don’t remember the lead characterisations in either of those being nearly as unlikeable.
I enjoyed the book nonetheless, it was well written, funny and sad at times in all the right places, well paced and featured several recognisable characters. I just wish Rob had had a few more redeeming features.
I'm of the opinion that this is the best thing Hornby has done:

"That's why I'm not Dickens: KIDS" runs through my head on a daily basis.

Edit: weirdly relevant second verse considering the theme of this thread.

View attachment 128935
Ah cool, I was sorting through some books over the weekend that I need to shelve and this was one of them. It's been a few years since I last read it so it's on my reading list.

View attachment 128491
God, this book whips, can't think of another one this long I actually want to read again.

I'll hop in on this and give incremental updates even though I don't really do numerical goals anymore, and try to just focus on enjoying the books I do read.

Book One:

Room to Dream by David Lynch and Krisitine McKenna - A carry-over from last year. Interesting enough, but the writing's a little dry. Would really only recommend to Lynch heads.

Book Two:

Born to Run by Bruce Springsteen - A delight. Entertaining, but also honest and pretty moving. Told with all the brio you expect from the boss at this point.

Book Three:

Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel - Pretty good! Probably the only piece of apocalypse fiction that actually made me feel pretty optimistic about the end of days.

Book Four:

The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion - My first encounter with Joan shockingly, and can't say that I "enjoyed" it in the traditional sense. Really painful piece. Probably shouldn't have started with this one, but I look forward to looking into her more iconic work.

Currently reading Bullshit Jobs by David Graeber. Wanting to get a couple more novels in before I tackle War and Peace this Spring.

Book 4: Harlem Shuffle by Coulson Whitehead

Having read Underground Railroad and Nickel Boys and marveling at Whitehead's ability to tell vital, lyrical stories that still propel themselves in a highly readable manner, I was looking forward to this one. The story is a noir yarn concerning Carney, a furniture salesman who is simultaneously trying to gain legitimacy and status as a businessman while also slipping into the criminal world as a fence for goods stolen by his cousin.

The story is structured into three sections as 1) Carney's cousin forces him into flipping stolen goods from a big hotel heist that brings Carney into the wider criminal world, 2) Carney is snubbed by a sort of businessman's club and he formulates a plan to steal back a "bribe" a member had implied would get him into said club, and 3) backdropped by the Harlem riots of 1964, Carney's cousin enlists his help in robbing a friend.

The first two sections represented a pretty clear character and thematic arc for Carney, while the third (to me) leaned really hard on the cousin relationship in a way that I'm not sure was really earned. Then again, I don't feel it's uncommon in noir/crime to end a plot-heavy story on a left-turn of "the story's always been about the relationship between these two people, and will end with either an uneasy union or parting of ways that leaves much unresolved."

Overall, really good, especially if you meet it on its own terms.

Having read Underground Railroad and Nickel Boys and marveling at Whitehead's ability to tell vital, lyrical stories that still propel themselves in a highly readable manner, I was looking forward to this one.
I read Underground Railroad not knowing it was a speculative fiction take, and when the title got literal I was *very confused*.

Back