2022 Reading Challenge

What are you into, poetry-wise?
I am out of the loop when it comes to the most current poets, other than Jericho Brown. I enjoy contemporary-ish, voice-driven lady poets like Sandra Cisneros, Dorianne Laux, Sharon Olds. I like outsider poetry (there type of stuff collected in The Outlaw Bible of American Poetry) too. I love weird shit.

I'd like to catch up with more current poets, and maybe explore more from earlier in the 20th century.

Ooh, fun! I don't know about a specific goal, but I definitely want to read more books and less internet this year. More poetry. Maybe even non-fiction--we have so many great books on policing and anarchy here.

As a teenager I easily read 800 pages a day in summer. That is definitely not close to ever happening again.

Wuthering Heights and One Hundred Years of Solitude are two of my all-time favorites. I've read a lot of literary fiction over the years, but now I'm mainly going for fun stuff. I've read 4 of T. Kingfisher's himbo paladin books this month. I'd like to finally finish the last few Sandman Slim novels this year, and catch up on at least severeal of my friends' books.

Anyway, yay! Fun!

I'm reading Wuthering Heights at the moment, it's my book 2 of the year and I'm keen to keep adding in the odd classic that I've never gotten around to reading. I'm about half way through Vol. 2 and it's definitely not what I was expecting; it's way heavier going than I expected and almost every character is just awful. I think in my head, I had it figured as a romantic story of a love that shouldn't be and it's proving so much more. The mental illness, the cycles of abuse, the gossips and the shit-stirrers - it's just incredibly bleak.

I am out of the loop when it comes to the most current poets, other than Jericho Brown. I enjoy contemporary-ish, voice-driven lady poets like Sandra Cisneros, Dorianne Laux, Sharon Olds. I like outsider poetry (there type of stuff collected in The Outlaw Bible of American Poetry) too. I love weird shit.

I'd like to catch up with more current poets, and maybe explore more from earlier in the 20th century.
I'm taking a contemporary poetry class this semester. If you'd like, I can send you some of the stuff we read.

Book #3: Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe - Benjamin Alire Sáenz

This is another book that was required for college. I'm surprised that I read 2 books in a week, but both were YA so I guess the math checks out. This book really surprised me. I picked it from the list of options because I thought it sounded cool. I figured it would be about the real Aristotle and Dante. Plot twist, it's not, it's about two Mexican-American boys living in the 80s. There are intense, complicated family relationships that are explored, but arguably more importantly, the two boys fall in love and struggle with this, as in their culture being gay isn't a thing... 80s stuff, I guess. Maybe it was shitty of me to have very low expectations, but this book took me by surprise. I struggled with wanting to devour it and trying to slow my reading down because I knew it would break my heart. If you guys want an easy but beautiful read, seriously, pick this one up. I cried like three times.

I'm taking a contemporary poetry class this semester. If you'd like, I can send you some of the stuff we read.

I'd love to see your reading list for that class! Be very curious to see whereabouts my own voracious poetry reading lies in relation to contemporary academia.

I'm hoping to put a list of recommendations together for @GritNGlitter as well, the last couple of days have just been a bit too full on and exhausting to set to it quite yet.

The Outlaw Bible of American Poetry is awesome! I was first introduced to it by a colleague during a residency at the Banff Centre a dozen years ago. It's criminal that I have yet to acquire my own copy.

I'd love to see your reading list for that class! Be very curious to see whereabouts my own voracious poetry reading lies in relation to contemporary academia.

I'm hoping to put a list of recommendations together for @GritNGlitter as well, the last couple of days have just been a bit too full on and exhausting to set to it quite yet.

The Outlaw Bible of American Poetry is awesome! I was first introduced to it by a colleague during a residency at the Banff Centre a dozen years ago. It's criminal that I have yet to acquire my own copy.
The required texts:
American Journal: Fifty Poems for Our Time - selected/intro by Tracy K. Smith
Catalog of Unabashed Gratitude - Ross Gay
The Carrying - Ada Limon
A Writer's Guide and Anthology - Huey and Kaneko

The professor also handpicks poems to discuss in class that aren't in these. We've done a Heather Christle poem (Advent), and another by Tracy K. Smith (An Old Story).

eta: @GritNGlitter, I feel like you would like the aforementioned Heather Christle poem.

Absolutely! Thanks!

You're an angel! When I first moved to San Diego (well over a dozen years ago, alas), I spent a lot of time on my friend's balcony in the dark, smoking and reading and writing poetry. I read the Outlaw Bible cover to cover in that time.

Absolutely! Thanks!

You're an angel! When I first moved to San Diego (well over a dozen years ago, alas), I spent a lot of time on my friend's balcony in the dark, smoking and reading and writing poetry. I read the Outlaw Bible cover to cover in that time.

I'm sure I can come up with more (including, but not limited to, the rest of the list where these came from!) but, for now, here (in no particular order) are a dozen of my absolute favourite contemporary poetry books I've read over the past half dozen years - most of them more than once:

The Gospel of Breaking by Jillian Christmas
My Art Is Killing Me and Other Poems by Amber Dawn
Haiti Glass by Lenelle Moïse
Drunks and Other Poems of Recovery by Jack McCarthy
Homie by Danez Smith
A Fortune for Your Disaster by Hanif Abdurraqib
Re-Origin of Species by Alessandra Naccarato
The Problem with Solitaire by Lucia Misch
Magical Negro by Morgan Parker
Citizen: An American Lyric by Claudia Rankine
Still Can't Do My Daughter's Hair by William Evans
My Soft Response To The Wars by RC Weslowski

RC Weslowski in particular ought to tickle your love for weird shit. He is an absolute gem.

Hanif Abdurraqib currently has available another book of poetry, two books of essays and a full-length book that is a letter to A Tribe Called Quest - I recommend all of them very highly. He may well be my favourite writer going these days - I can find myself enraptured even by his long-form essays about bands I don't like or sports I don't watch. His debut picture book Sing, Aretha, Sing!: Aretha Franklin,"Respect," and the Civil Rights Movement is due out in a couple of weeks and it is easily one of the books I'm most excited for this year!

Not sure how you feel about concrete and conceptual poetry at all, but I've been dipping my toes deeper into those realms over the past few years too and could make recommendations there, if wanted, as well. And I'm happily here for questions or concerns if you've either.

I finally finished Know My Name by Chanel Miller. It was heartbreakingly fantastic... but as someone who is usually fine reading about difficult topics... this one hurt me.

I need to pick up something lighter now I think... but I am also enjoying all the poetry recommendations. My personal favorites I've read in the last few years that weren't already mentioned were Night Sky With Exit Wounds by Ocean Vuong (excited for his new collection and his novel is also great), and Hera Lindsay Bird by Hera Lindsay Bird.

I'm sure I can come up with more (including, but not limited to, the rest of the list where these came from!) but, for now, here (in no particular order) are a dozen of my absolute favourite contemporary poetry books I've read over the past half dozen years - most of them more than once:

The Gospel of Breaking by Jillian Christmas
My Art Is Killing Me and Other Poems by Amber Dawn
Haiti Glass by Lenelle Moïse
Drunks and Other Poems of Recovery by Jack McCarthy
Homie by Danez Smith
A Fortune for Your Disaster by Hanif Abdurraqib
Re-Origin of Species by Alessandra Naccarato
The Problem with Solitaire by Lucia Misch
Magical Negro by Morgan Parker
Citizen: An American Lyric by Claudia Rankine
Still Can't Do My Daughter's Hair by William Evans
My Soft Response To The Wars by RC Weslowski

RC Weslowski in particular ought to tickle your love for weird shit. He is an absolute gem.

Hanif Abdurraqib currently has available another book of poetry, two books of essays and a full-length book that is a letter to A Tribe Called Quest - I recommend all of them very highly. He may well be my favourite writer going these days - I can find myself enraptured even by his long-form essays about bands I don't like or sports I don't watch. His debut picture book Sing, Aretha, Sing!: Aretha Franklin,"Respect," and the Civil Rights Movement is due out in a couple of weeks and it is easily one of the books I'm most excited for this year!

Not sure how you feel about concrete and conceptual poetry at all, but I've been dipping my toes deeper into those realms over the past few years too and could make recommendations there, if wanted, as well. And I'm happily here for questions or concerns if you've either.
Thanks for the recommendations!

Book 2:

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami

I finished reading my first Murakami book earlier today. I have been wanting to read one of his books for the past year but had such a backlog of books to read that I never went out and bought one. Over Christmas, my fiancée sister brought this copy for me to read (she also has the Norwegian Wood book as well which I will borrow at some point) and I started it as soon as I finished my last book. Last night my fiancee asked me what The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle was about and I really struggled to explain it as it's so unlike anything I have read before. There is a central 'spine' to the story but it also includes dozens of random shorter stories, some of which are directly related to the main story and others which are isolated. It's the kind of book that I struggled to put down and would be thinking about it when I wasn't reading it. If anyone has any recommendations of his work which is worth reading, that would be much appreciated!

IMG_3483.JPG

Book 2:

I finished reading my first Murakami book earlier today. I have been wanting to read one of his books for the past year but had such a backlog of books to read that I never went out and bought one. Over Christmas, my fiancée sister brought this copy for me to read (she also has the Norwegian Wood book as well which I will borrow at some point) and I started it as soon as I finished my last book. Last night my fiancee asked me what The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle was about and I really struggled to explain it as it's so unlike anything I have read before. There is a central 'spine' to the story but it also includes dozens of random shorter stories, some of which are directly related to the main story and others which are isolated. It's the kind of book that I struggled to put down and would be thinking about it when I wasn't reading it. If anyone has any recommendations of his work which is worth reading, that would be much appreciated!

View attachment 125469
My favorite of his that I've read so far was A Wild Sheep Chase. It's technically the third book in a series but there's almost no connection between it and the first 2 books except for a reoccurring character and a few quick references so it can be read as a standalone. It's less weird than some of his other stuff, but it's a fun mystery set in Hokkaido.

If you like his weird stuff, I read Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World last year and while I didn't like that one quite as much it was definitely an engaging story in the way you described.

Norwegian Wood was good too but I didn't like something that happened towards the end. It's definitely the least weird of his books that I have read plotwise.

Book 2:

View attachment 125469

Definitely 1Q84.

Doing a count, I’ve read eight (eight?!? How the heck did I read eight?!?) Murakami’s and would mainly recommend Kafka on the Shore. I also enjoyed Hard-Boiled, and while I’m more ambivalent about Colorless Tuzuki, I remember devouring it over a weekend. The early novels are inessential but pleasant, a lot less surreal.

I love a long book, but I’ve been too much a coward for IQ84.

Last edited:
In other news, I finished book 2 this weekend, Nightmare Alley by William Lindsey Gresham. A really good noir yarn, pretty grim and gritty, especially for the 40s. It dragged a bit near the middle, and I’m a bit confused by the ending (maybe this is in the new movie so I’m including it here): especially the way the psychiatrist manipulates Stan into stealing from the tycoon, steals that money from Stan, then marries the tycoon. What’s the point of stealing money just to marry into it?

Gonna check out the 1947 movie this week, then try to catch the new Del Toro one before it leaves screens.

Novel 1/ 2022

Ulrich Alexander Boschwitz „Menschen neben dem Leben“ („People parallel to life“) originally from 1937

Ulrich Alexander Boschwitz, whose two novels (this one and „The Passenger“) haven't been released in Germany during his lifetime and just got re- discovered in recent years, was a writer with Jewish roots, who had moved to Sweden in 1935 after receiving a draft order by the Nazi military. He kept on escaping through various European states, till he was in England, when WWII started in 1939. He was interned as an „enemy alien“ in a British camp. After the British government decided to deport all male internees overseas, he was shipped to Sydney, Australia, where he was taken to a camp in New South Wales. During his return trip to England, on 29 October 1942, he was on the MV Abosso ship, which was torpedoed near the Azores by German Submarine and sank. Boschwitz only got 27 years old, and his last manuscript probably sank with him.

This 300 pages novel (which doesn't seem to exist in English translation yet) represents the life in Berlin at the start of the 1930s. It's after the Wall Street Crash and during the time of Great Depression worldwide. The number of unemployed people in Germany has risen from 1 million to over 6 million from 1927 to 1932. His novel focuses on people often forgotten by society, like homeless, unemployed, beggers, prostitutes and shows us a diversity of different characters and illustrates their fears and hopes. Though partly funny, it's also thoughtful and shows how easily people can drop out of society.

If you're interested in this author, I can recommend „The Passenger“, which is available in English. I've read it a few years ago. Silbermann, a respected German- Jewish business owner living in Berlin who, with his wife, have to flee their home in the immediate aftermath of the Kristallnacht pogrom of November 1938 as Nazi German soldiers pound on their door in the middle of the night. Silbermann and his wife escape from his business through the back door and travel on several trains within Germany in an attempt to flee the country. Silbermann's travels bring him to a number of individuals, some of whom are outcasts of the Nazi regime, while others embrace its ideology wholeheartedly.

IMG_20220120_103143.jpg

+1 on Murakami. Started w Kafka on the Shore back when it came out. Great read. Then Wind Up also fantastic. Also read Hard-Boiled last year. Not as good as the other two but still great and has that Murakami style that is enchanting and, at times, delirious.

I, as well, have a copy of 1Q84 on the shelf that I need to dig into one of these days.

Back