2022 Reading Challenge

The rest of the Rabbit books are interesting; he put one out each decade or so, and matches the arc of Rabbit’s life with that of American society. I only didn’t make it through #4, Rabbit at Rest, because I thought it’d be cute to read on a florida visit (since Rabbit retires to Florida) and got instantly depressed by his descriptions of the Tamiami Trail, an incredibly depressing highway my wife’s grandparents live off of.
I knew there was a whole Rabbit series, but I had no idea of the context. Thanks for sharing, as it makes me much more curious to read the rest. And, yeah, I've been on the Tamiami Trail. I hope to not do it again anytime soon.

#12, The Changeling (Victor LaValle): This book is fucking crazy.
I take it back. Yesterday I started reading Scott Hawkins' The Library at Mount Char, which has recalibrated my sense of what is weird. This, this book is bonkers.

So far we have murder, decapitation, necromancy, a girl raised by deer, a guy with a helmet made of dried blood, ghosts, a god who lives in a housing subdivision, child abuse and torture, a guy with the power of Dr. Dolittle, a woman who can see the future, secret languages, and more. And that's more or less just the first chapter.

It reminds me a bit of Gaiman's American Gods in its matter-of-fact treatment of the idea of a world of the supernatural that coexists alongside, but remains mostly invisible to, our own. But I'm only about 60 pages in and this has already taken enough hard turns, and every character so far is such a complete psychopath, that I have absolutely no idea what it's building to.

After a rocky start with our flight being cancelled due to staff shortages, we finally made it on our Greek holiday but for 8 days instead of the scheduled 10. My reading was a Greek trilogy - 3 books set (predominantly) in Greece.

Book 18: The Names - Don DeLillo

DeLillo.jpg
I like DeLillo's writing, this is my third or fourth book of his I've tackled. I had high hopes for it with it sounding like a mystery novel under his skilled penmanship and it is but, I found it a struggle at times. The writing was perhaps a little too challenging for me and the mystery aspects involving a murderous cult obsessed with ancient languages were somewhat lost in there as he wove those elements into the lives of the disparate group of ex-pats residing in Greece. Good but not my favourite of his nor the holiday.

Book 19: The Magus - John Fowles

Fowles.jpg
This was my favourite read of the holiday. Following a brief affair here in London, the lead character migrates to a Greek island to take up the role of a school teacher. Given an ominous warning by his predecessor, he finds himself embroiled in the manipulations and mind games of a wealthy trickster who is resident on the island. Never knowing which parts of the plot within the plot are real or fantasy, our protagonist struggles to keep his sanity and ultimately seeks his vengeance.
Superb writing, outstanding plot, likeable yet flawed characters and twists galore. Scattered with lines in Greek and Latin, I did finish it off wondering what people did before the days of Google!

Book 20: The Colossus of Maroussi - Henry Miller

Miller.jpg
On the cusp of WWII breaking out in Europe, Henry Miller leaves his home in Paris but before returning to the U.S., he visits his good friend Gerald Durrell in Greece. While there he meets the Greek writer and raconteur, George Katsimbalis. The memoir is as much a love letter to Katsimbalis and his exuberance as it is the country and its island that Miller travels extensively around. As the war spreading east looms, Miller reluctantly returns to his homeland that he seemingly resents.
Beautifully written at times but frequently rambling too. As with many rambling streams of consciousness, I often found my own thoughts drifting so this 200pp book consequently took a lot longer than expected to read as I had to backtrack, often pages at a time to reread.
I read Miller's Rosy Crucifixion trilogy, (Sexus, Plexus & Nexus) in my early '20s but I never got around to his Tropics so I must add them to my reading list soon.

Last edited:
I finished a couple of fantasy-ish novellas this week:

Book 16 - The Deep - Rivers Solomon
1650111294023.png
This book was based off a Clipping song which I thought was interesting. I also would recommend the audiobook. I loved the imagery and world building.

Book 17 - The Empress of Salt and Fortune - Nghi Vo
1650111599851.png

I picked this one up on a whim after finishing The Deep because I was still in the mood for something short. The story is about a cleric who meets an old woman who used to work for and had a relationship with the empress and she recounts her history to them. The setting is inspired by Chinese history. I liked the writing in this one as well and I will pick up the second one at some point in the future.

Book 13:

The Many Faces Of Harry Beckett by John Thurlow (Jazz In Britain, 2020)

Now, this was a pure joy to read. John Thurlow of Jazz In Britain always posts some good content on his Facebook and I have had many a good chat with him, so I expected that this would be a good book from the offset. It was. It's a collection of articles, reviews and interview snippets that John binds together with his own anecdotal information which gives it a personal edge. It also has several smaller discographies based on the musicians and groups he worked with (e.g. a discography of his Graham Collier appearances). The book is broken down into Beckett's various eras ranging from his prolific work with Collier, through to his final dub years alongside the likes of Jah Wobble. A really great book and, on a side-note, John mentioned earlier that Jazz In Britain is releasing a biography on Neil Ardley in the summer which I will certainly be ordering!

IMG_7994.JPG

#10: Dilla Time: The Life and Afterlife of J Dilla, the Hip Hop Producer Who Reinvented Rhythm, by Dan Charnas

I really liked this one. It’s part history (of Detroit), part music history, part music theory, and part biography. While it comes across, as suggest by the title, as a book that could deify Dilla, it is really balanced and shows the genius and imperfections. If you are interested in hip-hop and R&B, I would highly recommend checking this one out. It covers a ton of ground (from Tibe/Q-Tip, De La, Native tongues to Roots to Kendrick Lamar) on the birth and evolution of hip hop. On the music theory side of things, it dives into Jay Dee’s process and reverberations of his style. It also has “listening notes” with suggested tracks to listen to help demonstrate everything the author’s talking about.

dilla-time-book-cover-flat-scaled.jpg

Book 10

All The Pieces Matter - The Inside Story of The Wire by Jonathan Abrams

20220420_200521.jpg

I didn't know this book existed until I saw it while at the library with my 4-year-old a week and a half ago. I am firmly in camp "The Wire is the best television show ever," so this book was like sweet crack - great recollections and reflections from most of the key players both in front of and behind the camera. I was particularly choked with myself for leaving it at home when we went away last weekend!

Now I need to magically add 60-some hours into my schedule as soon as possible to watch the whole series over again.

Book 11

People Change by Vivek Shraya

20220421_212705.jpg

I've got a fondness for smaller 90-120 page sociological books and am a big fan of Vivek Shraya's work, so this was a no hesitation pick-up for me. A meditation on change and its places in our lives, drawing heavily on Vivek's experiences as a queer brown transfeminine artist and educator.

I don’t read newspapers or magazines on a regular basis to get ideas for modern novels so when I fancy something contemporary, I find myself looking towards the various prizes and their selections. These also tend to pop up quite frequently on Amazon’s monthly or daily deals for 99p so that’s a result too. These two were both longlisted for the 2021 Women’s Prize for Fiction and I was really impressed by both.

Book 21: Consent - Annabel Lyon

938A5346-8E47-45E0-989B-04C0E64A0DD8.jpeg
Two stories collide as a predatory man affects the lives of two pairs of twin sisters with carer-dependant relationships.
Consent, particularly in relation to people with mental health issues, guilt and ultimately revenge are all tackled in this drama/thriller. Complex in both structure and subject matter this still managed to be a really enthralling and quick read.

Book 22: How the One-Armed Sister Sweeps Her House - Cherie Jones

5310F515-A45F-4344-8266-A498D2497243.jpeg
This one I loved, it’s up there with my favourites of the year so far even though it’s difficult to read at times.
Set in a 1984 Barbados, life is anything but a paradise for the characters in this dark tale. Theft, drug smuggling, prostitution, police corruption and murder set a bleak backdrop for what the tourist board would have you think an idyllic island getaway where in reality, child and spousal abuse, rape and incest all seem commonplace for the locals.
Jones trickles out the narrative masterfully with both historic character developments and current plot line advancements coming together to present a really compelling and complete story.
I think this was her debut full length novel and it did make it to the prize’s shortlist losing out ultimately to Susanna Clarke’s Piranesi. I personally thought this was the better book and I’ll definitely be looking out for Jones’ next effort.

Book Five: Saga, Book One by Brian K. Vaughan and Fion Staples - Started a Saga reread since it started back up. Great stuff.

Book Six: Bullshit Jobs by David Graber - thought this would empower me, but honestly just made me really depressed. The situation is bad, folks.

Book seven: A Little Devil in America: Notes in Praise of Black Performance by Hanif Abdurraqib - this was pheonomal, like his last book, Go Ahead in the Rain about a Tribe Called Quest. So poetic and moving. A huge recommend to everybody here.

Book eight: The Secret History by Donna Tartt - This was great. Maybe a bit too long, but I was in it the whole time. Wonderful atmosphere. Picked up a used copy of The Goldfinch to get to at some point since I like Tartt's style.

Book nine: People From My Neighborhood by Hiroki Kawakami - Picked this up after @WhiteDahlias posted about it, but I wasn't a huge fan even though I'm usually a fan of both Japanese fiction and magical realism. Only took me a few days to read though!

Book ten: The Genius of Birds by Jennifer Ackerman - Love me a bird and this was a pretty neat Spring read.

Currently reading War and Peace which kind of rules, and I'm blasting through it very quickly. After how much I loved Anna Karenina last year, thinking Tolstoy may be my GOAT.

Book seven: A Little Devil in America: Notes in Praise of Black Performance by Hanif Abdurraqib - this was pheonomal, like his last book, Go Ahead in the Rain about a Tribe Called Quest. So poetic and moving. A huge recommend to everybody here.

Hanif is a goddamn gift!

If you've not also read his collection of essays, They Can't Kill Us Until They Kill Us, I highly highly recommend it as well.

His poetry books are also amazing and recommended to anybody who may be poetically inclined in their reading.

Book 12

Star Wars: The High Republic - Race to Crashpoint Tower by Daniel José Older

20220425_204120.jpg

Another juvenile novel from the High Republic era. This one is high octane fun. Like the "adult" novel The Rising Storm, to which this runs concurrent, the pacing of this book is stellar. An exciting and breezy read - I finished the first third in my RSD line and figured I'd finish it shortly thereafter, but forgot we had company from out of town over the weekend so I wound up finishing it at work yesterday instead.

Book 7: The Open Road by Jean Giono
IMG_0839.jpeg
I haven't done an update in a bit, mainly because of this book. Upon finishing it, I didn't know what to think. I'd planned on doing some reading of reviews and analysis, but this book gave such a slight impression that I suppose I've moved on.

It's a picaresque road novel, about an unnamed man (many reviews say this is a young man, but one very assured essay says the narrator is clearly in his 50s) traveling the French countryside looking for work. I think the narration has some intriguing elements, as the protagonist is very self-centered and while he seems to find his exploits charming, is clearly a cad.

The narrator connects with a young man only identified as The Artist; he's a cheat at cards, which the narrator finds incredibly interesting and charming. I think there's supposed to be some parallel to the relationship between a writer and a reader, though it didn't read to me as very insightful beyond its depiction of someone infatuated with a person who's actively messing with them.

Book 8: Devil House by John Darnielle
IMG_0841.jpeg
Oh lord it really brings me down, about the Devil House. This has been on my to-read list since release, as I enjoyed Darnielle's previous two novels. I tried to stay open-minded and evenhanded in my approach to this book, as I knew from previous experience that my expectations would be subverted; in the previous two books either prior events or looming events are treated with portent, but never expounded upon. Maybe there's some irony there, as Devil House takes the opposite tack, in my opinion: it beats you over the head with facts.

I found the first section super challenging, as the narrator dumps information on the reader in a very passionless, uncharacterized manner. Not much is left ambiguous, but you're also not given much to hold onto, emotionally or story-wise. The next section didn't do much for me either, as the story jumps back in time and perspective; without giving too much away I just didn't understand the motivations of the character, even beyond the fact that people are unpredictable.

That is all to say I got about 2/3 of the way through this book before I read a few reviews and summaries, and decided I'd gotten a good impression of what I was reading.

Book 9: The Shadow of the Torturer (Book of the New Sun #1) by Gene Wolfe
IMG_0840.jpeg

This one was a reread, and I've been looking forward to getting around to it. Wolfe is a difficult author, but he's also very rewarding. He hides a lot in allusions and vocabulary, deliberately glosses over action and leaves you to fill in blanks based on the circumstances of the aftermath, and hides characterization in the way the narrator chooses to tell their story. By the time you finish the fourth of this series (which is technically one book, in the tradition of Lord of the Rings), the circumstances of the world/story/characters are clearer in a way that really invites picking up the first book once more.

The setup: in a medieval-like society, a young man raised by a guild of torturers breaks one of their rules in the name of love and is banished to wander the land as an executioner. This first book concerns his adolescence in the torturers' tower, the love that caused him to betray his guild, and his initial adventures in the surrounding town.

This first book flows a lot more smoothly upon reread; the second half can especially feel like random circumstance and a carousel of odd characters flitting in and out of the periphery, but when you understand their significance and motivations, they gel a lot better. The first time around I was reading in confusion and intrigue, enjoying the atmosphere and small hints (if you're paying attention you'll notice a frickin' laser pistol in the first chapter). It wasn't until book 3 that I started really enjoying the series, so it's been nice getting back through this one in that same spirit.

Hey @Bennnnn you don’t have to wait for me to talk about this now!
Book 9: The Shadow of the Torturer (Book of the New Sun #1) by Gene Wolfe
Ooh this is another one on my list for this year. I’m pretty fascinated by some of the synchronicities I’m running into in this thread.

I loved Devil House, so YMMV. 🤷‍♂️
I’ll completely own that this was a reading experience where I felt a latent resistance to the book; sometimes I know the book is Not Good, and other times I know I might react differently if I approach the book at a different time. My experience with Devil House was more the latter.

Ooh this is another one on my list for this year. I’m pretty fascinated by some of the synchronicities I’m running into in this thread.
Of all the folks on this board I had a feeling you’d either have read or been aware of this book. Very curious what you’ll think of it.

View attachment 137022
Oh lord it really brings me down, about the Devil House. This has been on my to-read list since release, as I enjoyed Darnielle's previous two novels. I tried to stay open-minded and evenhanded in my approach to this book, as I knew from previous experience that my expectations would be subverted; in the previous two books either prior events or looming events are treated with portent, but never expounded upon. Maybe there's some irony there, as Devil House takes the opposite tack, in my opinion: it beats you over the head with facts.

I found the first section super challenging, as the narrator dumps information on the reader in a very passionless, uncharacterized manner. Not much is left ambiguous, but you're also not given much to hold onto, emotionally or story-wise. The next section didn't do much for me either, as the story jumps back in time and perspective; without giving too much away I just didn't understand the motivations of the character, even beyond the fact that people are unpredictable.

That is all to say I got about 2/3 of the way through this book before I read a few reviews and summaries, and decided I'd gotten a good impression of what I was reading.

I really loved Devil House. And I think the thing with John Darnielle's writing is...there is a plot, sort of with all three novels (the second one having the most clear plot), but he always goes much deeper into themes over plot. Which I get can just not work for everyone.

So, Devil House has a story that you can follow as you keep track of each section and how they circle back and connect to each other. It’s a lot of playing around with structure, and using it to reveal greater depths to the overall meaning of the book. But that’s all not to say that it’s only compelling thing is its form. I think the stories being told in Devil House are great, and just really engaging to me. But there’s also an emotional depth to what’s going on.

I found the same to be true with Wolf In White Van - which I love. That book is so interestingly written and constructed, but at its core there’s something so emotional about it. Devil House doesn’t necessarily hit that emotional high, but there is incredible stuff inside it.

I get why people do not like his books. But they have given me a lot of enjoyment personally. They are unique experiences. Universal Harvester is my least favorite (but it has the most initially hooking plot). Devil House feels like the culmination of his writing so far - and a nice addition to his music. There’s a lot of types of characters and subject matter in Devil House that he’s definitely played around with in his music.

Not everything works 100% in Devil House. I am intrigued by a certain…bizarre section in the middle. I’ve read a bit about what he’s said about it and still I’m not sure it completely connects to everything else. However, it’s probably the most engaged I’ve been reading a book this year.

Back