2020 Polaris Music Prize (Updated with Shortlist)

Aelias

The long list for the Polaris Prize was announced today so I thought I'd make a thread for people interested. If you're not familiar, here's a quick blurb from their about section:

The Polaris Music Prize is a not-for-profit organization that annually honours and rewards artists who produce Canadian music albums of distinction. A select panel of music critics judge and award the Prize without regard to musical genre or commercial popularity.

The long list is 40 albums, the short list (10 albums) will be announced on July 15 and the winner will be announced on September 21.

2020 Polaris Music Prize Long List

Bolded names made the Shortlist - July 15, 2020

Allie X – Cape God
Anachnid – Dreamweaver
Aquakultre – Legacy
Marie-Pierre Arthur – Des feux pour voir
Backxwash – God Has Nothing To Do With This Leave Him Out Of It
Badge Époque Ensemble – Badge Époque Ensemble
Begonia – Fear
P’tit Belliveau – Greatest Hits Vol. 1
Caribou – Suddenly
Daniel Caesar – CASE STUDY 01
Chocolat – Jazz engagé
Louis-Jean Cormier – Quand la nuit tombe
Corridor – Junior
dvsn – A Muse In Her Feelings
Jacques Greene – Dawn Chorus
Sarah Harmer – Are You Gone
Ice Cream – FED UP
Junia-T – Studio Monk
Kaytranada – Bubba

Flore Laurentienne – Volume 1
Cindy Lee – What’s Tonight To Eternity?
Men I Trust – Oncle Jazz
nêhiyawak – nipiy
OBUXUM – Re-Birth
Owen Pallett – Island
Pantayo – Pantayo
Lido Pimienta – Miss Colombia

Joel Plaskett – 44
William Prince – Reliever
Jessie Reyez – BEFORE LOVE CAME TO KILL US
Andy Shauf – The Neon Skyline
Riit – ataataga
Super Duty Tough Work – Studies in Grey
U.S. Girls – Heavy Light
Leif Vollebekk – New Ways
Wares – Survival
The Weeknd – After Hours
WHOOP-Szo – Warrior Down
Witch Prophet – DNA Activation
Zen Bamboo – GLU

Previous Winners: 2019 Haviah Mighty - 13th Floor; 2018 Jeremy Dutcher - Wolastoqiyik Lintuwakonawa; 2017 Lido Pimienta – La Papessa; 2016 Kaytranada – 99.9%; 2015 Buffy Sainte-Marie – Power in the Blood; 2014 Tanya Tagaq – Animism; 2013 Godspeed You! Black Emperor – 'Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend!; 2012 Feist – Metals

Last edited:
I feel like I'm familiar with way fewer nominees this year than previous years. Of the ones I know, I really liked Kaytranada, as well as my first listen of Lido Pimienta the other day. Andy Shauf has gotten so much buzz but I think that album is so boring... Either way, looking forward to diving in to a bunch of new albums.

Last edited:
I haven't listened to most of these albums yet. I think Allie X, Caribou, Kaytranada, Lida Pimientia and US Girls are all good. I like Joel Plaskett but I don't think I have the patience to go through a 44 song album, Three was long enough. I remember listening to Riit and thought it was interesting but didn't get pulled in. I like the William Prince songs I've heard but still need to check out the whole album. I've got a bunch of listening to do.

Personal favorites on the list are:

Backxwash – God Has Nothing To Do With This Leave Him Out Of It
Caribou – Suddenly
Cindy Lee – What’s Tonight To Eternity?
Owen Pallett – Island
The Weeknd – After Hours
Witch Prophet – DNA Activation

I'll have to check out a bunch of others on here that I'm not famiar with though.

My personal favorite on the short list is Witch Prophet but I really like most of the albums on there. And I wasn't familiar with nêhiyawak or Junia-T before this but I really enjoyed both of them on first listen.

My personal favorite on the short list is Witch Prophet but I really like most of the albums on there. And I wasn't familiar with nêhiyawak or Junia-T before this but I really enjoyed both of them on first listen.
I'm not familiar with Witch Prophet, I'll have to check it out.

Reactions: Tj.
Watching live Destroyer videos of YouTube and can't help but wonder what Kaputt would sound like if he had BBNG as his band.
I'm sure I was pretty stoned when I wrote this last post, but still, that would be fun.

2021 short list just announced! 2021 Short List - Polaris Music Prize

Leanne Betasamosake Simpson – Theory of Ice
Cadence Weapon – Parallel World
DijahSB – Head Above The Waters
Dominique Fils-Aimé – Three Little Words
Mustafa – When Smoke Rises
The OBGMs – The Ends
Klô Pelgag – Notre-Dame-des-Sept-Douleurs
TOBi – Elements Vol. 1
The Weather Station – Ignorance
Zoon – Bleached Wavves

I've only heard three of these but I really like Theory of Ice and Three Little Words. Excited to check out the rest. The Weather Station record hasn't done much for me so far.

I'm sure I was pretty stoned when I wrote this last post, but still, that would be fun.

The OBGMs – The Ends
TOBi – Elements Vol. 1
Zoon – Bleached Wavves

I've only heard three of these but I really like Theory of Ice and Three Little Words. Excited to check out the rest. The Weather Station record hasn't done much for me so far.
Ignorance is one of my favorite albums of 2021 however I'm rooting for Klô Pelgag on this one! 👏

The OBGMs – The Ends
TOBi – Elements Vol. 1
Zoon – Bleached Wavves

Three Little Words is my hopeful.

I'd also be happy with Theory of Ice.

The OBGMs – The Ends
TOBi – Elements Vol. 1
Zoon – Bleached Wavves

That Mustafa album is absolutely beautiful and my personal favorite on the list. I highly recommend giving it a listen.

Back