Wonder Ye No More - The White Whale Thread

AndySlash

"BARF!"
Admin
thread to post your newly acquired white whales (or oldly acquired, whatever...), and the story of your hunt.

IMG_1462.JPG

roger waters - amused to death (1992)

no secret that i'm a pink floyd fan. can't recall 100% because it's been almost 25 years, but i think my first pink floyd vinyl purchase was the division bell from tower records back in 1995. since then i've tried to collect original or early pressings of floyd and related solo records. i already knew by the turn of the century that roger waters' 'amused to death' was going to be a hard find - europe only pressing, very limited - but also a must find because by all accounts this was one of the greatest sounding records ever made. audiophiles in floyd email lists and forum chats praised this pressing up and down. so this record was one of if not the earliest white whale i knew i had to obtain.

unsurprisingly prices were extreme for a college kid in the late 90s-early 00s, and the vinyl boom of the last ten years only made them go up even more while my income made it a challenge to justify the $300-500 copies were often going for. the 2015 reissue was a godsend- i could at least have a vinyl copy of this album at a normal price, and even some original pressing owners touted that it was as good as the original in terms of quality. it was win-win. but still i yearned for the original.

i knew the by-product of the reissue would likely be a reduction in the demand for the original and a lowering of asking prices. it took a few years, but finally!, a couple weeks ago a copy was put up on discogs for under a price limit i deemed reasonable, and i bit. it arrived today, and i couldn't be more excited about it. the hunt is over, and my floyd collection is truly complete in my eyes.

Back