Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

I disagree. Building a record plant means you control the means of production and quality control and only the cost of materials will really affect the price moving forward. They could also press records for other companies if they go that route and have an additional line of income. You wouldn't get much benefit from having a warehouse for yourself as i doubt it would drastically lower overhead.

Chad probably makes a killing by having QRP.
Agree to disagree. Building a warehouse distribution hub means they control the logistics and quantity control of the distribution of their (100% mail order) product and the efficiencies and accountability would affect their bottom line moving forward. They could also distribute records for other companies if they go that route and have an additional line of income. Owning your own warehouse would drastically lower overhead (ask Saddle Creek, Amazon, Funko, etc…)

I am happy that they are building a new pressing plant and I really hope it works out but it’s always cheaper/more cost effective sub contract out this stuff. WEA is way bigger than VMP and they still don’t have their own pressing plant. If they could make more money that way you know they would.

They do the CS “In House” and they are starting their own record press because they want the control that it provides to deliver a quality product. It’s not unreasonable to hope they would do the same on the distribution end of things as well.

Unfortunately it’s a common problem amongst by mail record retailers.

Last edited:
Agree to disagree. Building a warehouse distribution hub means they control the logistics and quantity control of the distribution of their (100% mail order) product and the efficiencies and accountability would affect their bottom line moving forward. They could also distribute records for other companies if they go that route and have an additional line of income. Owning your own warehouse would drastically lower overhead (ask Saddle Creek, Amazon, Funko, etc…)

I am happy that they are building a new pressing plant and I really hope it works out but it’s always cheaper/more cost effective sub contract out this stuff. WEA is way bigger than VMP and they still don’t have their own pressing plant. If they could make more money that way you know they would.

They do the CS “In House” and they are starting their own record press because they want the control that it provides to deliver a quality product. It’s not unreasonable to hope they would do the same on the distribution end of things as well.

Unfortunately it’s a common problem amongst by mail record retailers.

I think the issue with the majors is the entry cost to a plant. Over the long haul it’s profitable but captital expenditure for long term sustainable profits is out for public companies in these sad days. It’s all artificially inflated share prices and dividends.

I think the issue with the majors is the entry cost to a plant. Over the long haul it’s profitable but captital expenditure for long term sustainable profits is out for public companies in these sad days. It’s all artificially inflated share prices and dividends.
Completely agree. I was just trying to make the point that quality vs. costs is always a valid point for criticism. It makes sense to complain about the distribution side. To pawn it off and say, “well, they don’t handle that in house because it’s not cost effective”, rings a bit hollow because there are other areas within their business model that are essentially the same or similar (CS and Production) where they decided to bring those elements in house presumably so they could have a high level of QC even if it came at a greater cost.

Last edited:
View attachment 198229

View attachment 198228

Who sits at VMP and thinks you know what would really sell? This!

Per discord I guess this is something that the Mondo crew might be familiar with? Idk I’m not hating it, it just seems like a pretty random release.
The newsletter said it is Doom Metal. I have to say this release confounds my brain. I kind of want to let it remain unheard and let it be a whole Schrodinger’s cat situation.

The newsletter said it is Doom Metal. I have to say this release confounds my brain. I kind of want to let it remain unheard and let it be a whole Schrodinger’s cat situation.
I've only heard one of their albums before but it was not anything close to doom metal. Maybe this one is though.

Per discord I guess this is something that the Mondo crew might be familiar with? Idk I’m not hating it, it just seems like a pretty random release.
I listened to the one track and it seems fine, but also like the kind of anonymous Spotify artists that are just filler.

I guess my question is why would one spend $41 on this vs just buying the Blue Velvet soundtrack? Or Scott Walker’s The Drift? Or a Nick Cave album?

I listened to the one track and it seems fine, but also like the kind of anonymous Spotify artists that are just filler.

I guess my question is why would one spend $41 on this vs just buying the Blue Velvet soundtrack? Or Scott Walker’s The Drift? Or a Nick Cave album?
Because VMP said to?

Completely agree. I was just trying to make the point that quality vs. costs is always a valid point for criticism. It makes sense to complain about the distribution side. To pawn it off and say, “well, they don’t handle that in house because it’s not cost effective”, rings a bit hollow because there are other areas within their business model that are essentially the same or similar (CS and Production) where they decided to bring those elements in house presumably so they could have a high level of QC even if it came at a greater cost.
Who knows—maybe they will open their own warehouse one day too. I’d bet that costs from production are much more than distribution costs (record costs more to make than to fulfill/ship). So if they are only paying hard costs for production now, their profit margins will be bigger than had they done a warehouse before a plant. That was my overall point. Obviously if they did a plant and distribution themselves it could even be more profitable long term. Would be interesting to find out what the cost per unit is for production of a run of 10,000 records is at GZ. Plating in-house will also save them some money I imagine.

Back