Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

I don't have the Speakers Corner pressing of Alice Coltrane so if that guess is correct I'm looking forward to it. Generally I dig Oliver Nelson and Eric Dolphy but don't know that album, so I'm certainly in for that.

I need to give The W a revisit—I remember digging it way back, but I dunno how much I need it on my shelf. I also don't know that I need to upgrade my Black Moses or that I'm as excited for T. Rex as I would have been for either of the next two albums, as my copies could use upgrades.

Otherwise it's looking like swaps and/or add-on savings for me... (c'mon Memphis Rap box in swaps!!!)

I hope swaps look good this quarter because at the moment I feel like I could skip all of these and be ok with it. I'll revisit the Nilsson's, but remember thinking they were more like completionist titles last time I went through his discography. Big Pun is one I'm conflicted on which is why I skipped the anniversary press but that's the only album on this list that I've at least considered buying before. If Black Moses is really good I might pick it up, but paying full price for that if it's not the definitive pressing is a no go.

I hope swaps look good this quarter because at the moment I feel like I could skip all of these and be ok with it. I'll revisit the Nilsson's, but remember thinking they were more like completionist titles last time I went through his discography. Big Pun is one I'm conflicted on which is why I skipped the anniversary press but that's the only album on this list that I've at least considered buying before. If Black Moses is really good I might pick it up, but paying full price for that if it's not the definitive pressing is a no go.
See, I think Pun is actually a Hip Hop Essential. Absolutely explosive album. Had they done it a year ago I would've been over the moon. My problem with the pick is it hasn't even been six months. It's still on the shelves. Why would you do this when there's a ton that needs a press. Swing for the goddamn fences. Try and get a Company Flow, or maybe Both Sides of the Brain, or Dr Octanologist. Tons of underground stuff just screaming for a press.

Fuck, Däleks first three albums are super interesting. Would be awesome if they got more attention.

Last edited:
See, I think Pun is actually a Hip Hop Essential. Absolutely explosive album. Had they done it a year ago I would've been over the moon. My problem with the pick is it hasn't even been six months. It's still on the shelves. Why would you do this when there's a ton that needs a press. Swing for the goddamn fences. Try and get a Company Flow, or maybe Both Sides of the Brain, or Dr Octanologist. Tons of underground stuff just screaming for a press.
I love the album, but Big Pun as a person makes it more distasteful for me. It helps that he's dead so at least the money isn't going to support his behavior. But it still made me decide against buying the anniversary press. Might change my mind this time around.

The Point is fine for a children’s album and would be a better selection than Pussy Cats (though I will get some joy out of VMP fanboys trying to convince themselves that it’s an “essential” release) but as a childless adult man I would still prefer Nilsson Sings Newman.
As an adult man with a child, I still would rather Nilsson Sings Newman. I have Nilsson Schmilsson. Newman would complete an essential catalog in my opinion.

Wedging that Nilsson album into Classics feels like they had to make a deal with the label or his estate and weren't able to do one as a standalone store exclusive. I'd probably be less bothered if I was a fan, or if that doesn't appear to be an album only for completionists.

The Oliver Nelson should be decent but not sure I'm excited about any of the other 15 for the quarter, so that's an impressive job by VMP.

Back