Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

Ut oh...curious about the other issues...mine has shipped...
Oh no, I haven't gotten it on the decks yet :[
It's not that there's anything too terribly "bad". But it's a total let down. It comes off as just about as lazy of a release as any they've done. Everything is uninspired. The mastering is very meh. The pressing quality is iffy - and that's to be expected from Gz; you win some and you lose some. I have some non-fill on side B. After the constant teasing of this album's arrival, it came with a whimper rather than a bang. I can't believe this lists for $40.

It's not that there's anything too terribly "bad". But it's a total let down. It comes off as just about as lazy of a release as any they've done. Everything is uninspired. The mastering is very meh. The pressing quality is iffy - and that's to be expected from Gz; you win some and you lose some. I have some non-fill on side B. After the constant teasing of this album's arrival, it came with a whimper rather than a bang. I can't believe this lists for $40.
Anytime I see "Mastered By Capitol" I know I'm in trouble. Same as the horrible Buckley VMP pressing. I did not realize they did this one too. Ugh.

Received three boxes today...one for BVSC, one for The Bar-Kays, and one for Fiona...all present and accounted for, so I bid adieu to VMP. I shall bow out gracefully due simply to the price hike. I know i could bridge for a few more months, but it's the principle of that damn price hike. Sometimes, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do! Now, anybody have any experience with vnylmnky?

Received three boxes today...one for BVSC, one for The Bar-Kays, and one for Fiona...all present and accounted for, so I bid adieu to VMP. I shall bow out gracefully due simply to the price hike. I know i could bridge for a few more months, but it's the principle of that damn price hike. Sometimes, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do! Now, anybody have any experience with vnylmnky?
One of the co owners of vnylmkny has an account here
They got dragged because they were putting things in pre orders only for Vnylmnky and at one point had listing in the “for sale” section but it was just links to vnylmnky products. The problem was that they weren’t forthcoming about being from the company so they caught shit. If you search the name you’ll find the person and you could always DM them any questions.

Personally, have no idea about the service. The stuff that was linked here was expensive for what it was.

They got dragged because they were putting things in pre orders only for Vnylmnky and at one point had listing in the “for sale” section but it was just links to vnylmnky products. The problem was that they weren’t forthcoming about being from the company so they caught shit. If you search the name you’ll find the person and you could always DM them any questions.

Personally, have no idea about the service. The stuff that was linked here was expensive for what it was.

I had a discogs order that turned out to be out of stock, and the record eventually came in vnylmnky packaging but with a hand-written note on a vnylmnky postcard from the discogs seller (who was not identified as vnylmkny on discogs). I don't really have any problem with whatever went down to get me the record I'd ordered, but it was a little confusing. I still have no idea if the discogs seller was actually the vnylmnky guy or not.

Anytime I see "Mastered By Capitol" I know I'm in trouble. Same as the horrible Buckley VMP pressing. I did not realize they did this one too. Ugh.
Yup.

At the end of the day, it's an album I've always wanted on vinyl, so I'll try not to complain too much. But it's priced as if it is a definitive release and it's anything but that. It's priced to be on par with Tidal - a 2LP at 45rpm (and though cut digitally by not-so-beloved Ted Jensen, the mastering is actually very good) - and it offers something more in line with a weekly drop in terms of product quality. It's a $25 record priced with a $15 "holy grail" tax. At least Idler Wheel had a nicely printed cover and simply used the same stamping plates as the original press - it was $27 and worth that price.

Ahh...i see, so...hmmm...why, oh why, does Colemine have a subscription service. I think it's time. COLEMINE! COLEMINE! COLEMINE!

Agreed. Honestly, there’s just nothing special about it. The sound is fine. The cover is “meh.” It’s still a great album, but the price point was too high for what they delivered.

Got all my shipping notices for the month. So that’s good. 4 separate boxes. I mean, that’s just incredibly inefficient. I loved getting that one big box per month, why did they get away from that?

I mean in all honesty it seems people will complain either way. People complained that their big box shipment got held up over specific records, and now people complain that they're getting everything as fast as possible, but in separate boxes. I know you weren't exactly "complaining", I just find it very funny.

It's also kind of comical that people say the company could save money and not raise prices by shipping things together, yet so many people here and on reddit threw hissy fits if their shipment got delayed a few weeks if one record was holding it up. These aren't necessarily the same people, just saying you literally can't please everyone no matter what you do.

Before someone hastily responds... I understand there is a middle ground between "always ship everything together" and "ship everything separate and as fast as possible". I'd gather to imagine that logistically this can be challenging, especially since VMP can't do basic functions correctly, none the less micromanage their shipping policies.

I mean in all honesty it seems people will complain either way. People complained that their big box shipment got held up over specific records, and now people complain that they're getting everything as fast as possible, but in separate boxes. I know you weren't exactly "complaining", I just find it very funny.

It's also kind of comical that people say the company could save money and not raise prices by shipping things together, yet so many people here and on reddit threw hissy fits if their shipment got delayed a few weeks if one record was holding it up. These aren't necessarily the same people, just saying you literally can't please everyone no matter what you do.

Before someone hastily responds... I understand there is a middle ground between "always ship everything together" and "ship everything separate and as fast as possible". I'd gather to imagine that logistically this can be challenging, especially since VMP can't do basic functions correctly, none the less micromanage their shipping policies.
People are just saying that of course they are losing money if they don't bundle records that are going out on the same day. I haven't seen anyone on here complain about what you said. I got 4 individually packaged records today. All shipped the same day. VMP are idiots for not saving that $10 or so. People are only bringing that up more often lately because of the price hikes. Never heard of any other fulfillment center doing this.

It is also wasteful, but I haven't seen anyone genuinely upset about that.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, I think this has gotten lost in the VMP price increase crisis but...can we mention what absolute lazy bullshit this When The Pawn... Album cover is?

Like, this was the Fiona-approved redesign? A plain maroon cover with WHEN THE PAWN plastered on front without even the ellipsis, no gatefold...

It's just D+ effort for one of rock vinyls' few remaining holy grails. This deserved better than VMP.
I have to admit that for the longest time I assumed it was a placeholder for the actual album art. I completely agree with you, its just lazy. The article that was released at the same time states "we worked closely with Fiona and her team to re-imagine the artwork for this album.". Looking at the 'artwork' I assume they just quickly and cheaply produced that and gave it to Fiona's team for approval. I would be shocked if any artist produced an album of such personal merit then proposed to package it in something so lacklustre.

I have to admit that for the longest time I assumed it was a placeholder for the actual album art. I completely agree with you, its just lazy. The article that was released at the same time states "we worked closely with Fiona and her team to re-imagine the artwork for this album.". Looking at the 'artwork' I assume they just quickly and cheaply produced that and gave it to Fiona's team for approval. I would be shocked if any artist produced an album of such personal merit then proposed to package it in something so lacklustre.

Wouldn’t be surprised if the photo wasn’t approved and that was the art they had left.
Fiona Apple not overly interested and no one then pushed for new album art. At some point it was too late and they passed it for production.
Sounds ridiculous but i’d put money on that being reason for shitty cover.

Wouldn’t be surprised if the photo wasn’t approved and that was the art they had left.
Fiona Apple not overly interested and no one then pushed for new album art. At some point it was too late and they passed it for production.
Sounds ridiculous but i’d put money on that being reason for shitty cover.
PT Anderson took the original album cover photo and Fiona wanted to change it. The rest is just pure uninspired laziness.

People are just saying that of course they are losing money if they don't bundle records that are going out on the same day. I haven't seen anyone on here complain about what you said. I got 4 individually packaged records today. All shipped the same day. VMP are idiots for not saving that $10 or so. People are only bringing that up more often lately because of the price hikes. Never heard of any other fulfillment center doing this.

It is also wasteful, but I haven't seen anyone genuinely upset about that.
Also People are upset that nonmembers were being shipped Fiona before members and the reason given was that Fiona was being held up to ship with the ROTM. Then most of us got separate tracking numbers and packaging for Fiona vs our ROTMs...

there’s a direct correlation between the price hikes and VMP’s inability to figure out shipping and logistics.

Back