Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

LOL beat me to it by 2 minutes!

I will also say that Tex-Mex is a legit cuisine and is the perfect distillation of what is unique about the food in America (one of the few things we have going for us overall..)
I was discussing this with my girlfriend the other day. Tex-Mex is erroneously seen as a "lesser" or "altered" version of Mexican food, when it's its own thing. Most people see it as fast food only, but Taco Bell and all that bullshit aside, Tex Mex is a true vernacular expression. I don't know if this has happened yet, but I'd love to see a chef take Tex-Mex to the "gourmet" stage and finally legimize it as a unique cultural expression.
I wouldn't say that it has been taken to the "gourmet" stage outside of Texas yet. Tex-mex outside of Texas is almost uniformly terrible
Diaspora Mexican food is legit. I can't speak to official Tex-Mex, but a lot of the Mexicali food I grew up with is great. The saddest I've ever been over a meal was enchiladas in South Carolina though. And in and around San Diego we could get a decent variety of regional cuisines through restaurants, pop-ups from visiting chefs, and locals.
You're not a member, what orders do you mean kind sir? :^)
The gall. As if they only sell to members.
Any love for Filipino food? My girlfriends parents cook up the most amazing food, although for the past 10 years it feels like it's their aim to put me in a food coma everytime I see them (seriously, its the Pinoy way).
LUMPIA FOREVER. That's probably what I miss most about living in San Diego. Indredible lumpia at every potluck.

Of course that's all irrelevant as everyone knows the finest cuisine available anywhere in Japan is Lawsons Fried Chicken... Or pork curry donuts

Once we discovered Lawson's chicken we were getting it practically once per day for the remainder of our trip. And for those who don't understand, Lawson's is a convenience store. Imagine going to the 7-Eleven closest to you and getting some of the best chicken you've ever had. And in Japan you're never too far away from a Lawson's, OR a 7-Eleven, OR a Family Mart.

Oh man, next time you see them you should mention a boodle fight. I've been to a few (mostly in the Philippines) and its a great way to try loads of food. Its all done kamayan style (eating with your hands) and you just all stand or sit around a massive table covered with banana leaves and the food is all just placed, spooned, piled on. Man, im getting hungry just thinking about it.
Vegas has a HUGE filipino population. We have a bunch of by-the-pound type deli counter filipino places. I'm not a picky eater in any stretch of the imagination, but....filipino food is probably one of the last cuisines I would choose if I was choosing a place to eat. I'll give them this....they do pork and chicken bbq skewers like nobodies business and I can get goat from them, which I dig. But all-in-all not food that has never wowed me.

Funny side note: I am in a muslim country that has no pork; but where I work is U.S. property and we can buy pork from our exchange and bring it back to our apartments. We were explicitly warned against partaking in the pork black market - either by selling it ourselves or what I am told is a common occurence...filipino women getting cozy w/ U.S. men and getting their pork.

Diaspora Mexican food is legit. I can't speak to official Tex-Mex, but a lot of the Mexicali food I grew up with is great. The saddest I've ever been over a meal was enchiladas in South Carolina though. And in and around San Diego we could get a decent variety of regional cuisines through restaurants, pop-ups from visiting chefs, and locals.

The gall. As if they only sell to members.

LUMPIA FOREVER. That's probably what I miss most about living in San Diego. Indredible lumpia at every potluck.
Years ago I helped my girlfriends uncle make a load of food for a Barrio Fiesta here in London (a Filipino fair). I made HUNDREDS of lumpia and turon (think of a spring roll but with a sweet banana filling). A few weeks ago we were at her parent's place for the weekend and her mum was making some, I pulled up a chair next to her and it was like something took over, I could still make them without thinking years later.
Vegas has a HUGE filipino population. We have a bunch of by-the-pound type deli counter filipino places. I'm not a picky eater in any stretch of the imagination, but....filipino food is probably one of the last cuisines I would choose if I was choosing a place to eat. I'll give them this....they do pork and chicken bbq skewers like nobodies business and I can get goat from them, which I dig. But all-in-all not food that has never wowed me.

Funny side note: I am in a muslim country that has no pork; but where I work is U.S. property and we can buy pork from our exchange and bring it back to our apartments. We were explicitly warned against partaking in the pork black market - either by selling it ourselves or what I am told is a common occurence...filipino women getting cozy w/ U.S. men and getting their pork.
Its crazy that it hasn't taken off like other cusine. The food they make at markets in the Philippines would be so popular in the western world but they only seem to scratch the surface. Filipinos LOVE pork without question. My mate (British born Filipino) recently bought a whole pig to celebrate his sisters pregnancy. We would regularly go to a bbq (pre-covid) at a Filipino household to see that they had cooked a whole pig for guests.

On a side note, I travelled across India a few years ago and was given a causal tour of Delhi by some students. After a few drinks at a bar they told me that although its against their religion, a lot of Indians eat beef. They said that shopkeepers will sometimes have non-labelled brown paper parcels in the fridge section and its beef. You just take it to the counter and they will just tell you the price. Kind of 'under the counter'.

Those of us in the States better start getting used to seeing a whole lot of this:

View attachment 61229

:/

USPS has been brutal recently (I think by design, unfortunately). My shipment from VMP last month came into the DC distribution center, went north to Baltimore, then just sat for 2 weeks, before going up to NY, then back to DC and finally to me in Northern VA. I ordered inner sleeves from Sleeve City and got a shipping notification on July 27th and the tracking has said "Shipping Label Created" since then. I figure between VMP delays and USPS, I probably won't see BVSC for months.

Any love for Filipino food? My girlfriends parents cook up the most amazing food, although for the past 10 years it feels like it's their aim to put me in a food coma everytime I see them (seriously, its the Pinoy way).
I'm part Filipino and I don't even like Filipino food all that much. It may be the prolific use of vinegar. Its got to be more than that though as I'm a big fan of vina dosh, a Portuguese vinegar dish. I don't know. Shrugs

And yes, I second almost ANY convenience store food in Japan. Over here, we'd never dream of eating an egg salad sandwich from a gas station. But in Japan? I must have eaten one every other day.

I'm part Filipino and I don't even like Filipino food all that much. It may be the prolific use of vinegar. Its got to be more than that though as I'm a big fan of vina dosh, a Portuguese vinegar dish. I don't know. Shrugs

And yes, I second almost ANY convenience store food in Japan. Over here, we'd never dream of eating an egg salad sandwich from a gas station. But in Japan? I must have eaten one every other day.
This is like custard tarts in Portugal. I LOVE custard tarts and I swear some of the best ones I've ever had ANYWHERE were from gas stations around Monchique.

lumpiaaaa

every Vietnamese person uses frozen lumpia wrappers for spring rolls, so we have a kinship.

We visited in 2013 and stayed with my BIL, who was stationed in Yokohama. They lived in a house about 300 feet from a 7-11, and we passed it every day on our walk to the train.

I can't believe how much I miss being able to pick up tuna onigiri for 150 yen. It spoils a person.

In the spirit of the new purpose of this thread

View attachment 61245
Great choice, if you enjoy wines from the Valpolicella region I would highly recommend any of the various Amarone types, rich and dry it's probably my go to wine of choice.

Masi Costasera Amarone Classico is probably my favourite out of the lot but they tend to be a little bit pricier as is any Amarone in general.

They certainly love the sourness and rich flavours. I'm pretty easy going with food and some Filipino dishes have made it into my comfort/go-to food over the years. I often find that their stew and broth type dishes (bulalo is a favourite) are fantastic in the dreary cold British weather, but in the Philippines, I struggle to go too hard on it unless we are in an air conditioned room. Stews are not made for hot weather imo.

This is like custard tarts in Portugal. I LOVE custard tarts and I swear some of the best ones I've ever had ANYWHERE were from gas stations around Monchique.

Pasteis de nata ? Man I know it's touristy as fuck, but the best I had were still from Belem from "the original bakery". I just gain a pound just thinking about it.

USPS has been brutal recently (I think by design, unfortunately). My shipment from VMP last month came into the DC distribution center, went north to Baltimore, then just sat for 2 weeks, before going up to NY, then back to DC and finally to me in Northern VA. I ordered inner sleeves from Sleeve City and got a shipping notification on July 27th and the tracking has said "Shipping Label Created" since then. I figure between VMP delays and USPS, I probably won't see BVSC for months.
Maybe you will luck out - had a cross country comic book on eBay go from “Shipping Label Created” to “Delivered”81DD6DD1-84F6-4747-AE20-729FB9D60064.jpeg

I admit, I am more than slightly biases when it comes to my food pick. Japan is my favorite country I have ever visited. If I could find good work there, I would move TOMORROW. Such a beautiful people, country, culture. Thus far I have visited most of the main island; Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, Kyushu prefecture. I haven't made my way north yet to the Hokkaido area but that's my plan for the next visit. The extreme dichotomy between the rural areas of Japan and the modern cities is both stark and enchanting. I love it.
It is absolutely magical. I'm not as well-traveled as some of our forum friends but of the fair number of places I've been none compare to Japan for me.

It really depends on what type of experience you are looking for. Many people go to Japan to tour the high-tech cities and see the wonders of a truly forward-thinking society (Tokyo). Some go to experience the wonder of nature and its integration into everyday society (Rural Japan). Others go specifically to see Edo era customs, buildings, and traditions in modern city settings (Kyoto). Some people just want to eat their way through the country (Osaka). So, what are you looking forward to most about Japan?

My favorite place as a first-timer is definitely Tokyo. There is nothing quite like it in most of the western world. It makes NYC look small and lazy by comparison. It is delight to all of the senses and you could literally spend 2 whole months in Tokyo only and not see even 1/4 of everything you wanted or explore some of the lesser travelled areas. It has everything. And the culture shock, especially for your first trip, is palpable. I'd start there and then branch out. If you're visiting for less than 7 days, only hit Tokyo and the outlying city areas. The shinkansen is great to take but there just won't be enough time to really experience more than the city IMO. If you're there for 8-14 days, ensure you're spending at least 7 in the city and then branch out to the next major city that interests you (Kyoto, Osaka, Hokkaido, Saitama, etc.). If you've got more than 2 weeks, I'd say branch out and hit some of the smaller and more rural areas of Japan because they have a charm that is unique to them. Coming in a close second for me were the rural areas in Kyushu prefecture. It was like being transported back in time (or into a Studio Ghibli film) and it was absolutely magical.
Kyoto is an incredible place. I could have spent weeks there.

Japan is extremely accommodating of tourists, but it's good to have a phrasebook and a SIM card to get around. And read up on local customs so you don't come off as a Typical Foreigner.
You will have an absolute BLAST. Tokyo just has SO MUCH TO SEE AND DO. It really is incredible. I could have spent literally just a week in the Shinjuku ward and not seen everything I wanted to. But I had very specific things on my punch list for my first visit.

I understand some Japanese but only through immersion. Speaking it I only know the most basic of phrases. So I utilized translations apps heavily on my first visit. But like @kvetcha mentioned, the people there are very accomodating to tourists. So even if you have to mime your conversation with them they are generally willing to help. The only exception would be police officers in Shinjuku if you have visible tattoos. lol

My most recent trip I used google translate a lot for both spoken word and hiragana/katakana. It was super easy.
I snowboarded in Japan every year until I blew my knee out the last time and its mega. In France (bar the odd amazing mid piste restaurant) you basically live on ham and cheese toasties, shit spag bol and chips on the mountain. You stop for lunch at a Japanese lift stop and its big bowls of ramen, katsu the works.

Of course that's all irrelevant as everyone knows the finest cuisine available anywhere in Japan is Lawsons Fried Chicken... Or pork curry donuts
Japanese konbini are just absolutely next level. I miss them.
All this Japan talk makes me miss the food and general ambience of the country. I had 2 trips planned to Japan this year(March & June) and both got cancelled, hopefully will be able to do them next year...
Once we discovered Lawson's chicken we were getting it practically once per day for the remainder of our trip. And for those who don't understand, Lawson's is a convenience store. Imagine going to the 7-Eleven closest to you and getting some of the best chicken you've ever had. And in Japan you're never too far away from a Lawson's, OR a 7-Eleven, OR a Family Mart.

Sorry to do a lot of tagging, but I was excited reading this VMP store thread for the first time in a long time thanks to you guys ❤

I am also interested in embarking on a trip to Japan (most likely staying in Tokyo, Kyoto, or another of the major cities for the entire visit) in the future. I have never been outside of the US. I took Japanese for three years in high school (now no longer offered sadly), and learned some more from a friend, and I can still speak at a conversational level. I'm mostly familiar with the culture and norms, but I'm still expecting full culture shock upon arrival at Narita Airport.

For those I've tagged, what would you say is a reasonable daily budget for an enjoyable trip, assuming that I'd have KONBINI food for 2/3 meals a day? Is it best to stick to a "time limit" for activities or is best to enjoy at one's own pace? I have plenty set aside for my first international trip, so I'm not too worried about overspending.

Thank you again for all of the valuable information presented so far, everyone! :)

Sorry to do a lot of tagging, but I was excited reading this VMP store thread for the first time in a long time thanks to you guys ❤

I am also interested in embarking on a trip to Japan (most likely staying in Tokyo, Kyoto, or another of the major cities for the entire visit) in the future. I have never been outside of the US. I took Japanese for three years in high school (now no longer offered sadly), and learned some more from a friend, and I can still speak at a conversational level. I'm mostly familiar with the culture and norms, but I'm still expecting full culture shock upon arrival at Narita Airport.

For those I've tagged, what would you say is a reasonable daily budget for an enjoyable trip, assuming that I'd have KONBINI food for 2/3 meals a day? Is it best to stick to a "time limit" for activities or is best to enjoy at one's own pace? I have plenty set aside for my first international trip, so I'm not too worried about overspending.

Thank you again for all of the valuable information presented so far, everyone! :)

Hotels are expensive; food is very affordable, as Japan is a restaurant-intensive culture. I'm talking 800 yen for the best oyakodon I've ever had + a side of cold soba and some pickles. A 12 piece nigirizushi meal at Sushi Dai, easily the best sushi I've ever eaten, was ~$40. Et cetera.

I recommend making a list of things you want to do, but not rushing through them. You'll never do all of it. Kyoto alone could keep me occupied for months, not to mention Tokyo.

You'll want to check the exchange rates before going, but last time I was there, dollars had a slight advantage over yen (like 110 yen to the dollar), so aside from lodgings, everything was quite reasonable. If you're not a starving college student (like I was the first time I went), you'll get by fine.

BTW, did anyone see the new Netflix "Street Food" season on Latin America? All countries had some killer things, but man, I was drooling throughout the Salvador da Bahia episode. I almost cried when the lady showed that fish stew with palm oil and coconut milk.

Goddamn, I teared up on Argentina episode

Years ago I helped my girlfriends uncle make a load of food for a Barrio Fiesta here in London (a Filipino fair). I made HUNDREDS of lumpia and turon (think of a spring roll but with a sweet banana filling). A few weeks ago we were at her parent's place for the weekend and her mum was making some, I pulled up a chair next to her and it was like something took over, I could still make them without thinking years later.

Its crazy that it hasn't taken off like other cusine. The food they make at markets in the Philippines would be so popular in the western world but they only seem to scratch the surface. Filipinos LOVE pork without question. My mate (British born Filipino) recently bought a whole pig to celebrate his sisters pregnancy. We would regularly go to a bbq (pre-covid) at a Filipino household to see that they had cooked a whole pig for guests.

On a side note, I travelled across India a few years ago and was given a causal tour of Delhi by some students. After a few drinks at a bar they told me that although its against their religion, a lot of Indians eat beef. They said that shopkeepers will sometimes have non-labelled brown paper parcels in the fridge section and its beef. You just take it to the counter and they will just tell you the price. Kind of 'under the counter'.

Filipino food has finally started to take off here in LA (which has a huge population, including my in-laws) and there are really good restaurants from take out to fairly high end. I know NYC has some good ones as well and Bad Saint in D.C. is supposed to be stellar.

The best food I had in the Philippines was on a 4 day boat trip which we camped on small deserted islands and the crew cooked for us. It was all so fresh, light, and delicious which was a surprise for me because most Filipino food I had tasted was pretty heavy.

Back