Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

Is there anything original about the new soul bands, or are they just mimicking the sound of previous decades? When I sample a new track from a Colemine band, for example, I always end up thinking "there is nothing original in this". Am I just not paying close enough attention?

It seems like there is forward (read: original) motion in jazz, but not in soul.

This is how I feel about 90% of the stuff that comes out on Daptone records. Yeah, it’s tight, the bands are in the groove, everything is funky, but why should I keep buying this? Is the latest Budos Band record that different from the last 3? I dunno man. They’re all starting to sound the same to me.

Yeah, it’s tight, the bands are in the groove, everything is funky, but why should I keep buying this?
I think the answer is in the question. The selling point, for the people who are buying, is the execution, not the innovation. These artists may not be especially progressive, but without them, it's kind of an abandoned genre.

This is how I feel about 90% of the stuff that comes out on Daptone records. Yeah, it’s tight, the bands are in the groove, everything is funky, but why should I keep buying this? Is the latest Budos Band record that different from the last 3? I dunno man. They’re all starting to sound the same to me.

I'd say that the difference with Daptone, at least in the case of a Sharon Jones, Charles Bradley, or Lee Fields, is that you are dealing with artists that have literally been at it for decades. Unfortunately, only one of those 3 are still alive and performing.

Other than that, I do get what you're saying.

Back