Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

Surely the LP60 won’t have done as much damage to my records right? Is it at the point where I should hold off on listening to records much until I can upgrade?
You’ll have to clean your entire collection again, but if you are spinning records less than once a day and less than say a hundred times, you’ll be alright.

Also, in full disclosure, my current set up is still hella humble. With the orbit, I am very table heavy... I run a Pluto into a Sony shelf system through a 3.5 mm adapter into budget KLHs with amazon cables and some Seriously hacked out speaker wire (the Sony has some goofy proprietary connected at the receiver)

How is the upgrade diet coming along. Have you decided on any new pieces yet?

What's the jury on this one?

It sounds pretty good, and honestly might be what I upgrade to later

Full disclosure I have a pro-ject and love it! I’m on the, as always with pro-ject, snappily titled debut carbon esprit Sb.

I would save an extra $100 and live with what you have for a little longer and get the Fluance RT84. Better cart & better motor is worth more than the difference.

Surely the LP60 won’t have done as much damage to my records right? Is it at the point where I should hold off on listening to records much until I can upgrade?

Nah mate, records are there for you to enjoy and IMO unless you have the best rig and more importantly ears, the minor stress your current rig is putting on your records isn’t worth worrying about. I personally like a bit of added ‘personality’ on my discs from play wear. It makes each subsequent listen a new experience! And, if we’re looking for absolute perfection out of these recordings, we’ve picked the wrong format too. Ultimately it’s a physical object, it’ll morph and grow as we play it. I know others love vinyl for other reasons but this is partly why I love it.

Nah mate, records are there for you to enjoy and IMO unless you have the best rig and more importantly ears, the minor stress your current rig is putting on your records isn’t worth worrying about. I personally like a bit of added ‘personality’ on my discs from play wear. It makes each subsequent listen a new experience! And, if we’re looking for absolute perfection out of these recordings, we’ve picked the wrong format too. Ultimately it’s a physical object, it’ll morph and grow as we play it. I know others love vinyl for other reasons but this is partly why I love it.
This is a good point to make. Don't take my comment about the LP60 and possible damage to your records as derogatory in any way @ghostdorado. The LP60 was just incongruent with what I figured I wanted out of setup.

I love my Uturn and in my opinion it's a solid table for the price (that is before that Fluance came out). And FWIW that MoFi Ultradeck is in my endgame list as well.

This is a good point to make. Don't take my comment about the LP60 and possible damage to your records as derogatory in any way @ghostdorado. The LP60 was just incongruent with what I figured I wanted out of setup.

I love my Uturn and in my opinion it's a solid table for the price (that is before that Fluance came out). And FWIW that MoFi Ultradeck is in my endgame list as well.

I think one of the technics, probably a modified sl-1200g, is my ultimate endgame table. As amazing as I’m sure the mofi is I’m spoilt with my table and am never considering one that doesn’t have a speed change button...

Yeah @ghostdorado the biggest takeaway I had in changing tables was a better cleaning regimen and that it’s embedding the dirt into your records. The record I played the most on the lp60 was Andrew Bird’s Are You Serious and it sounded like complete ass when I upgraded. Six cleanings later, it’s just fine. Your record playing habits , stylus maintenance and cleaning regimen have more to do with ruining a record than that table does. A good stop gap is that upgrade above and a spin clean or even an rcm if you don’t already have one. The biggest problem with the lp60 is it was just noisey as fuck.

I think one of the technics, probably a modified sl-1200g, is my ultimate endgame table. As amazing as I’m sure the mofi is I’m spoilt with my table and am never considering one that doesn’t have a speed change button...

Have you seen the British company that does mods on the 1200s? I can’t remember their name now but their shit looks awesome. I’d like to go that direction too eventually. You know, when my kids are older, I’ve put them through university, I’ve paid off my mortgage, pretty much when I have about 5 years left to enjoy it!

Meh you get used to it. I’m able to pop the belt back and forth these days, which is a great gauge for when it’s time to change the bastard.

Have you seen the British company that does mods on the 1200s? I can’t remember their name now but there shit looks awesome. I’d like to go that direction too eventually. You know, when my kids are older, I’ve put them through university, I’ve paid off my mortgage, pretty much when I have about 5 years left to enjoy it!

Timestep in Devon? If so that’s exactly who I’m referring to when I say a modified technics. They do some pretty cool things to them that will make a nice pension lump sum investment when my hearing is shot...

Have you seen the British company that does mods on the 1200s? I can’t remember their name now but their shit looks awesome. I’d like to go that direction too eventually. You know, when my kids are older, I’ve put them through university, I’ve paid off my mortgage, pretty much when I have about 5 years left to enjoy it!
Hahaha this is one of the reasons I've started to protect my hearing more on job sites. I want to be able to hear what an endgame system sounds like by the time I'm old enough to afford it!

I'll let other more knowledgeable people speak to the technical aspects, but the LP60 has a low quality stylus and a relatively high tracking force so there is a risk for more groove wear. That's at least the gist of what I was reading.

3 grams, from this article:

Which they claim is a bit high, but not 5g+ so it shouldn't harm your records.

Back