Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

A user on discogs suggests the standard is the same. I always assumed VMP just did coloured presses of current releases at the same plant using same stampers as the standard variant so I'm not too surprised that they are all alike.
I've asked Tyler who pressed it so we'll see but yes if that review of the black version is one to go on these are all bad. I can't think KG would be overly thrilled at this. I've never heard a KG master that sounded this bad, so sometime seriously dropped the ball on this one.

I've asked Tyler who pressed it so we'll see but yes if that review of the black version is one to go on these are all bad. I can't think KG would be overly thrilled at this. I've never heard a KG master that sounded this bad, so sometime seriously dropped the ball on this one.

Yeah, it is a shame. I was just gonna grab a standard when I see it over here but I think I'll give it a miss now.

Tyler responded and offered to replace the album but also offered some credit's instead since I wasn't really claiming I got a bad one, more that it just wasn't a good pressing in general. So as usual CS steps up which is nice but doesn't solve the issue really. Still, I'm glad they've heard my complaint. I'll likely take the credits but if anyone gets a clean copy I will try for another, but I'm very much doubting that will happen, I suspect this is just what this one sounds like unfortunately...
I decided to spin my Joel Ross last night to check out the sound. I don't have the most high-end set up, but I have a decent player with an Ortofon Red cartridge. The static and noise are very noticeable, especially during the quiet parts of Touched By An Angel. I sent an email this morning.

On another note, The Isley Brothers sounds fantastic and Skull Snaps turned out to be a great surprise.

Yeah, it is a shame. I was just gonna grab a standard when I see it over here but I think I'll give it a miss now.
If you can get it cheap it's not the worst. The louder passages sound good, it's just the quiet ones especially on side A and B that are rough. But the 33 dollar price tag for cheap as dirt pressing, jacket, and sleeves is galling. It's highway robbery.

I'll be cleaning my copy tomorrow and will report back as well. I'll be interested to see if similar reviews of the standard black pressing start popping up soon.
A user on discogs suggests the standard is the same. I always assumed VMP just did coloured presses of current releases at the same plant using same stampers as the standard variant so I'm not too surprised that they are all alike.
Just done a bit of digging and Tone Poet Guru - Joe Harley commented on his copy (look at the bottom comment) saying that its 'nice and quiet although slightly warped. Not enough to cause any issues but worth a mention'. In fact theres a few users commenting on warps but saying that their copy sounds fine. Making me wonder if theres just a bad batch amongst some good presses?

Can anyone who reads the tea leaves that are runout codes decipher this from the standard press? B0030463-01-A KPG@CA 10-86510/B003046301-A 198185E1/A
Just done a bit of digging and Tone Poet Guru - Joe Harley commented on his copy (look at the bottom comment) saying that its 'nice and quiet although slightly warped. Not enough to cause any issues but worth a mention'. In fact theres a few users commenting on warps but saying that their copy sounds fine. Making me wonder if theres just a bad batch amongst some good presses?

Ohhhh fuck it's Precision Record Pressing in Ontario Canada of all places. They're a joint venture of GZ, they suck. That explains it.

Detective Mather cracks the case again!
But yes there are some people on that board saying they got good copies, now my guess is most of those copies are the black ones since VMP just shipped but... I guess it shows in some manner there are good copies out there. But I'd still be very surprised to see good ones amongst only 500 VMP editions. But seeing this I think I'll try for another VMP copy and see what happens. If it's the same, which I'm sure it will be, I'll get credits.

I haven't heard your copy (obviously), but I think you're making it sound like the master itself is terrible. I think the master is actually pretty good, it has a lot of dynamics and the soundstage is pretty solid. What is bad from this pressing (at least from my experience with the standard copy), is the noise and warping. In my case the first is not THAT bad, there are only a couple of pops throughout, but the warping is terrible.

I haven't heard your copy (obviously), but I think you're making it sound like the master itself is terrible. I think the master is actually pretty good, it has a lot of dynamics and the soundstage is pretty solid. What is bad from this pressing (at least from my experience with the standard copy), is the noise and warping. In my case the first is not THAT bad, there are only a couple of pops throughout, but the warping is terrible.
Yes what I meant was I've never heard a KG mastered album that sounds this bad. Meaning to say that the pressing has killed what would normally be very good sounding album. I agree that the master itself sounds good, as evidenced by the louder passages but everything else sounds noisy. Not KGs fault and undoubtedly not his master. Sorry I should have been more clear.

How do I approach emailing VMP about my disappointment with this record without coming off as a piggy-backer to others' complaints? Damn you social anxiety.
I think you just be honest about it. You have the record, it's very noisy, for 33 dollars it really shouldn't sound like this. Is there something that can be done, either a replacement or some credit's? Honestly that's all I do. Just be nice about it and I'm sure they won't accuse you of piggybacking, I mean god knows month to month they get REAMS of replacement requests for all sorts of issues. I mean between Beach House and Queen and TVOTR and Veedon Fleece among MANY others they must have received THOUSANDS of identical complaints because everyone had the same problems. Nothing really different here...

How do I approach emailing VMP about my disappointment with this record without coming off as a piggy-backer to others' complaints? Damn you social anxiety.
Be yourself! Let VMP know that you are very disappointed in this Joel Ross pressing, especially as all the other Blue Note VMP exclusive records have sounded magnificent!

Be yourself! Let VMP know that you are very disappointed in this Joel Ross pressing, especially as all the other Blue Note VMP exclusive records have sounded magnificent!
WetTidyAcornbarnacle-size_restricted.gif

Back