Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

I remember just before he left the forum he decided he wanted to try David Bowie. So he bought the first 4 Bowie box sets in one fell swoop. Which is at least 50 discs. I have to commend anyone for that blasé commitment to money.

Tbh he was always fair enough to me, like lots of collectors I think he had a place on the spectrum and could take things very literally, but there was no harm in him ever.
This reminds me, saw this in my local the other day.

2CACA40A-5C25-4973-824C-86C7907574D5.jpeg

Pretty much bang on the cogs median!

I’m so glad I saw this in the local, had the money and picked it up back when it first came out. Absolutely none of my favourite box sets in my collection!
i regret missing out on that one....maybe they will repress it one day but i doubt it. think i missed my shot with that and the Beatles mono box...

i regret missing out on that one....maybe they will repress it one day but i doubt it. think i missed my shot with that and the Beatles mono box...

Yeah I think they’re all one press and done with the era sets. I think they tested the waters with this one and didn’t press so many. That plus it being his most commercial era meant they sold out and remain in demand. Consequently I think they overpressed the next 4 lol.

Equally this is bowie. He will always be in demand. I’d never rule out something similar coming out somewhere down the line.

The funny thing with this one is, that at least at my local, they sold out, but not immediately. It was a September release and I picked it up quite easily the following January with Christmas money.

Yeah I think they’re all one press and done with the era sets. I think they tested the waters with this one and didn’t press so many. That plus it being his most commercial era meant they sold out and remain in demand. Consequently I think they overpressed the next 4 lol.

Equally this is bowie. He will always be in demand. I’d never rule out something similar coming out somewhere down the line.

The funny thing with this one is, that at least at my local, they sold out, but not immediately. It was a September release and I picked it up quite easily the following January with Christmas money.
that was also a different time in the industry. That Dylan mono box sat around for $100 on amazon for a LONG time. MoFis stayed in stock and were discounted at places like Amazon. I think if they repressed those today at $300+ they would all easily sell tons of copies.

There was talk of reissuing the Re:Call collections individually at one point, but there still would be at least 1 title per box that was only available in the box. I am curious what the COVID and then selling the catalogue to Sony did for the release schedule. Duncan and Tony seemed to be following a preset schedule that David laid out before he died.

There was talk of reissuing the Re:Call collections individually at one point, but there still would be at least 1 title per box that was only available in the box. I am curious what the COVID and then selling the catalogue to Sony did for the release schedule. Duncan and Tony seemed to be following a preset schedule that David laid out before he died.

i thought it was the other way around? That the Sony controlled 00s stuff was sold to parlophone/Warner so they now had his entire discography barring his disowned debut? That would seemingly point towards them finishing things off in the way they had been proceeding already?

Last edited:
i thought it was the other way around? That the Sony controlled 00s stuff was sold to parlophone/Warner so they now had his entire discography barring his disowned debut? That would seemingly point towards them finishing things off in the way they had been proceeding already?
Sorry, got it backwards. Hard to keep them straight in my head. My only worry it that Duncan and Tony are just 'consultants' but I still expect them to finish off the series.

My big concern is that there is almost too much stuff from Heathens forward for a single box but dividing the 2000s from 2010s leaves a pretty thin box, unless there is a bunch of unreleased stuff from Next Day and Blackstar because there is no live recordings after 2006. Supposed he recorded some some 70s and 80s stuff with Arcade Fire as his backing band, but that will be a while before it comes out. Thanks Will Butler, asshat.

Sorry, got it backwards. Hard to keep them straight in my head. My only worry it that Duncan and Tony are just 'consultants' but I still expect them to finish off the series.

My big concern is that there is almost too much stuff from Heathens forward for a single box but dividing the 2000s from 2010s leaves a pretty thin box, unless there is a bunch of unreleased stuff from Next Day and Blackstar because there is no live recordings after 2006. Supposed he recorded some some 70s and 80s stuff with Arcade Fire as his backing band, but that will be a while before it comes out. Thanks Will Butler, asshat.

I think it has to be one box. There are only 4 studio albums, 2EPs and a single live album as official releases in that period. There’s probably room for the recall and a couple of new things when you look at the size of the last couple of boxes.

Yea--I think this could make the art prints much better for ROTMs as a start. Mondo always had cool art and packaging but their pressings usually were pretty mid to bad. And I bet they bring a lot of the good artists from Mondo over since many seemed disillusioned by Funko's strategy after they bought Mondo. This COULD be a good partnership with VMP...getting people like RKS to cut their records.

Seems like they plan to do a bunch of soundtracks in the style of Mondo, a ROTM track, maybe some posters instead of art prints on occasion....lots of possibilities.

Matt Taylor has already said he's working on something for this. I'm sure he's not the only one.

So, does anyone else have the VMP version of Honky Château and if so does your copy have a lot of loud pops/clicks on Tiny Dancer? Sent a video today, hoping it's not a pressing issue and I just got a bum copy.
If your Honky Chateau has Tiny Dancer on it, then I think there are bigger issues at play.

Mines on the way, I'll check Rocketman when it arrives. But I haven't seen any mention of noise on the pressing, yet...

Back