Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

I like it but I need another slip mate like I need another record.

Interesting:
So VMP is the new Mondo? Make pretty packages that sound like hot garbage?

So VMP is the new Mondo? Make pretty packages that sound like hot garbage?

If you thought Mondo prices were expensive for their soundtracks, just wait.

you-aint-seen-nothing-yet-bachman.gif

Enoch was a forum user back in the day. He had a complete VMP collection. Every single rotm, every single exclusive. I believe he sold off his collection and stopped posting around the same time.
Did he actually sell off his collection though? I remember him offering it for some ridiculous price and saying local pickup only, and then getting annoyed when people asked if he'd sell individual records.

It was definitely an odd situation. I remember him getting super annoyed anytime VMP pressed something he didn't like, like it was their fault 😂

Last edited:
Great find from @Skalap

The John Coltrane Quartet - Africa/Brass (1961)
The New Amazing Chico Hamilton Quintet – Passin' Thru (1963)
Lorez Alexandria – Alexandria The Great (1964)
Charles Mingus– Mingus Plays Piano: Spontaneous Compositions And Improvisations (1964)
Gabor Szabo – Jazz Raga (1967)
Mel Brown - Chicken Fat (1967)
Pharoah Sanders - Karma (1969)
Alice Coltrane - Ptah the El Daoud (1970)
Interesting...I have all but two of these (Chico and Lorez), but I wouldn't say "definitive" copies of any. Going to be a tough call on this.

Great find from @Skalap

The John Coltrane Quartet - Africa/Brass (1961)
The New Amazing Chico Hamilton Quintet – Passin' Thru (1963)
Lorez Alexandria – Alexandria The Great (1964)
Charles Mingus– Mingus Plays Piano: Spontaneous Compositions And Improvisations (1964)
Gabor Szabo – Jazz Raga (1967)
Mel Brown - Chicken Fat (1967)
Pharoah Sanders - Karma (1969)
Alice Coltrane - Ptah the El Daoud (1970)
Hasnt half of this boxset already been reissued elsewhere?

Hasnt half of this boxset already been reissued elsewhere?
For sure - more than half even, but mostly budget-type reissues:
  • Mingus - Superior Viaduct did one that's okay at best (nowhere near their great version of Black Saint)
  • Szabo - LITA did a decent version. I think it's a Rainbo pressing, but my copy sounds fine
  • Mel Brown - recent Verve reissue done at Third Man
  • Karma - Chad did this one, I assume it's a good one
  • Alice - recent Verve reissue done at Third Man

Did he actually sell off his collection though? I remember him offering it for some ridiculous price and saying local pickup only, and then getting annoyed when people asked if he'd sell individual records.

It was definitely an odd situation. I remember getting super annoyed anytime VMP pressed something he didn't like, like it was their fault 😂

He wasn’t a nice person. On the old forum he used to gaslight anyone who had pressing problems on a record and shout over their complaints.

Also used to be very outspoken, acted like the forums official spokesperson and couldn’t deal with disagreement. Everyone who disagreed, no matter how minorly was orchestrating some kind of mass witch hunt style pile up.

Also he wanted the whole discogs median $65k, local pick up only. Didn’t like people kindly, initially, pointing out that he couldn’t realise that in one drop. Was told collector not could afford that and that a dealer would knock at least 40% off because they have to make a profit. Apparently these were bad faith attacks 🙄

Last edited:
Interesting:

I'm excited about this. There are a ton of artists who will work with them after how everything will shake out

Misconceptions about what the VMP press will and won’t do are still lots of fun. There is no way ever that they do all of their variants in house.
I think they are just aiming to do all their ROTM tracks and then anything else is a bonus for them, if they even take that on. I don't see them pressing much outside of their ROTMs at the new plant though.

For sure - more than half even, but mostly budget-type reissues:
  • Mingus - Superior Viaduct did one that's okay at best (nowhere near their great version of Black Saint)
  • Szabo - LITA did a decent version. I think it's a Rainbo pressing, but my copy sounds fine
  • Mel Brown - recent Verve reissue done at Third Man
  • Karma - Chad did this one, I assume it's a good one
  • Alice - recent Verve reissue done at Third Man
The definition of Lost Sounds Found.

I think it will eventually be a new track plus store drops plus posters. seems they have brought the mondo folks in to help be involved in LOTS Of vmp stuff including packaging, art prints, etc.

To be fair, if they step up their game with their own pressing plant and start offering some nice alternative packaging, this could be a great and positive change. It will also means another $20 to be added to every new "exclusive".

Love the idea of more premium, artist-led packaging (for soundtracks or other releases). But definitely worried about price.

Back