Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

Probably going to be about the same with shipping to Canada, but if you prefer not to buy into the $46 for a 2LP thing:

I'm just going to wait to see if my local shop gets a few copies in later. Very likely they will. Not buying into this shit anymore.
$22 difference between their colored version and the VMP exclusive. My goodness.

$22 difference between their colored version and the VMP exclusive. My goodness.
That’s ridiculous!!! 😳😳😳

I really like the two singles so far from this upcoming DARKSIDE album and obviously want this VMP exclusive, but I’m not ready to pay that price! This doesn’t ship until August anyways, so I’m happy to wait to see how I go financially but because of that price tag, it’s a pass for me for the time being! 😶

That’s ridiculous!!! 😳😳😳

I really like the two singles so far from this upcoming DARKSIDE album and obviously want this VMP exclusive, but I’m not ready to pay that price! This doesn’t ship until August anyways, so I’m happy to wait to see how I go financially but because of that price tag, it’s a pass for me for the time being! 😶
I mean, you could always price out different options or wait and see if a local shop gets it in. If you're not ready to pay that price then why go with VMP at all? Yes, shipping from the US probably is the equivalent of buying from VMP, but at some point you got to start speaking with your wallet, and VMP seems to be just getting greedy.

I mean, you could always price out different options or wait and see if a local shop gets it in. If you're not ready to pay that price then why go with VMP at all? Yes, shipping from the US probably is the equivalent of buying from VMP, but at some point you got to start speaking with your wallet, and VMP seems to be just getting greedy.
I like this exclusive variant and I really like VMP + I’ll be getting the VMP pressing for DARKSIDE’s Psychic. Because I will be getting a VMP pressing for DARKSIDE’s debut, it only makes me want to get a VMP pressing for DARKSIDE’s upcoming sophomore album! 🙈

I like this exclusive variant and I really like VMP + I’ll be getting the VMP pressing for DARKSIDE’s Psychic. Because I will be getting a VMP pressing for DARKSIDE’s debut, it only makes me want to get a VMP pressing for DARKSIDE’s upcoming sophomore album! 🙈
To each their own I guess...but for me music tops variants and I feel kind of weird rewarding shady pricing.

I'm just not sure how they can justify this any more. Like are they compensating for international orders? Maybe, but in that case just charge International members shipping and leave the US prices low. If I lived in the states there would be no earthly reason unless it's purely a VMP exclusive album to ever buy a store drop again.

I wonder what's stopping them for doing this:

$29USD for the album...still the most expensive option.
Free shipping for US members bundled with their ROTM.
+$5USD for international members to be included with their ROTM.

I would be 100% fine doing this. $34USD is much more in my comfort zone than $46. I just feel like they're charging flipper pricing now because they absolutely can.

Probably going to be about the same with shipping to Canada, but if you prefer not to buy into the $46 for a 2LP thing:

I'm just going to wait to see if my local shop gets a few copies in later. Very likely they will. Not buying into this shit anymore.
These prices are insane but I Tina'd anyways since I can't be bothered paying shipping not to mention I can't shop locally due to the stay-at-home order 😕

These prices are insane but I Tina'd anyways since I can't be bothered paying shipping not to mention I can't shop locally due to the stay-at-home order 😕
You probably won't see it in your store until July anyway. My local store is thankfully doing curbside pickup and the main one downtown Toronto (Sonic Boom) is still shipping orders for like $15 under $175, over it's free.

You hit it on the head. Subscribers are being punished for a significant portion of VMP pressings being bought solely to flip. VMP is acutely aware of what people are getting for theses records on the second hand market and they want a piece of the action.
People have been complaining for as long as I've been a subscriber that Vinceron may have a connection within VMP and it looks like they decided to just cut him out altogether.

They’re slowly creeping further towards MoFi and AP prices but they have none of the quality control and their pressings rarely match that of those two labels. It is abSURD. Only way the store gets me is if I’m head over heels in love with the variant, which is more and more rare because of the price points they’re attaching to their products now. Makes it real easy to look the other way and take my money else where.

People have been complaining for as long as I've been a subscriber that Vinceron may have a connection within VMP and it looks like they decided to just cut him out altogether.
Why not be out in the open about it? Big name acts reserve blocks of concert tickets to sell on StubHub at premium prices. Seems akin to this, no?

I wonder what's stopping them for doing this:

$29USD for the album...still the most expensive option.
Free shipping for US members bundled with their ROTM.
+$5USD for international members to be included with their ROTM.

I would be 100% fine doing this. $34USD is much more in my comfort zone than $46. I just feel like they're charging flipper pricing now because they absolutely can.
Also, this isn’t directed at VMP (but it certainly applies). When purchasing colored variants why do we do it? I would suggest the appeal is mostly the exclusivity and to a lesser extent investment purposes and that makes sense when there is little to no difference in price between the standard edition and a colored special edition. It makes a whole lot less sense when the their are multiple colored editions and the price of some of those exclusives far exceeds to normal price. If you look at the Darkside release, so far there are 3 colored exclusives and the price difference between 2 of the 3 colored pressings in negligible between $2 and $8 more than the standard black edition respectively. The VMP pressing at more than double the other pressings price point kills most of the investment value that may have been potentially gained especially when considering that there will be other colored options available to purchase on the secondary market. Just my two cents.

To each their own I guess...but for me music tops variants and I feel kind of weird rewarding shady pricing.

I'm just not sure how they can justify this any more. Like are they compensating for international orders? Maybe, but in that case just charge International members shipping and leave the US prices low. If I lived in the states there would be no earthly reason unless it's purely a VMP exclusive album to ever buy a store drop again.
VMP's pricing is terrible, especially when there are multiple variants available of the same album for much less.

It's $50 for this Darkside album as a non-member (just laughable), but $30 directly from the band's website and $25 from Matador. These albums were all probably pressed at the exact same time in the same location and just differ by the color of PVC pellets that were used. I understand the whole international shipping argument for VMP.

For the price difference between the Matador version and the VMP variant you could easily buy a second album, or maybe two. Would I rather have 2 to 3 records for $50 or one overpriced VMP variant for $50? Me personally, I buy records to listen to music. Not to have some stupid gold foil stamp on the jacket or exclusivity.

I continue to sour on VMP and their pricing. Also, I feel like people are really getting suckered when paying these prices. VMP isn't the only game in town in most cases. And when they start charging $40- $50 a pop, other labels and companies are going to do the same, and everyone will get desensitized to overpaying.

Also, this isn’t directed at VMP (but it certainly applies). When purchasing colored variants why do we do it? I would suggest the appeal is mostly the exclusivity and to a lesser extent investment purposes and that makes sense when there is little to no difference in price between the standard edition and a colored special edition. It makes a whole lot less sense when the their are multiple colored editions and the price of some of those exclusives far exceeds to normal price. If you look at the Darkside release, so far there are 3 colored exclusives and the price difference between 2 of the 3 colored pressings in negligible between $2 and $8 more than the standard black edition respectively. The VMP pressing at more than double the other pressings price point kills most of the investment value that may have been potentially gained especially when considering that there will be other colored options available to purchase on the secondary market. Just my two cents.
Don't forget too that VMP is limited to 2000, while one of those Darkside releases is like 500.

Their price model will be the death of them. I too believe this had to do with them becoming aware of what albums sell for on the secondary. But the reason they sold high on the secondary is because they didn’t have a grasp on the demand and underpressed. Now they’re over pressing AND overvaluing which will keep secondary prices BELOW their store price and completely remove any incentive to being a member.

The Darkside website had a limited to 500 glass variant that already sold out. It was $33. The VMP variant (and probably all the others) are being pressed at IRP, the same pressing plant who did the VMP Waits Closing Time pressing that needed an entire repress because it was so effed up and also the VMP Khruangbin Mordecai that's covered in noise and clicks. So not only are they charging MOFI prices but it's being pressed at an absolutely trash pressing plant.

Their price model will be the death of them. I too believe this had to do with them becoming aware of what albums sell for on the secondary. But the reason they sold high on the secondary is because they didn’t have a grasp on the demand and underpressed. Now they’re over pressing AND overvaluing which will keep secondary prices BELOW their store price and completely remove any incentive to being a member.
The incentive isn't there any more for me. It used to be a fun experience and after the DARKSIDE ROTM I'm pretty much done. Even swaps used to be a fun experience because they'd usually drop a repress or two in there that would be worthwhile. The pricing is just the nail in the coffin for me.

I was thinking about sticking around for the Doors, but WHY? I can just get a decent copy elsewhere if I REALLY want it (to which I'm not entirely sure) and save money.

Back