Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

@NathanRicaud what is Wilkins down to? I already ordered it, I'm mostly just curious at how fast it's selling.

Member survey just went out and there's a question asking you to rank potential Track options you'd be interested in. Options are:

Pop
Classic Rock
Jazz
Soundtracks
Electronic
Metal

I went:

Jazz
Classic Rock
Electronic
Metal
Pop
Soundtracks

Although I am a bit curious what would become of Classics with no Jazz in it. Just fully dive into 70s soul/funk/disco with still the random blues?

Also, how did everyone answer the last question on the survey, which pretty much asks for our personal white whales. I said to get this album pressed on vinyl for the first time ever:

Yusef Lateef has now sold out! So happy it sold out! Hopefully VMP do more AAA, audiophile releases soon!
The Yusef Lateef exclusive is about to sell out! AAA, pressed at RTI, remastered by Ryan Sterling at Sterling Sound and 180g! Don’t miss out on this amazing exclusive that’s only USD$30!!!

oh Nathan...

🤷‍♂️

whats so great about them creating a shortage of this release ?
why does this make you happy ?
because you tried helping them?
would you be sad if they sold 750 of 1000?

oh Nathan...

🤷‍♂️

whats so great about them creating a shortage of this release ?
why does this make you happy ?
because you tried helping them?
would you be sad if they sold 750 of 1000?
I'm not particularly fond of VMP in the past year or two, but if selling 1,000 copies of this in a few days means they press more AAA jazz stuff...I'm not complaining.

I'm not particularly fond of VMP in the past year or two, but if selling 1,000 copies of this in a few days means they press more AAA jazz stuff...I'm not complaining.
ok. i assumed this was limited to 500. and just used the next larger badge.
ill stay with my point. im not going to be glad when a company sells all of a product they created a shortage of.
why would i be happy that other people cant get it.

ill stay with my point. im not going to be glad when a company sells all of a product they created a shortage of.

Also the whole FOMO culture is just a huge steaming pile of shit and kicking back against not even the company, but one of us, feeding it is spot on.

Totally fair. I wasn't really thinking of it in that way! I just accept the limited nature of a lot of vinyl these days. I prefer when stuff is widely available and maybe has a variant for those who want it. But I also know that it's just not realistic for every album to have an open run of pressings, especially with plants being so backed up now.

I agree with you and @Joe Mac though that I don't like all the FOMO stuff in general.

Totally fair. I wasn't really thinking of it in that way! I just accept the limited nature of a lot of vinyl these days. I prefer when stuff is widely available and maybe has a variant for those who want it. But I also know that it's just not realistic for every album to have an open run of pressings, especially with plants being so backed up now.

I agree with you and @Joe Mac though that I don't like all the FOMO stuff in general.
Agree on both sides. I dont like limited printings and wish everything was available to all who wanted it.
BUT I know thats not how VMP exclusives work and 1k isnt that small of a run. Im happy to see something like this, which is a solid package and a good price, go fast so they know the demand is there for more releases like this....rather than overpriced and uninspired color variants of wide released albums

Agree on both sides. I dont like limited printings and wish everything was available to all who wanted it.
BUT I know thats not how VMP exclusives work and 1k isnt that small of a run. Im happy to see something like this, which is a solid package and a good price, go fast so they know the demand is there for more releases like this....rather than overpriced and uninspired color variants of wide released albums

I agree with this & I haven't read back through all the posts, but I think this is basically what Nathan said. If you look at it the other way round, and these took 3 months to sell, VMP would likely not bother with the kind of records I want to buy. I for one want more like this.

I do not like the line of thinking that something is only successful if it sells out. Ideally things would be pressed in amounts so that everyone who wants one can get a copy. If you absolutely have to have your limited FOMO then I maintain the open pre-order method is the way to go. Everyone who wants one can secure a copy and you don't have to spend money to press more copies than you need to.

Totally agree. I buy records to listen to. Not for speculation. I’d rather everyone had a copy of Blonde and all records were cheaper than the currrnt situation. I don’t spin Blonde too often but it’s nice that I can. Would be nice if everyone could. The difference between a music fan and a collector is a music fan finds an old chest with 5 copies of a rare record in it will give 4 away to friends. A collector will destroy or hide the other 4 to increase the value of the 1 they have.

Totally agree. I buy records to listen to. Not for speculation. I’d rather everyone had a copy of Blonde and all records were cheaper than the currrnt situation. I don’t spin Blonde too often but it’s nice that I can. Would be nice if everyone could. The difference between a music fan and a collector is a music fan finds an old chest with 5 copies of a rare record in it will give 4 away to friends. A collector will destroy or hide the other 4 to increase the value of the 1 they have.
I mean, aren’t we all collectors on some level at the end of the day? Damn near everything is available via digital or streaming. But we like the physical format. These are luxury items. If a music fan wants to listen to Blonde, the fact that the vinyl was so limited hasn’t prevented them from hearing the album.

I hate the manufactured scarcity as well & don’t like the variant game, but it’s a double-edged sword. There’s a bunch of rare records that I wanted that I couldn’t afford 10-15 years ago that I’ve recently been able to acquire recently because they’ve finally been reissued due to the increased interest in vinyl - which the collectors of rare variants have helped generate.

At a certain point there will be a tipping point though. There’s only so much capacity for manufacturing vinyl, and I think the pandemic has highlighted that with all of the delays. If the demand exceeds the capacity, the cost to the consumer will continue to increase. For me, the cost of new records is already at my limit.

And that’s not even taking into account the possibility that the economy declines. At some point the vinyl bubble is gonna burst due to one reason or another. At that point, it’s not going to be manufactured FOMO, but legit scarcity due to lack of demand. And I don’t know if that’s any better than what’s going on now.

I agree with the sentiment. I buy records to play. The music has always been the important thing to me. I do wish I'd been able to take better care of some of the though :) However, I've always considered myself as building, or adding to my record collection & thought of myself as a collector on some level. After buying records over a few decades I've not managed to sell any yet really (which I do need to change from a practicality standpoint).

The difference to me is someone who wants to buy a colour variant over black vinyl? And even more so, pay more money for a colour variant over black vinyl. That can't really be about the music, it's about a sense of false rarity. Limited edition & small runs used to happen all the time, but basically because the retailers thought they would only sell 30, 300, 500 or 1000. I don't think that is a problem, but driving scarcity by limited runs of different colour variants is. To me a record isn't really limited to 500 if you can get the music on black vinyl with a pressing of 5000. If we all change the perception to focus on the music & not the colour of the vinyl, it won't seem as limited or as rare.

Also, surely record store day, should be the real target for creating this type of cynical behaviour. I am happy that VMP have been able to sell a 1000 copies of a Jazz title so quickly. It means we'll get more AAA Jazz. I would guess that most of the people buying

Back