Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

Shit. Just ordered the remaining Jazz dispensary titles & cancelled my add ons thinking they wouldn't show in swaps. I'll check back & cancel the order if I can swap for them
You're PROBABLY fine. I wasn't expecting those JD records to show up two months in a row anyways.

Landed Donny - still need Gábor!
Gabor's gone... at least until they do a repress which given its popularity I think is almost guaranteed.

Have to say that I love the Billie Holiday. I have been playing it constantly over the past few days and my girlfriend has even requested it a couple of times. Even though it isnt a Christmas album it seemed to fit the season quite well really.

Is it any better / different than some of the more recent represses that are available?

Swaps were weak this month. Does seem to be every other month that we get something good. That just wasn't this month.

I swapped for Hathaway. Wanted that one, Holiday and Badu. Figured I should jump on the lower pressed Classics first.

Agreed on the swaps. Went for Hathaway and kept Killer Mike. As others have mentioned, will likely pick up the John Prine here for £20 as a casual skim through on Spotify has me interested in hearing it in full.

Agreed on the swaps. Went for Hathaway and kept Killer Mike. As others have mentioned, will likely pick up the John Prine here for £20 as a casual skim through on Spotify has me interested in hearing it in full.
For whatever reason the Prine is super expensive online in the US and reasonable in the UK and Europe. So if you're buying online, VMP is a better deal than you can get in the US right now (I've been looking the past few weeks) whereas the Rhino is better for the RoW.

Curious as to what Ryan Smith does with it. Some of my best pressings are done by him, so I don't think it will necessarily be inferior to the Rhino.

They should’ve
Swaps were weak this month. Does seem to be every other month that we get something good. That just wasn't this month.

I swapped for Hathaway. Wanted that one, Holiday and Badu. Figured I should jump on the lower pressed Classics first.
They should’ve done the unnumbered exclusives as swaps... feel like they could’ve gotten some great rep for it.

So, I’ve mostly been just lurking in this thread but I would like to offer a word of caution after having learned the hard way many times. I understand swaps appear weak but VMP’s inflated pricing on certain exclusives being added to swaps does not, IMO, qualify as a good swap week. What I mean to say is, if you swap for a title based off the price listed in-store and not based on really enjoying the title then you’ll still be disappointed. The amount of people clamoring over the Jazz Dispensary titles in swaps last week was not reflective of the amount of people I typically see truly interested in fringe titles like these, I’m left to deduce that they must have been excited based purely on value. If value is important to you, and I think it should be, then just swap for credit and wait for the inevitable store drop that you want.

Is it any better / different than some of the more recent represses that are available?
I don't have any to compare it to but its AAA and sounds fantastic to me. The liner notes booklet is good as well, written by Emily J. Lordi who has also written a book titled 'Black Resonance: Iconic Women Singers' which I am keen to pick up.

Sound quality-wise, should I go Donny, Billie, Bog Boi or Redman? I’m leaning Billie, but could be convinced otherwise since I’m sure I’ll enjoy any of them.

Sound quality-wise, should I go Donny, Billie, Bog Boi or Redman? I’m leaning Billie, but could be convinced otherwise since I’m sure I’ll enjoy any of them.
I don’t have Billie, so can’t speak to that one. But out of the others you listed, I’d say Donny sounds the best. Easily. I was happy with how Redman and Big Boi sounded though.

I did see a few people saying they had sound issues with Billie.

For whatever reason the Prine is super expensive online in the US and reasonable in the UK and Europe. So if you're buying online, VMP is a better deal than you can get in the US right now (I've been looking the past few weeks) whereas the Rhino is better for the RoW.

Curious as to what Ryan Smith does with it. Some of my best pressings are done by him, so I don't think it will necessarily be inferior to the Rhino.
I got the Prine for $25 shipped this morning. It’s not that expensive in the US. You can still find it for fairly cheap on eBay and through record shops online. And I don’t think they are OOP...just backordered

The Big Boi and Redman are great sounding hip hop presses in my opinion! It’s not as impressive as the Billie Holiday and Donny Hathaway pressings; which sound sublime - but to have great sounding hip hop pressings for albums you really like is always awesome!

You can’t lose with whichever one you go, as all four are excellent ROTM’s! If I had to choose one, I’d go with Billie Holiday! The colour is really nice and the pressing sounds stunning!

Last edited:
The Big Boi and Redman are great sounding hip hop presses in my opinion! It’s not as impressive as the Billie Holiday and Donny Hathaway pressings; which sound sublime - but to have great sounding hip hop pressings for albums you really like is always awesome!

You can’t loose with whichever one you go, as all four are excellent ROTM’s! If I had to choose one, I’d go with Billie Holiday! The colour is really nice and the pressing sounds stunning!
The Billie is a great album too. It's one of those that when spinning it I kept thinking 'why don't I already own this?'. A great essentials pick for me.

Out of interest what day do people tend to get their store credit from the swap option? I want to use if towards a Jazz Dispensary record and I'm hoping they don't sell out in the meantime. Its the Leon Spencer that I am hoping to get so if anyone has any info on how many are left that would be appreciated.

Out of interest what day do people tend to get their store credit from the swap option? I want to use if towards a Jazz Dispensary record and I'm hoping they don't sell out in the meantime. Its the Leon Spencer that I am hoping to get so if anyone has any info on how many are left that would be appreciated.
I believe it is the 1st or 2nd of the month (after all swaps are closed).

At last check a week or so ago Leon Spencer had around 200 copies left, you should be fine.

Idris and Purdie are probably the first two that will sell out, and neither of them have done so yet.

At last check a week or so ago Leon Spencer had around 200 copies left, you should be fine.

Idris and Purdie are probably the first two that will sell out, and neither of them have done so yet.
Thanks for this! I have the Idris already and the Purdie should be shipped to me soon.

Have to say that although the price is high, the quality is really good. When these can be picked up in swaps or on sale it's worth doing.

Back