Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

I would bet good money they'll get pressed in black-- these are Craft titles. I can't imagine they'll go to the expense of remastering etc just to press 1000 copies of each in colored wax for absurdly expensive prices.

I'm not buying them from VMP and I urge anyone considering it to just wait.
I will take your money on that bet.

The VMP partnership was announced on the Craft website.

Exclusives, limited, I bought 4.

Haven't been following along with vmp but I'd sure love that Idris Muhammad - had it in my discogs wantlist for a while.

Will these be pressed in black as well and available elsewhere? 50$ is shocking.
They are VMP exclusives according to Jazz Dispensary/Craft.
The Idris, a monster record, was reissued by BGO in the UK well over a decade ago. It is digital sourced, but sounds amazing.
I am going to sell mine this weekend as I bought the VMP, but if not for that, the BGO is great.

They are VMP exclusives according to Jazz Dispensary/Craft.
The Idris, a monster record, was reissued by BGO in the UK well over a decade ago. It is digital sourced, but sounds amazing.
I am going to sell mine this weekend as I bought the VMP, but if not for that, the BGO is great.

Are they incredibly specific that it’s the album that’s the exclusive or just the pressing? Usually such details are extremely vaguely written and capable of being construed both ways. That’s deliberate, they want you to think it’s special but they’re more than likely wanting to do a standard pressing.

Are they incredibly specific that it’s the album that’s the exclusive or just the pressing? Usually such details are extremely vaguely written and capable of being construed both ways. That’s deliberate, they want you to think it’s special but they’re more than likely wanting to do a standard pressing.
Not much info, but also absent with the usual 'weasel' words that would imply further standard vinyl pressings. Sadly I have a feeling this will be an exclusive run for VMP (like the aborted P4K series). They might come out in the future but probably not in the next few months. At a 1000 copies each, that is a pretty big run for material like this. But hey I could be wrong. Either way I am not willing to pay the VMP tax on these, but @RHANDMJ I would be interested in buying your copy of Idris off you

I will take your money on that bet.

The VMP partnership was announced on the Craft website.

Exclusives, limited, I bought 4.
Worth mentioning that there's almost always a time clause associated with these, so not 'true' exclusives.

VMP had the sole exclusivity rights to the Oneness Of Juju releases last year and the exact same pressings (just black vinyl) were released by Now Again this year.

Im not sure I can even think of an example of a store release that turned out to be a true VMP exclusive?

Not much info, but also absent with the usual 'weasel' words that would imply further standard vinyl pressings. Sadly I have a feeling this will be an exclusive run for VMP (like the aborted P4K series). They might come out in the future but probably not in the next few months. At a 1000 copies each, that is a pretty big run for material like this. But hey I could be wrong. Either way I am not willing to pay the VMP tax on these, but @RHANDMJ I would be interested in buying your copy of Idris off you
They don’t need to necessarily have weasel words tbh, it’s all in what they say is exclusive and how emphatic they are. Tbh with something this niche I’d not imagine it’d be repressed in weeks or months but niche VMP releases and AoTM have often reappeared as standards from the label/licensee 6 months to a year later.

Worth mentioning that there's almost always a time clause associated with these, so not 'true' exclusives.

VMP had the sole exclusivity rights to the Oneness Of Juju releases last year and the exact same pressings (just black vinyl) were released by Now Again this year.

Im not sure I can even think of an example of a store release that turned out to be a true VMP exclusive?
De La Soul, Willie Nelson, and Loretta Lynn exclusives Come to mind right off the bat but those a bit over a year since VMP released the exclusives and it seems likely they will get repressed at some point but not yet.

They repressed an exclusive of The National’s Sad Songs For Dirty Lovers back in 2017 and it has not been repressed since as of yet.

That was just a colourway though no? I don’t remember that they had it remastered? Because that album has never gone out of print, I can walk into my local and buy it on black vinyl as we speak!

I am of the mindset that we are at a time that as long as their is a slight demand for the album exists it will end up getting repressed. Not so much a matter of if but when. It’s part of the reason I am hard pressed to overpay for something that is currently hard to find.

I think Van Morrison is an exception for me. He’s a grumpy pig, has decided that he no longer likes lots of his iconic work and owns the masters himself to most of them!

I think Van Morrison is an exception for me. He’s a grumpy pig, has decided that he no longer likes lots of his iconic work and owns the masters himself to most of them!
Look on the bright side, he is not getting any younger. So unless he actually destroys the masters his kids will take over the estate

I am of the mindset that we are at a time that as long as their is a slight demand for the album exists it will end up getting repressed. Not so much a matter of if but when. It’s part of the reason I am hard pressed to overpay for something that is currently hard to find.

This is what I keep trying to tell myself about Cut Copy's "In Ghost Colours" - I don't want to pay $200 for it.

De La Soul, Willie Nelson, and Loretta Lynn exclusives Come to mind right off the bat but those a bit over a year since VMP released the exclusives and it seems likely they will get repressed at some point but not yet.
Didn't De La get a surprisingly tiny black issue by Tommy Boy later that year?

Edit: I don't see it on Discogs but I could have sworn that happened. Unless it got pulled.

Edited it: must have been thinking of Buhloone Mindstate.

They repressed an exclusive of The National’s Sad Songs For Dirty Lovers back in 2017 and it has not been repressed since as of yet.
To be fair, I would also argue that VMP is a fairly different company in 2020 than it was in 2017. They have changed quite a bit, and I'm still not convinced it was better for anyone except their investors. But they are a business, so I guess it's not shocking either.

Whilst we’re on the subject of Jazz Dispensary, I thought I’d ask what is everyone’s favourite Jazz Dispensary release from the Jazz Dispensary Top Shelf Series? 🤔

There have only been 10 releases from the Jazz Dispensary Top Shelf Series so far, and my favourites out of those 10 albums are:

1). Joe Henderson - The Elements
2). Gary Bartz NTU Troop - Harlem Bush Music: Uhuru
3). Azar Lawrence - Bridge Into The New Age
4): Rusty Bryant - Fire Eater

Those four releases are the ones I really enjoyed when I checked them out! I’ve already ordered them too! 🐒😎

I like Charles Kynars’s Afro-Disiac but I don’t love it. I think if I put that album on the turntable though, especially as it’s a Kevin Gray, QRP pressing (like the rest of these Jazz Dispensary Top Shelf Series releases), then I’ll fall in love! 😇

The one release from the Top Shelf Series I didn’t enjoy much was the Funk, Inc. release. Although the music is fine, I just didn’t vibe or care for the music on that one unfortunately! 🤷‍♂️

I’m so happy to know these releases from the Top Shelf Series are all 180g, Kevin Gray mastered, QRP pressings too! 😍

So yeah, what’s everyone’s favourites from the Jazz Dispensary Top Shelf Series?

Back