Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

The high price on these VMP x Jazz Dispensary titles has me thinking, what would have been a fair price?

Kevin Gray AAA remastered
RTI pressed
Tip-on Jackets
Colour vinyl
Ltd to 1000

Tone Poets seem to be the benchmark as they are KG remastered, RTI pressed, quality jackets and are $35. That seems reasonable, based on the dozen or so I've bought, but Tone Poets are also standard black vinyl and theoretically unlimited.

Hard to put a price on them being limited to 1000, as we don't know if these are getting a general black reissue and VMP just has a variant as is the case with many of their exclusives?

How much do we value coloured vinyl? An extra $5/record?

If these had been $40 for members would any of us care?
(I'm not considering the bundle, because it makes zero sense unless you love touques.)
We should keep in mind that Tone Poet is a major label initiative so there are no licensing costs, and they gain economies of scale by much larger pressing runs, as the unit cost goes down with volume. So I would not consider that a benchmark compared to a reissue label.

$45 a pop for members seems $5 too high though.

I ordered 4. Passed on the Purdie which is pretty lame anyways. The other 4 are killer titles. The Leon Spencer is a rare gem. The Idris slays.

The high price on these VMP x Jazz Dispensary titles has me thinking, what would have been a fair price?

RTI pressed
Tip-on Jackets
Colour vinyl
Ltd to 1000

Tone Poets seem to be the benchmark as they are KG remastered, RTI pressed, quality jackets and are $35. That seems reasonable, based on the dozen or so I've bought, but Tone Poets are also standard black vinyl and theoretically unlimited.

Hard to put a price on them being limited to 1000, as we don't know if these are getting a general black reissue and VMP just has a variant as is the case with many of their exclusives?

(I'm not considering the bundle, because it makes zero sense unless you love touques.)
$35, same as Intervention, AP and MoFi titles. Intervention even still has a reasonable 2xLP price, unlike those other two. Exclusive is not a reason to raise prices when we are talking *should* or fair. I don't think at these margins that colored should really factor in. But, that is harder to compare to competitors since it isn't very common with AAA audiophile reissues. Especially since many audiophiles don't like colored vinyl. Wasn't MoFi's blue Weezer the same price? Not sure. Not even a gatefold like most MoFis.

I would not consider paying $40 unless it was a grail that I can't get an original or any good pressing for cheaper.

Last edited:

RTI pressed
Tip-on Jackets
Colour vinyl
Ltd to 1000

If the only thing that is “limited” is the color, assuming that everything else is the same does the “limited” nature even add much in value? I bet Craft represses these in black. They tend to press all their limited colored releases in a standard non-limited black editions.

Last edited:
$35, same as Intervention, AP and MoFi titles. Intervention even still has a reasonable 2xLP price, unlike those other two. Exclusive is not a reason to raise prices when we are talking *should* or fair. I don't think at these margins that colored should really factor in. But, that is harder to compare to competitors since it isn't very common with AAA audiophile reissues. Especially since many audiophiles don't like colored vinyl. Wasn't MoFi's blue Weezer the same price? Not sure. Not even a gatefold like most MoFis.

I would not consider paying $40 unless it was a grail that I can't get an original or any good pressing for cheaper.

I agree with this. I would've considered $35 even though even that might be a little high.

Guys, these are CRAFT titles. Craft is a major reissue label. There's no way these won't get standard black for way less than this. Don't waste your money.

N&G VMP Thread today: "WTF?! F that S!!! BURN IT DOWN!!"

Hoffman VMP Thread today: "That seems a little high, but it is what it is. I would order them all but I don't want the beanie. So I'll only get four. Don't tell my wife!"
That's funny, when I frequented over there, VMP was laughed at. Now they don't mind that they are pricing above the audiophile reissue labels with good reputation when the only difference is color and (maybe) exclusivity, which are two things most hoffmanites always used to look down their noses at.

Damn, I've gotten 20 exclusives since then :/ I've been pretty happy with all of them except 'What Kinda Music' was too expensive. FOMO got me there.

On the other hand, the only one I'd give a 10 to so far is 'Catching a Wave'. The rest are 7s or 8s.

TitleCost
Tom Misch & Yussef Dayes - What Kinda Music
$40​
Cowboy Bebop OST
$40​
Local Natives - Gorilla Manor
$34​
Art Blakey - Just Coolin
$29​
Oliver Nelson - Skull Session
$29​
Big Bill Broonzy - The Midnight Special
$29​
Bright Eyes - Down in the Weeds
$29​
Chet Baker Trio - Mr. B
$28​
Rexx Life Raj - Father Figure 3
$27​
Idles - Ultra Mono
$27​
Jonathan Richman - I, Jonathan
$27​
Various - Afro Peruvian Classics
$27​
Al Green - Gets Next to You
$27​
Los Amigos Invisibles - Arepa 3000
$26​
Dashboard Confessional - The Places You Have Come to Fear the Most
$25​
Mary Lattimore - Silver Ladders
$25​
Freddie Gibbs & The Alchemist - Alfredo
$23​
James Booker - Classified
$23​
Steve & Teresa - Catching a Wave
$23​
Anjimile - Giver Taker
$21​
Catching a Wave really is a 10/10! I listened to it last week on vinyl and fell in love! It’s my favourite store exclusive this year too! 🌴⛵🌊♥️

N&G VMP Thread today: "WTF?! F that S!!! BURN IT DOWN!!"

Hoffman VMP Thread today: "That seems a little high, but it is what it is. I would order them all but I don't want the beanie. So I'll only get four. Don't tell my wife!"

Translate: Boomers with money.

SHF members' deep pockets for classic rock and jazz frivolities is well documented.

I think $35 for members and $40-42 for non-members would have been fair. Would have considered 1 or 2 at that price. At $45 a pop for members and a bundle that is more expensive (what does VMP not get about the concept that buying more records should save you money, not cost more), I'm scrolling past without thinking twice.

You can get the Kool and the Gang right from RealMusic for $18. Color is listed as "creamy"

Thanks! I saw this color on Rough Trade for like 28 pounds (?), so that’s a great price straight from the label. Shipping is $4.99 media mail so $22.97.

Mather? I barely know her.

giphy.gif

Back