Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

Which records are we talking about? Were they still in the mailer? I am bad, but I rarely forget about albums coming through the door...

I was living with my parents for a few months in between house completions so I'm guessing they were the ones that were delivered then. They just went straight on the shelf while I was sorting the house and I didn't think about them again. I'm tempted to pretend I didn't see them to be honest

I just live with slight rolls if it doesn't impact on sound and isn't so bad my arm goes round the room and back to track the thing. But I've found Rough Trade (UK) to be great. Newbury are far to expensive once shipping and customs kick in so I swerve but most Bandcamp sites have been brilliant. Guruguru Brain had a replacement with me in 3 days and responded to my email on the same afternoon.

Ah well
Rough Trade UK have been pissing me off. I’ve been trying to contact them for over a month but have gotten no reply. I even contacted them on Instagram but no reply. I’ve contacted them like 4 times and I feel like they don’t want to refund me. They can’t replace the item I purchased because it’s OOS - but I’m cool with a refund. I purchased Madvillainy Sire Edition and paid $AUD84!

This is what I received from them. Both discs were incredibly warped, some of the worst I’ve ever seen:

Never again with Rough Trade UK. Very unhappy with how they’ve dealt with me.

@Mather - Look at how bad these warps on both discs for Madvillainy are. And this is my favourite album of all time! 😭

Rough Trade UK have been pissing me off. I’ve been trying to contact them for over a month but have gotten no reply. I even contacted them on Instagram but no reply. I’ve contacted them like 4 times and I feel like they don’t want to refund me. They can’t replace the item I purchased because it’s OOS - but I’m cool with a refund. I purchased Madvillainy Sire Edition and paid $AUD84!

This is what I received from them. Both discs were incredibly warped, some of the worst I’ve ever seen:

@Mather - Look at how bad these warps on both discs for Madvillainy are. And this is my favourite album of all time! 😭

I had something similar to that once. Bought a few from a seller on discogs and all the warps were massive... And about the same size. The records were pressed about 20 years apart though so was definitely transit or storage and not pressing and I'd guess that madvilliany might be the same. Honestly think amazon drivers are keeping my boxes on their car radiators sometimes!

Yeah, I’m surprised that I had some really badly warped Sam Records vinyl. Maybe it is much more likely for me to receive warped records because I live in Australia and because of shipping.

If that is the case, that’s a real bummer because it will be why I only purchase at a few online retailers now.

I haven’t told Sam Records about my warps yet because I’m getting the records flattened. When I pick them up and play them, if they play perfectly, I’ll let it go. Only purchase from Sam Records I’ll make is when they release a ‘boutique’ vinyl like they did with Donald Byrd as that is truly something special! 💎
Man, you get a lot of warped vinyl! I haven't had any warps for a long while, to be honest. Hope you can get them straightened.

And be careful with the number of returns with Amazon and they can block your account for too many!

I've a few more vinyl purchases incoming but after that I'm gonna just focus on the ones I have for a while, with the exception of Wax Buyers Club who I've been really pleased with so will probably keep my membership going, really curious about that Sam Records release of theirs too!

Hope you have better luck with your newer purchases....!

Philly Joe is the MAN!!! Seriously good drummer and if im unfamiliar with an album but see he is a side-man I usually risk the purchase. In fact, he feature in a crazy amount of the 'big time' jazz releases, such as John Coltrane - Blue Train, Art Pepper - Meets The Rhythm Section, Miles Davis - Round About Midnight, Sonny Clark - Cool Struttin, Hank Mobley - The Turnaround , Lee Morgan - The Cooker, etc.

I did a double take yesterday listening to No Room For Squares during a drum solo, rechecked the liner notes because I had forgotten who the drummer was for a moment and sure enough. Philly Joe.

I had something similar to that once. Bought a few from a seller on discogs and all the warps were massive... And about the same size. The records were pressed about 20 years apart though so was definitely transit or storage and not pressing and I'd guess that madvilliany might be the same. Honestly think amazon drivers are keeping my boxes on their car radiators sometimes!
Yeah, I think the Madvillainy was a transit issue! I’ve been getting some really bad warps like with Sam Records and Wax Buyers Club too. I think you have to use a bigger box to minimise the likelihood of a warp. That’s what amazon does, and it works for the most part!

Sad that these issues are what is likely most due to shipping/transit problems. And because I’m in Australia, it’s not like I have an Urban Outfitters or Newbury Comics to go to or a Rough Trade store to go to, to return my item! That’s why all those 3 retailers are eliminated for me, for good.

I’m kinda happy though it’s just Amazon, VMP and Acoustic Sounds as it means it’s more simple, and means a tiny bit more focus on supporting my locals :)

I did a double take yesterday listening to No Room For Squares during a drum solo, rechecked the liner notes because I had forgotten who the drummer was for a moment and sure enough. Philly Joe.
There's a great album called Benny Golson & The Philadelphians which is just a pure fire line-up (Percy Heath, Philly Joe, Ray Bryant, Benny Golson and Lee Morgan). Philly Joe absolutely kills it on that album as well. I really think he's up there as one of the best, certainly one of the most energetic.

I’m obsessed with Philly Joe now! I can’t wait to look into more of which albums he’s been the drummer on! He’s phenomenal! ♥️🔥🔥🔥

Whoa! I’ve never received a record in the mail even half that warped, and I’ve been buying a lot the last couple of years.

I do receive a lot of warped records, but 98% of them can’t even fit any American coin underneath, and usually I can’t hear any effect on the sound so I just let it be. The only bad ones I usually get are those edge wraps where it’s a sudden bump that causes a hump in the sound or even a skip, and I’ve only received maybe 3 or 4 of those.

Check out No Room For Squares by Hank Mobley. It is stacked to the gills and is one of my favorite recordings at the moment....Herbie is on it :)
Ohhhhhh that is a great album! I remembering purchasing the BlueNote75 vinyl for that one and my copy was horrendously warped and had so many scratches. Never even played the album unfortunately.

I’m hoping Blue Note give it a more deserving reissue, hopefully a Tone Poet reissue, or for VMP to make it a Classics ROTM!

I remember being a bit gutted that my copy was unplayable and learning about how awful the BlueNote75 pressings were.

Whoa! I’ve never received a record in the mail even half that warped, and I’ve been buying a lot the last couple of years.

I do receive a lot of warped records, but 98% of them can’t even fit any American coin underneath, and usually I can’t hear any effect on the sound so I just let it be. The only bad ones I usually get are those edge wraps where it’s a sudden bump that causes a hump in the sound or even a skip, and I’ve only received maybe 3 or 4 of those.
I’ve been receiving a lot of warps like the one in that video I just showed you.

I think it’s because I live in Australia and it’s so far from everywhere, that there’s just a strong likelihood of the vinyl in my shipment getting infected in some way!

Makes me happy you haven’t been experiencing what I’ve been, but makes me a bit sad that I constantly get very bad warps! No real biggie though in the end as my local does a magnificent job in flattening those severe warps!

My local record store has been a saviour with vinyl warps and have honestly helped ensure I continue to love the hobby! I love the guy who takes care of my records! Love him so much!

Jesus. Those are next level bad. I mean I could fix them for you. But shipping would be horrendous I would imagine.

They're usually fairly quick to reply to me via the chat function on their website. Have you tried that? Once you log in you can usually use that.

I wouldn't settle for that at the cost you've paid. They should refund you for sure, that's disgraceful.

Jesus. Those are next level bad. I mean I could fix them for you. But shipping would be horrendous I would imagine.
Thank you for the offer! I’m lucky my local does the flattening service for me! My local recently fixed it for me actually! I was amazed at how they fixed it, and how the vinyl was still quiet and played perfectly throughout!
They're usually fairly quick to reply to me via the chat function on their website. Have you tried that? Once you log in you can usually use that.

I wouldn't settle for that at the cost you've paid. They should refund you for sure, that's disgraceful.
I’ll try that actually then! Thanks for letting me know about the chat! I got both copies flattened but it costed me $20, so I’m definitely still asking for a refund - especially as it’s a severe warp and that they haven’t been responding to any of my emails. If it was a normal warp, I wouldn’t have cared and played it on my turntable, but those warps on those discs were something else!

Thanks again for telling me about the chat! I’ll try it sometime today! 😃

Back