Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

Ok, what is the story here? I always just pegged Nathan as a super fan. Blindly optimistic in general with some heavy favoritism towards VMP and an affinity for emoji’s. It was a bit annoying at first because I felt it was some sort of meme persona but it doesn’t bother me anymore, it’s endearingly comical most of the time actually, as he never intentionally attacks anybody. But @NathanRicaud,do you really get a free membership with the blokes at VMP for being an emoji master?

He has one track free for life for being super positive in everything he said about them around the time their store disintegrated late last year. To be fair he’s never kept it a secret, he was very open about it at the time it happened.

He has one track free for life for being super positive in everything he said about them around the time their store disintegrated late last year. To be fair he’s never kept it a secret, he was very open about it at the time it happened.

Gotcha! Cool, and good for him! So long as people are cautious with how much they let an internet stranger influence them I don’t see any harm in it. I wish I could stay a fraction as positive as he portrays, alas I hold consumer services to a higher standard and that’s a personal decision :)

Because VMP release have exceptional ROTM picks this month!
this month
You've heard that saying "a broken clock is right twice a day" right?
That is why a lot of people are still purchasing from VMP! The classics and Rap & Hip-Hop September ROTM’s are extraordinary!
I've been through this already. That is not why people are purchasing from VMP. People buy from VMP because they fall for their FOMO bullshit. Or I guess there are people who just keep forgetting how shitty VMP are at treating their customers and sending out their product. But VMP largely succeeds on floating the possibility that they will be the only place you will ever be able to buy that record. Remember when people signed back up for QOTSA out of FOMO only for a standard repress to be announced? If people knew that Fishscale and Spiritualized were being widely reissued soon, a lot fewer people would be shuffling their feet back to VMP right now.

Ok, what is the story here? I always just pegged Nathan as a super fan. Blindly optimistic in general with some heavy favoritism towards VMP and an affinity for emoji’s. It was a bit annoying at first because I felt it was some sort of meme persona but it doesn’t bother me anymore, it’s endearingly comical most of the time actually, as he never intentionally attacks anybody. But @NathanRicaud,do you really get a free membership with the blokes at VMP for being an emoji master?
Yeah, I do get a free membership with VMP. I got it at the start of this year! When VMP had the store merge, it was a massive shitshow and it was disastrous for them. I was really optimistic through the whole situation and even sent supportive messages to the team. I had issues with my account, but still renewed and was understanding of it, still optimistic at the time and was very patient. Shortly after, I got an email from the VMP team saying they really appreciate me and they said they want me to be a VMP member for life, for free. So yes, I’ve got free membership for as long as VMP are around! 🙏

Before this occurred though, I was even more charismatic about VMP exclusives and was always recommending releases and reviewing exclusives I loved etc! You should’ve seen me in the VMP forum! It was next level Tys! Haha

I don’t do it as much anymore. I still love VMP and that obviously shows and I am genuine with my thoughts on them and their exclusives. I still agree with a lot of the criticisms people have of them and I can admit that their shipping deadlines and customer service is overall is poor! 📊

However, ever since I got the free membership (for life), a lot of people don’t see me as genuine when I talk optimistically of a VMP exclusive. A lot of people know it’s just me being my usual self, but others think I’m some kind of sponsored VMP person, or am non empathetic as I don’t pay for membership etc. Like I dunno, a lot of people don’t take any of what I say as seriously anymore and I’m OK with that! 😃👍🤷‍♂️

But yes, I do get free membership with VMP! Just wanted to give you the backstory on how it happened and everything 😊

I've been through this already. That is not why people are purchasing from VMP. People buy from VMP because they fall for their FOMO bullshit. Or I guess there are people who just keep forgetting how shitty VMP are at treating their customers and sending out their product. But VMP largely succeeds on floating the possibility that they will be the only place you will ever be able to buy that record. Remember when people signed back up for QOTSA out of FOMO only for a standard repress to be announced? If people knew that Fishscale and Spiritualized were being widely reissued soon, a lot fewer people would be shuffling their feet back to VMP right now.

Yep, this 100%, if that spiritualized was anywhere else I’d buy it from there instantly. Their curation sucks in general though, classics is the ultimate in hype over substance for me, I’ve sold so many of those and there are more about to be put up for sale/PIF soon.

Last edited:
I suppose when you’re getting it for free it’s not as much of a shitter when they raise the prices.
You're right. All my typing is in vain, I won't be able to change @NathanRicaud's mind. And I guess if I was him with my free records it would probably take a lot for me to jump ship too, so whatever. What's more befuddling to me is the people coming back to them after the price jump, the mood a few weeks ago was that VMP had finally put the final nail in the coffin and that everyone was done with them. Now they have some pretty colors and people are suddenly screaming "please take my money!" I guess it was naive on my part to believe it would actually stick this time. Just more temporary outrage before people decide to keep enabling VMP to screw them over again and again.

Yes, that is why a lot of people are purchasing - because they do great ROTM’s a lot of the time - for the most part, they sound excellent! Also, their taste levels in what they choose to make exclusive is great too and adds to the fun of discovering music etc! They always talk about why they chose to press an album, unlike many other companies like UO!

Yes, they evoke FOMO, but let that be the issue for those who fall for it! We don’t know if Spiritualized really will have another pressing as part of that reissue VMP are doing! Spiritualized can answer that! Same with Ghostface’s Fishscale! Ghostface can answer that! But VMP are able to exclusively press these hot titles a lot of the times because they have such a huge subscription base!

End of the day, no one who promotes VMP as a good club is asking you to join Hitler Youth or go get audited on a sea-borne Scientology vessel. It's records. Plain and simple it is largely inconsequential. Yes, you could make a counter-argument about some perceived evilness about VMP, but it only goes so deep.

I'll shit on VMP. I've, personally, had a fine experience with them. But I'll also be one of the first to raise my hand when asked if they have bad CS and if the price raise is a huge CF. I commiserate with those who hate them. I understand those who like them (I don't understand the blind optimism, but I also don't understand blind optimism in life, so it tracks).

I definitely don't understand the amount of brain bytes people use trying to convince others how good or bad they are when they're largely talking past one another.

Yes, that is why a lot of people are purchasing - because they do great ROTM’s a lot of the time - for the most part, they sound excellent! Also, their taste levels in what they choose to make exclusive is great too and adds to the fun of discovering music etc! They always talk about why they chose to press an album, unlike many other companies like UO!

Yes, they evoke FOMO, but let that be the issue for those who fall for it! We don’t know if Spiritualized really will have another pressing as part of that reissue VMP are doing! Spiritualized can answer that! Same with Ghostface’s Fishscale! Ghostface can answer that! But VMP are able to exclusively press these hot titles a lot of the times because they have such a huge subscription base!

I like how you couch the argument in your first paragraph as being in agreement with @gaporter when you are actually saying the exact opposite thing...

now i am angry as a motherfucker because i planned for a shitty album to be the R&HH ROTM and now i have to work up another 30 bucks OR remove RSD things i might have wanted because i dont have the extra 30 bucks plus 15 bucks for other subscriptions i have

Back