Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

I think it depends, I tend to err on the side of caution and even within minor warps there are variances. For example I’d take a minor dish over a minor edge every day of the week. I get where you are coming from though!
That's because you are a genuinely well meaning grader instead of one who overgrades and tries to give a few bucks back to the few who actually complain to keep close to that 100% positive!

Last edited:
Honest VMP-related question: do vinyl warps decrease the grading value to you super collectors even if the sound is not overtly affected?
Warps affect the grading to anyone buying or selling on Discogs, which uses the Goldmine Standard system.

For VG+, there can be slight warps that do not affect the sound. You apparently graded the record as NM which was incorrect. With the warp, this is not subjective. It's in the guidelines.
Reaching out and communicating is usually a good next step. He went right to negative feedback. I wanted to tell him “That’s VMP, baby!”
This is your get-out-of-negative-feedback-for-free card. If the buyer did not first communicate with you on the order page to resolve the issue, Discogs will remove the feedback if you report it and mention this.

That said, a brand new VMP record and a 50-year-old record are all held to the exact same grading standards when using Goldmine.
VG+ is basically a perfect record for all but perfectionists.
I buy almost exclusively at the VG+ level and love it.

Are your mats perfectly flat? Mine wasn't for many years, and I only discovered that after I switched to a new cork mat. Lightweight records on a warped mat created an illusion of a warp during rotation, and I am from time to time discovering that what I flagged as a warped record actually wasn't.
I use An acrylic mat. I use my Michel on warps and a weight on flat records. If you check my posts in what’s spinning, you will see I use the Michel almost ten to one to the weight.

This is your get-out-of-negative-feedback-for-free card. If the buyer did not first communicate with you on the order page to resolve the issue, Discogs will remove the feedback if you report it and mention this.

That said, a brand new VMP record and a 50-year-old record are all held to the exact same grading standards when using Goldmine.

I did not know that was an option, thanks for the heads up. I've also adjusted records i'm selling to VG+ where I previously used NM (even if it is new but opened/never played) to adjust to potential buyer expectations.

Honest VMP-related question: do vinyl warps decrease the grading value to you super collectors even if the sound is not overtly affected?

Yes. And grading should reflect that accordingly. It's not that pressing a flat vinyl and packaging it properly is some kind of magical unicorn thingie that some folks keep alluding to.

Back