Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

30,000 subscribers for essentials

I keep seeing this number, and I think it is quite a high estimate. Scanning the discogs entries for the past six or seven essentials (at least the ones I have), the number of these in people's collections range from 1849 (Caroline Rose) to 6051 (Queens of the Stone Age). The average is more like 3500. I know not everyone uses discogs, so a bit of extrapolation with some assumptions can be made from limited release numbers.

Here are some "In collection"/"total press" numbers for known quantity limited editions:
431/750 = 57%
574/1500 = 38%
342/750 = 45%
592/1500 = 39%
266/500 = 53%
234/500 = 46%

As you can see these vary a bit from 38% to 57%. So taking this range for QotSA, the range of essentials subscribers would potentially be 10615 to 15923.
High end math if only 38% people have in collection: 6051/0.38 = 15923
Low end math if 57% have in their collection: 6051/0.57 = 10615

Another way to look at it, is if there are indeed 30,000 essentials subscribers, that means only 20% of the QotSA collectors are using discogs.

Granted, this makes some assumptions that people are using discogs truthfully. Also, the limited editions are indeed limited to the number advertised. These estimates may even be a bit high, since limited editions attract more collectors who may be inclined to use discogs more than the average user.

I'm sure this calculation flawed is somehow, but I think their subscriber base for one track is closer to a max of 15,000, and averaging closer to 7000.

That's what I do with having more time....

I keep seeing this number, and I think it is quite a high estimate. Scanning the discogs entries for the past six or seven essentials (at least the ones I have), the number of these in people's collections range from 1849 (Caroline Rose) to 6051 (Queens of the Stone Age). The average is more like 3500. I know not everyone uses discogs, so a bit of extrapolation with some assumptions can be made from limited release numbers.

Here are some "In collection"/"total press" numbers for known quantity limited editions:
431/750 = 57%
574/1500 = 38%
342/750 = 45%
592/1500 = 39%
266/500 = 53%
234/500 = 46%

As you can see these vary a bit from 38% to 57%. So taking this range for QotSA, the range of essentials subscribers would potentially be 10615 to 15923.

Another way to look at it, is if there are indeed 30,000 essentials subscribers, that means only 20% of the QotSA collectors are using discogs.

Granted, this makes some assumptions that people are using discogs truthfully. Also, the limited editions are indeed limited to the number advertised. These estimates may even be a bit high, since limited editions attract more collectors who may be inclined to use discogs more than the average user.

I'm sure this calculation flawed is somehow, but I think their subscriber base for one track is closer to a max of 15,000, and averaging closer to 7000.

Yeah I mean Discogs is a pig if you’re not that way inclined and I’d wager a majority of people on here don’t use it, or only use it to buy/sell rather than catalogue, never mind the more casual end of their pool, about 1 in 5 would sound right. I think that number was taken from the prospectus to crowd fund Flaming Lips/QOTSA/Aretha but I’d agree that it is likely the number for a good month rather than for every month.

431/750 = 57%
574/1500 = 38%
342/750 = 45%
592/1500 = 39%
266/500 = 53%
234/500 = 46%

I would wager that people who just let their essentials subscription ride and don't care about limited exclusives are less likely to use discogs than the average person who jumps on those limited exclusives. Hard to say though. Those are interesting statistics either way, so thanks for doing that.

I would wager that people who just let their essentials subscription ride and don't care about limited exclusives are less likely to use discogs than the average person who jumps on those limited exclusives. Hard to say though. Those are interesting statistics either way, so thanks for doing that.

Yeah, that would make sense to me, too. I did not do a deep dive, only the last eight or so essentials, and I did use the most recent extreme high of QotSA. The average discogs ownership of the past eight or so essentials is about 3500. But yeah, it's hard to say.
Cheers.

Apparently other folks on reddit are wondering about these numbers, too.

That's not me, btw.

Obviously there's no way for us to know for sure, but there have been several articles published about VMP that used numbers provided by VMP that the writers thought were credible. It's the one thing about VMP that I don't really see any reason to doubt.

I think it was the Billboard article (now behind a paywall) that most recently provided rough number estimates in the ~30k range, with mentions that the Classics and R&HH tracks were each selling in the ~5k ballpark. But prior to that, they were floating ~15k numbers in 2016, and even have publicly discussed a mistake in 2015 when they overestimated how many copies of an AOTM they were going to sell when they ordered 25,000 copies.

Wonder if someone can help out, I had a notification that Continuum shipped last week, although the tracking number consisted of six digits, VMPSO, then six more digits.

When I click the tracking option, I get taken to the membership page.

Is this normal? Guessing this hasn't been shipped yet...!

Wonder if someone can help out, I had a notification that Continuum shipped last week, although the tracking number consisted of six digits, VMPSO, then six more digits.

When I click the tracking option, I get taken to the membership page.

Is this normal? Guessing this hasn't been shipped yet...!

It is I got the same tracking number for the Fiona that I totally ordered as a member 😏. Download the parcelsapp app for your phone or go to www.parcelsapp.com enter the tracking number in there and you’ll get better tracking info.

@adrock shared this picture in the WBC thread on Saturday

View attachment 61047

I got the standard black version of this album-- but it's really good. It's amazing how Oliver Nelson had such a distinctive "sound" that held through so many of his recordings and compositions. Even in a more modern funky/synth based album like Skull Sessions, his voice is still so strong. I've really grown into a big Nelson fan these last couple months.

As opposed to principles of a company.

1. Have a Quality Product
2. Know Your Industry and Competitors
3. Promote Your Products and Services
4. Build a Great Staff
5. Understand Organizational Structure and Design
6. Use Capital and Cash Flow Wisely
7. Understand the Fundamental Principles of Accounting and Finance
8. Respect Your Customers

I bet if you told discogs that they have approx 20% of the VMP user base actively using their platform they would be THRILLED. That's a solid market share from a label that has a large user base, above average prices, and zero formal integration.

But having said all that, I would not be surprised if VMP rounds up to 30 from say... 24.6. Given the way VMP does things, I also wouldn't be surprised if they count each track as a single subscription. So if you (one individual) subscribes to all 3 tracks, you have 3 subscriptions. It would in no way shock me if VMP counts that as 3 "subscribers" especially with their investor backed business model.

I bet if you told discogs that they have approx 20% of the VMP user base actively using their platform they would be THRILLED. That's a solid market share from a label that has a large user base, above average prices, and zero formal integration.

But having said all that, I would not be surprised if VMP rounds up to 30 from say... 24.6. Given the way VMP does things, I also wouldn't be surprised if they count each track as a single subscription. So if you (one individual) subscribes to all 3 tracks, you have 3 subscriptions. It would in no way shock me if VMP counts that as 3 "subscribers" especially with their investor backed business model.

If I remember in the prospectus it was approx 30k essentials and approx 40k individual subs (so across all 3 streams). Again I think that these would be peak numbers, aren’t necessarily true anymore given the fuck ups since this time last year, and yeah there may well be rounding up involved.

Missed the CC talk. Credit cards are bad news in general but if you have good financial habits and are careful they can be very useful. We put nearly every expense we can onto our Southwest card. I haven’t paid for a flight in years (minus the $99 fee every 12 months) and haven’t paid interest on a CC in probably 5 years as well. Before that though we had definitely dug ourselves a hole that I would not wish upon anyone (mainly paying for a wedding and a house and 2 moves). But we got out of it and we’ve been smooth sailing ever since. CC interest is the absolute pits and should be the first thing you target when attacking debt.

That said everyones situation is different and you should chose the financial decisions that best suit it.

If I remember in the prospectus it was approx 30k essentials and approx 40k individual subs (so across all 3 streams). Again I think that these would be peak numbers, aren’t necessarily true anymore given the fuck ups since this time last year, and yeah there may well be rounding up involved.
Still, the 30k might be the number pressed and not the number of customers. Actual membership might have been 25k peak, plus 5k to replace potential warps and shipping errors, and you know, by the time they add on how many Vinceron wants as well.

Credit cards are bad news in general

I wholeheartedly disagree with this. I’d say they’re bad news specifically - that is, specific to the person who misuses them. And that’s what the companies are banking on, quite literally. But I think in general there is nothing good or bad about cards. All goes down to the specific person.

Back