Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

I'm waiting on my July ROTM but got a shipping notice for 2 of 3 of my August records! The 1 missing is the Tyner record... The July record is The Roots FWIW so it makes no sense why that hasn't shipped! Looking forward to this all being over and moving on to buying and ordering from my local, and gasp, actually receiving records in a timely manner again!

I think if you've had to be self sufficient then you have a different perspective. I moved out of my parent's home when I was 20 and have moved back twice. Once because there was a gap in between selling my old flat and completing on my current (and hopefully forever) home and a second time when I was having work done to the house late last year. Both experiences have taught me one thing. Firstly, even as a 40 year old I still dearly, dearly love my parents but secondly I would rather have to choose between Netflix OR Amazon Prime (as both is a bit extravagant), limit nights out, eating out and takeaways and most relevantly limit my vinyl and other luxury purchases to a set monthly amount and either stick to it or go lower than have to go back to living with them again on a permanent basis. Like I say, I love them but absolutely fuck that.

I guess if you've never had that independence then you don't really have that mindset and you can quite happily wax a load of cheddar on coloured LPs safe in the knowledge that no fucker is going to come and boot you and your dog out of your home for it. You don;t really miss what you've never had so life is instead lived in current circumstances. The worst part about reading it was how old it made me feel.

Eh, I think all have their own priorities. Unlike Nathan, I would never dip into retirement for non-essential purposes, but I do spend alot of money on Vinyl every month (and eating out) and have been completely self-sufficient since I first went away to college

I’ve always been way looser with my money than most people I know but I really feel it’s essential for me to enjoy life day to day. I do however always make sure to have an emergency cash account, with at least 3 month salary and deposit at least 10% to my 401k each paycheck. And l have paid off my student loans, Gotten married, and put a down payment on a house so the major expenses are behind me (especially since my wife and I have zero desire to ever have children).

Should I still probably spend less? Absolutely but it’s all about you what you want in life. I wont judge Nathan or anyone else on how they want to spend the money they earn, especially on a community board built around Vinyl purchasing,

put a down payment on a house so the major expenses are behind me

Me and my girlfriend have been living in my own home for a couple of years now but still have friends that are renting. Our situations are incredibly similar (we have the same jobs after finishing uni at the same time, presumably similar pay and all live in London) and it's incredible to see just how important getting on the property market is to your monthly finances (assuming your end goal is to own your own place). London is especially bad for seeing your paycheck drained on rent, but having set-up the mortgage we are actually paying significantly less each month on a property which is far nicer and which we own. We achieved this by being incredibly thrifty for several years (for 5-years I rented a 2.5m X 3m room which I couldn't even stand-up in to save on rent) while my friends continued to spend freely. They are now in the position where they can't afford to save for a deposit because all their money is going on rent, its a really vicious cycle which is tricky to break unless you move away from the capital (where most of the money is at).

Me and my girlfriend have been living in my own home for a couple of years now but still have friends that are renting. Our situations are incredibly similar (we have the same jobs after finishing uni at the same time, presumably similar pay and all live in London) and it's incredible to see just how important getting on the property market is to your monthly finances (assuming your end goal is to own your own place). London is especially bad for seeing your paycheck drained on rent, but having set-up the mortgage we are actually paying significantly less each month on a property which is far nicer and which we own. We achieved this by being incredibly thrifty for several years (for 5-years I rented a 2.5m X 3m room which I couldn't even stand-up in to save on rent) while my friends continued to spend freely. They are now in the position where they can't afford to save for a deposit because all their money is going on rent, its a really vicious cycle which is tricky to break unless you move away from the capital (where most of the money is at).

For sure. I think people don’t realize this. I live in New York, which like London is obviously really expensive and I was paying rent in the City for 6 years while saving for a mortgage. I wouldnt say I was “thrifty” but saving for a down payment was another priority and now that it’s behind me my monthly mortgage is decently lower than my rent payment was for a place I own thats triple the size.

But I still spent ALOT during that time (whats the point of living in NYC if you dont?), I just made sure to have that money set aside before I blew the rest. Again, all about priorities.

Eh, I think all have their own priorities. Unlike Nathan, I would never dip into retirement for non-essential purposes, but I do spend alot of money on Vinyl every month (and eating out) and have been completely self-sufficient since I first went away to college

I’ve always been way looser with my money than most people I know but I really feel it’s essential for me to enjoy life day to day. I do however always make sure to have an emergency cash account, with at least 3 month salary and deposit at least 10% to my 401k each paycheck. And l have paid off my student loans, Gotten married, and put a down payment on a house so the major expenses are behind me (especially since my wife and I have zero desire to ever have children).

Should I still probably spend less? Absolutely but it’s all about you what you want in life. I wont judge Nathan or anyone else on how they want to spend the money they earn, especially on a community board built around Vinyl purchasing,

I think you've missed my point, or I hid my point really well. If someone's circumstances (and that's anyone's. Not just one specific person) mean they can buy a ton of records then great. Go wild. Or spend money on food, or nice hats, or vintage teapots. Whatever. I've never had that as from my early 20s I've always wanted to own, or at least have a chance in 20 years of owning, the properties I live in so my luxury buying has to be a bit more checked (and be within the parameters that my excel spreadsheet allows). My personal circumstances, not someone else's. I don't have access to my pension, nor would I want it this side of my mid 50s so I suppose the closest I have is my house value and I wouldn't want to take equity out my property to buy Vinyl. In fact the thought of taking equity out to do anything other than improve my house further is something I've rigidly stuck too, despite temptation, and reading about young pups going ballistic on acoustic sounds with retirement funds is so detached from where I am in life that it makes me feel like an old, incredibly risk adverse and boring old man.

Frankly, if I'd always lived with my parents I may own more records. But I'm glad I've had 20 years where I haven't (no offense to my parents there). That's my choice.

That may be a bit clearer

The GIF I posted above has me thinking, and I know some people who feel strongly all over the place on this - and especially as time passes...

But do you like or dislike Garden State the movie and/or soundtrack?

I loved both when I saw it in theaters but I don't know that I've seen it since

The GIF I posted above has me thinking, and I know some people who feel strongly all over the place on this - and especially as time passes...

Dislike.

Edit: I'm pretty sure a boyfriend broke up with me because I insisted the movie was mediocre, though the soundtrack was fine.

Last edited:
I am so glad uk pension rules are strict ..I’d have blown mine on women and booze never mind records

I’ve got nothing to add, but this reminded me of a great quote from the genius yet deeply flawed soccer player/footballer, Georgie Best: “I spent a lot of money on booze, birds, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.”

I like them both. I think the movie became lazy shorthand for some overly sincere hipster tropes and the term “Manic Pixie Dream Girl” entered the cultural lexicon because the Natalie Portman character. I am a sucker for a good coming of age movie though. I will say I am glad the backlash spared us from Zach Braff as a generalization defining auteur.

Carrying a credit card balance is basically a nonstarter.

Sure you can be smart about things like car loans and the like, but credit cards are killers.

They’re super dangerous without self control for sure. But If youre smart, a good rewards point credit card is amazing. I use mine for essentially every purchase but make sure to pay my balance each month, and I havent paid for a plane flight in years thanks to rewards.

Back