Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

Or start a new one to abolish them, sometimes the limb is lost and you need to amputate it stop the sickness killing you off...
STOP IT! It breaks my heart how much you dislike VMP Joe! 🥀💔😭

Like you cannot wait until VMP doesn’t exist anymore! Like I know you are low-key living for that to happen! And it breaks my heart because VMP is my everything! 😭😩😅🤣

I doubt it to be honest. $450 for any vinyl set more than 1000 or so pressed is absolutely jumping the shark. There just aren't that many people who can drop that type of cash.

It was discussed heavily when it was first announced, but 7500 is an average pressing for Grateful Dead live vinyl box sets and they sell out quickly and many go for 2x to 3x on the secondary market. Heck, I've bought most of the ones released for RSD the last few years, along with some of the others, for $80-150 a pop. The issue here is a combination of price and poor selection.

Let's say, just as a thought exercise, that they'd picked one or two previously unreleased live shows from each decade. Yeah, there are limits to the 60s and 90s as far as tape/band playing quality, but there are gems to be found. We're talking about a fanbase that still rabidly collects live shows on CD (example), largely due to not having to break up a show or song, but there are plenty who'd pay to have some of these on vinyl. Even for $450, I bet that box would have already long sold out.

reddit mocked our rage when the forums closed

I know. This whole thing is a grand farce. Want to go on there and ‘boo hoo’ them. But that place has always been a shit show. Is anyone surprised at this? Really. All the writing was on the wall. In 20 foot high lettering. In Sharpie. A really classy move from them upstairs throwing Pauly to the lions again too. Those poor CS agents are put through such crap by these pathetic decisions.

There would need to be a lot more than just the 4 Frank albums to sell that many. I think a Kanye box could sell that if it was complete with Cruel Summer, Watch the Throne and all. Id even buy that for $449.
Yeah, A Kanye West Boxset with his albums remastered, I’d definitely purchase it as well for $449! The College Dropout, Late Registration, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (all remastered) + Gradution and Yeezus on vinyl for the first time! I’d be in 100%!

STOP IT! It breaks my heart how much you dislike VMP Joe! 🥀💔😭

Like you cannot wait until VMP doesn’t exist anymore! Like I know you are low-key living for that to happen! And it breaks my heart because VMP is my everything! 😭😩😅🤣

I honestly don’t care one way or the other @NathanRicaud it’s just not that important to me. I do pity the reasoning of anyone who thinks that their new prices are worth it and stays subscribed at those rates.

I have made no secret from the start of this forum that I’ve thought that the size of their presence on this forum and the hype and sales that it drives is a divisive poison and that it is a slap in the face for anyone who had invested a bit of themselves in the community element back in the old place.

A company is your everything? You invest that much in a sales company? People and art and artists in their own terms I get? But a company? Sorry I just don’t get that.

Complete bullshit trying to sell it with "we haven't raised prices in 3 years." So? Neither have most other reissue companies. And if they did, it was 15% or less and only once in that time. Making it sound like anyone would expect a significant yearly increase in price for a retail product shows just how out of touch with the real world they are.

I'm not really devastated at all. If you couldn't tell by my response, that was me in that tweet.

I saw this coming (though obviously not as high as 50%). At the end of the day, Vinyl is a hobby and a non-necessary guilty purchase that I like to spend my disposable income on. Music is pretty much now accessible to all cheaply via streaming services, no one has to pay for Vinyl and people should definitely vote with their wallets if they are fed up. For me personally my only real vices are dining out and Vinyl, and sometimes I spend far too much on both. The only thing that strongly bothers me with them is when something I spend money on, that is supposed to just bring me enjoyment in life, adds unnecessary stress (i.e. Their awful fulfillment practices and ridiculously long to non-existent CS responses).

I havent decided fully yet how this is going to effect me going forward with VMP, but I do know if a Vinyl Me Pardner track comes out I'm signing up for sure. What I'm thinking as of now is I will also almost definitely stay on board for Classics monthly.
Essentials will likely stay but be swapped more, as I can't be as free and loose about exclusive buying and RHH is the most likely to go for me, as it's not a genre I listen to as much as I'd like on wax anyway and I can just swap between that and Essentials when needed.
Similar here I quit smoking and started buying records because I wanted something to show for the money I spent. It worked and I have a pretty respectable collection now and feel a bit healthier, but shit like this makes me want to start smoking again

I was just checking their Twitter feed, and am appalled at their “we haven’t increased subscription prices since 2016” excuse, when they charge up to $35 for single LP release. They used to charge, what, $18, maybe $25, for single LPs? Come on....

When I first signed up in 2016, my month to month was I think somewhere around $25-27, I stayed with that for a while, took a break for a couple of months, and when I came back the price was $29. So to say they haven't raised prices is a lie.

Since they charged my 3-month main track subscription this month, I guess I will stay on for two more months. As for the add-ons, it is going to be wait-and-see, but I doubt either of the two tracks will have titles attractive enough for me to pay extra 10 dollars.

I think MoFi and AP raised their prices what like $5 in the last 10 years? MM had two $5 increases in 10 years before they went crazy price gouging. Just wild that they are trying to sell this as anything other than unprecedented in the market.

Also average inflation in the US over the last 3 years has been around 2%. Even compounded that doesn’t come close to 10%, never mind 50%. I hate the anthologies but I don’t think that it’s just them that’s done for it, them as a monthly service forgetting how to send all the months records in one shipment rather than individually must have added an astronomical amount to their costs. I don’t know how often I’ve said this in the old place, and here, but logistics are really fucking important and they just don’t do them.

I can't even fathom the absurdly poor business sense up and down the organization to result in a situation like this.

It's like that Simpsons episode where Bart got an elephant and homer tried price gouging elephant rides after getting the food bill.

I don't have time to watch the video... just give me the gist of it 🐘

Also average inflation in the US over the last 3 years has been around 2%. Even compounded that doesn’t come close to 10%, never mind 50%. I hate the anthologies but I don’t think that it’s just them that’s done for it, them as a monthly service forgetting how to send all the months records in one shipment rather than one by one must have added an astronomical amount to their costs. I don’t know how often I’ve said this in the old place, and here, but logistics are really fucking important and they just don’t do them.
When they started sending out records one by one in November I predicted that they would be out of business in 6 months if that kept up. It seems this is their grasp at preventing that.

When they started sending out records one by one in November I predicted that they would be out of business in 6 months if that kept up. It seems this is their grasp at preventing that.

You weren’t the only one, I jumped ship for the second time after the January of terrible choices, rebound flings are the worst, and was honestly shocked when I heard that they were still doing that!

That shit made no sense at all. I got 5 packages last month with one LP each lol. Taking into account the cost of shipping materials and media mail, thats $20+ to ship my stuff when it coulda gone in one box for like $6.

Back