Vinyl Burn

rikhav

Hi guys,
Are anyone of you aware about the phenomenon "vinyl Burn" or have you personally experienced it with any of your records ?

I understand the issue of white spots happening when thick PVC made outer sleeves are used but nagoka has come out witha new inner sleeve and it claims that when the vinyl record comes in contact with any kind of "plastic" it can have a vinyl burn issue where permanent white spots are created and the new sleeve material won't let that happen

I know it will be hard for anyone for you to believe but about a year ago I made few sample inner sleeves of that exactly same material and sent it to some vinyl record collectors in my area and none liked the idea. At that time I was not aware about this new nagaoka sleeve and ofcourse did not have any scientific backing like nagaoka would have and full marks to them for doing all the research. I had just gone with what I understood.

Below is the link for the new nagoka inner sleeve

I’ve only ever heard of issues with PVC, it’s related to outgassing of plasticizers or somesuch. Doesn’t even require direct contact.
Exactly what I have heard about also.
But here on this page nagaoka is claiming any kind of "plastic" . Then it also includes the other round bottom inner sleeve which they make as ultimately that's also plastic

Hi guys,
Are anyone of you aware about the phenomenon "vinyl Burn" or have you personally experienced it with any of your records ?

I understand the issue of white spots happening when thick PVC made outer sleeves are used but nagoka has come out witha new inner sleeve and it claims that when the vinyl record comes in contact with any kind of "plastic" it can have a vinyl burn issue where permanent white spots are created and the new sleeve material won't let that happen

I know it will be hard for anyone for you to believe but about a year ago I made few sample inner sleeves of that exactly same material and sent it to some vinyl record collectors in my area and none liked the idea. At that time I was not aware about this new nagaoka sleeve and ofcourse did not have any scientific backing like nagaoka would have and full marks to them for doing all the research. I had just gone with what I understood.

Below is the link for the new nagoka inner sleeve

I can’t get too excited about this unless somebody talks about the specific chemistry involved.

Exactly what I have heard about also.
But here on this page nagaoka is claiming any kind of "plastic" . Then it also includes the other round bottom inner sleeve which they make as ultimately that's also plastic
I'm pretty suspect of that given that people have been using rice-paper style sleeves for decades and this has never been a concern. MoFis have been shipped in their own inner sleeves for nearly 40 years.

I'm pretty suspect of that given that people have been using rice-paper style sleeves for decades and this has never been a concern. MoFis have been shipped in their own inner sleeves for nearly 40 years.
Which also makes me question what is the fuss with the rice paper ?
If i understand correctly it's a piece of paper inside two layers of thin soft plastic. There is no direct contact with it. It's only there to provide little stiffness to the sleeve. So why do many make a fuss of that "rice paper"
Many tell me that they only want sleeves made of rice paper .
How does it matter what kind of paper is there. It's just there to give stiffness to the sleeve so it's easier to insert and remove the record

Back