The WFMU Thread

TheThinWhiteDuke

Ok so I wanted to make a post- then decided no a THREAD, dedicated to something near to my heart. For those in the know, WFMU at 91.1 FM out of New York/New Jersey is one of the sole remaining freeform radio institutions left in the country- absolutely zero corporate sponsorship, entirely listener supported, they have been broadcasting free form since 1958.

Here is a documentary on the station

Are there any listeners out there? Favorite shows? Favorite swag? Since I started working from home full time a year ago, WFMU has gone from an occasional tune in, to a daily part of my spiritual journey. There was a time I might have, when pressed, said I knew something about music. The DJ's at WFMU have brought me back down into the floor of humility. The musical knowledge and arsenal of deep cuts and great bands almost no one has heard of that they wield in each of their eccentric, weird, and incredibly charming shows is truly next level.

THE MARCH PLEDGE MARATHON

As of this post, the station is undergoing it's annual fundraising marathon. As mentioned before, the station is entirely supported by listener donations with no underwriting support from any corporation or college. They typically launch a series of fundraisers every year (a record fair, live shows at their small venue Monty Hall), but the pandemic forced all of these events to be cancelled- somehow, the station managed to stay on the air in 2020 despite only two fundraisers and having to get each DJ set up to broadcast from home. Right now the station is in HIGH GEAR in its promo (the station manager Ken, today announced that for every $1000 raised during his show, he would eat a marijuana cookie), and I'm not here asking anyone to give money, but I AM asking that if you love indie music and the idea of radio as an art form and the spirit of independent broadcasting with no corporate interference , then please check out the station online.

If you do like what you hear and consider supporting them, they will bombard with with an insane amount of swag including tshirts , bumper stickers, and DJ curated mix CD's they make specifically for each year's fundraiser which you can see a list of here

Note: I am not affiliated with WFMU I'm just a stan

Back