The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

I did pick up used CDs of the first five cheap last year. With the ability to skip said nonsense song I mostly enjoyed them but can’t say I loved them.
I own The Game, Jazz, and News of The World on wax mainly because my SO really loves Freddie Mercury and buying her a cheap copy of a Queen record while also buying 4 or 5 albums for myself felt like a nice gesture. I don’t listen to any of them often though.

In those days it really did also take the record company actually pressing and releasing it too!
I’m fairly certain radio play had a piece of it but really don’t know. @TenderLovingKiller® you are now our official chart expert…. How does that work?

I could be wrong but I don’t think people were doing a lot of single buying in 1991. (Especially of 15 year old songs).

Aside to all of that, I don’t know why but it felt like Freddie died earlier than that. Probably because I didn’t really know they existed after the Miracle.

Last edited:
I’m fairly certain radio play had a piece of it but really don’t know. @TenderLovingKiller® you are now our official chart expert…. How does that work?

I could be wrong but I don’t think people were doing a lot of single buying in 1991. (Especially of 15 year old songs).

Aside to all of that, I don’t know why but it felt like Freddie died earlier than that. Probably because they didn’t really know they existed after the Miracle.

The official UK charts, started by NME and blown up by the BBC radio countdown on a Sunday and then top of the pops on tv during the week, were solely on sales.

The singles charts were still strong here, probably due to top of the pops as much as anything, until advent of downloads, so somewhere 1999-2001ish.

The shitty commercial radio stations did used to try to run an alternative chart that included airplay but then I don’t remember anyone paying all that much attention because who wants to listen to heavily playlisted radio with adverts when the BBC channels didn’t have either of those things.

Aside to all of that, I don’t know why but it felt like Freddie died earlier than that. Probably because I didn’t really know they existed after the Miracle.
Not an expert but here is a Wikipedia entry on Billboards Hot 100.

3/19/23
View attachment 198123
Elvis Costello - My Aim is True

This sent me into the bowels of ye olde hard drive to retrieve this show I taped 13 years ago. Had to run on the down low with the economy stealth rig halfway back in the balcony but Thomas Wolfe Auditorium is quite forgiving.

Was talking to an usher after the show and she told me Elvis was so sick that afternoon they had to send for a doctor.

He played 2 hours and 45 minutes. Punk heart, baby.

Easily the best show I saw in 2011. Enjoy a taste...

I'm confused of the difference from the album shown and the album linked on Spotify? The Spotify link has the same name but it looks like it's demos, remixes and live tracks?
Sorry. I didn’t really look after I posted it and no longer sub Spotify, so it’s not entirely clear the way that screen is set up as to what’s on a release. The only other version was the clean version. I have subbed that in.

Sorry. I didn’t really look after I posted it and no longer sub Spotify, so it’s not entirely clear the way that screen is set up as to what’s on a release. The only other version was the clean version. I have subbed that in.
I get that. I'm just more confused by the existence of 2 albums with the same name that appear to be completely different.

Back