The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

6/1/23
ab67616d0000b27319e71d4dd7d826eb2bd4e544

Ash - 1977

I discovered Ash from the Angus soundtrack, the movie was alright but the soundtrack was stellar; it featured really great unreleased tracks from Green Day, Weezer, (the reason I purchased the soundtrack) and introduced me to The Muffs, Smoking Popes, along with Ash, who were the only band that got two tracks. “Kung Fu” is on 1977 which, along with “Girl From Mars”; are probably their best known tracks. I would also recommend also checking out the track “Jack Names The Planets” which is from their debut album.

Last edited:
Never heard of it.
I was a huge fan of Ash when this came out. I think the liner notes on their debut ep ”Trailer” (released the year before this and even better) states that it was ”written and performed by real teenagers” or something like that.
Haven’t listened to it in a looooong time though, so this will be fun to see how it holds up.

Last edited:
I discovered Ash from the Angus soundtrack, the movie was alright but the soundtrack was stellar; it featured really great unreleased tracks from Green Day, Weezer, (the reason I purchased the soundtrack) and introduced me to The Muffs, Smoking Popes, along with Ash, who were the only band that got two tracks. “Kung Fu” is on 1977 which, along with “Girl From Mars”; are probably their best known tracks. I would also recommend also checking out the track “Jack Names The Planets” which is from their debut album.

I had the Angus soundtrack too! There was a LOT of great soundtrack compilations back then with great unreleased stuff from huge bands, even if the films weren’t that great.

6/1/23
ab67616d0000b27319e71d4dd7d826eb2bd4e544

Ash - 1977

Oh yeah, Star Wars.

I recognise quite a few of the song names on this record.

Noisy mess, and not in the good way.

I can 100% believe this was written and performed by teenagers.

You don't need to hear this before you die, I don't think I will ever listen to this again.

1 / 5 stars.

This album is just dumb, naive, nonsensical fun, just like I remembered. Every song has the same core formula: A good guitar riff, a pop hook, big chorus and pure attitude!

The band kinda peaked here though. The follow-up lacked the fun and was pretty bad, and by the time they released their third (or fourth depending how you count) album ”Free All Angels” the formula had pretty much run its course and they already felt like has-beens trying to update it, at the tender age of 24.

Not an essential album by any means, but still one that I’m glad to have listened to again today. Score: 3 (or maybe 4) stars!

Last edited:
AC/DC - Highway to Hell

Is this original? Nope. Is it clever? Nope. Is it just a whole load of fun? Fuck Yeah! 3/5

Genesis.

I love solo Peter Gabriel. I am contemptuous to solo Phil Collins. I’d previously only heard latter day Genesis that was reductive boring FM pop. This is worse. It’s actually worse than the Brian Eno record which is really a new low charted for this list. 1/5

Ash

Fuuuuuuuuuun! 3/5 (4/5 for what of 13 year old me is still alive inside).

Last edited:
Back