The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

There was a temporary installation called "Southern Oracle: We Will Tear the Roof Off!" by an artist named Heather Hart at the NC Museum of Art. Before the pandemic, I want to say in September of 2019, 9th Wonder did a Parliament/Funkadelic heavy DJ set where people in crazy space costumes danced all around it.

Here's a video, I haven't watched, cause I am listening to the album on YOUTUBE, about the installation.

Here’s a video of the event?

Really dug Funkadelic. Gonna need some time to digest it. Have a feeling now that I'm close to having all the Sly I want and only have live Hendrix left to get (well, I am the rare knucklehead that wouldn't mind a vinyl copy of Voodoo Soup but since those don't exist and are unlikely to), that this may be something I need to think about for a disco project.

Initially Funkadelic felt more psychedelic and Parliament felt more funky but it feels like as the 70s progressed the lines between the two groups blurred to a point that they were essentially the same group and it’s why they toured as the P-Funk All-Stars for the next 25 years.
I was gonna ask what the difference was. This seemed more like Hendrix (as does Maggot Brain) than AQUABOOGIE insanity.

this may be something I need to think about for a disco project.

My P-Funk (extended) Family Tree disco currently looks a little like this:

Funkadelic - 2 albums, 1 comp
Parliament - 3 albums
Brides of Funkenstein - 1 album
George Clinton - 4 albums
Eddie Hazel - 1 album
Maceo Parker - 2 albums
Fred Wesley - 1 album
Fuzzy Haskins - 1 album
Mutiny - 1 album
Mico Wave - 1 album

...a good starting point, but so much room for growth.

I've never really explored this brand of funk music beyond what the DJ:s have spun while clubbing, and the occasional song on mixes and playlists, so this is new territory for me. I actually happen to own this on CD (can't remember how or when I bought it though), and I know I have listened to it before. But the title track aside, can't remember how it sounded. About halfway through now, and it's a lot less exhausting than I feared. Lots of rock influences. I like it, but I tend to zoom out a bit in the instrumental jams.

Last edited:
Funkadelic - One Nation Under A Groove
Sounds very modern, not at all what I was expecting.

Getting some reggae vibes now.

I really don't know what this is...

Maggot Brain is a good Jimi Hendrix song.

Dawdling instrumentals that occasionally turn into songs, songs that occasionally turn into dawdling instrumentals. I think this would be a good record to put on at a party and tune into now and then.

2 / 5 stars.

I'm having a bit of a hard time with this. A friend of mine gave me this on CD about twenty years ago and said it was a masterpiece, and I really wanted to "get" it and love it but I just gave up after a few listens. I understand that it's important and tells an interesting story historically, and and get that I should really like it intellectually. But I just can't connect with it. I simply don't hear the greatness others seem to get. I mean, it's not bad, but I just feel indifferent to it. Will give it another listen later this afternoon though.
In the same boat with his . Want to love but but never really connnected though i like alone again or. and lots of my favourite artists love this.
Also it spawned this wonderful song which manages to name check both Arthur Lee and Evan from Biohazard

2/14/2023
ab67616d0000b2730bdaac825d2a2cba490bc4fd

Funkadelic - One Nation Under a Groove

Allmusic Review:

I'm not sure I'd ever listened to this album straight through before. I'm definitely in the minority here in that I strongly prefer the instrumental dalliances. Overall it's probably never going to give any of my favorites from Funkadelic, Parliament, or P-Funk a run for the top. Despite some high notes the whole album doesn't fully gel for me, but the notes of brilliance are still there often enough for it to be worth a listen. 3/5

Back