The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

Snap is great since there are several singles that never made it on to records, plus you get the wonderful demo version of That’s Entertainment
It is one of those great "Best of"-albums that's more than the sum of its parts, in the vein of Buzzcocks "Singles going steady" and (yes) Abbas"Gold".

I gave the Cramps a 3. It's fun and deranged. I should spend some more time with it at some point. Like a lot of "punk" don't necessarily get why this is punk. DIY doesn't really seem to be a factor here either as what's his face from Big Star was pretty integral to their development.

4/19/23

ab67616d0000b273fdb85e117008b8f7d5add502

James Brown - Live at the Apollo

Allmusic review:

"Live at the Apollo" is almost a staple phrase today when defining a classic, and this album is definitely a cornerstone of our popular culture. I don't think I have listened to it in full before, at least not as focused as I did today, and I actually enjoyed it a bit less than I thought I would. I find myself wanting more structure and actual, y'know, songs after a while and not just Browns classic stage antics. Still, can't really get less than 5 stars under any circumstance, can it?

4/17/23
ab67616d0000b27304e7372b26d27803779696f4

The Jam - Sound Affects

Allmusic Review:

RIYL:

I think I feel the same about all Weller stuff I've heard. There always something very good about it, but I'm never pushed over the edge to thinking it's great. This is a little closer to 4 than to 3 for me, but most of his stuff falls somewhere in that range.

Back