The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

4/10/23
84a609609c0ff7efe635a3faeb7bf9bbbec92681

Television - Marquee Moon

Allmusic Review:

RIYL:

Very catchy so far, loving the bass playing.

I don't know, kind of reminds me of a more rocky CCR.

Got that southern rock twang, at least to my ears anyway!

Maybe even a bit of the Doors.

(Crawling King Snake)

I'm all over the place today.

I think on my first listen through of this record I was rather perturbed that 'Marquee Moon' was nearly 11 minutes long, but it doesn't seem so bad this time. And the main guitar motif is excellent!

Yeah, that was fuckin' awesome.

The second half dragged a touch, but that was great.

3 / 5 stars.

I had to catch up one a couple albums today because I was super busy this weekend.

Leonard was a 5, though as a whole I think I preferred You Want it Darker. Still an amazing album.

I've always heard a lot of good things about Television, but I'd never listened to this one in full. I admit that I was a little disappointed that it didn't really click for me, I might just need to give it a few more listens when I have more time.

4/10/23

Allmusic Review:

RIYL:

I'm curious to see if and how this one shifts for me when it comes up in my own project, and whether I'll get any listens down in the meantime betweentime. Out the gate, it didn't grab me as much as I'd hoped, but it didn't put me off - there's something calling me back for more but not with spectacular urgency just yet. 3.5/5, round down.

Television is a weird one. It’s grown on me quite a bit with time. I’ve only listened to it five or six times at this point. It really opened up with a second listen this morning.

Part of my deal with it is you go in expecting punk. I think it is punk in ethos. They very much wanted to be diy, but in sound it’s very glam. It fits in better with Bowie and T Rex than the Ramones and Sex Pistols.

Like Velvet Underground, you can hear it’s influence. So much music from Violet Femmes to Devo to Pavement owes a lot to this record.

4/10/23

Allmusic Review:

RIYL:

Like several of y'all, I've listened to this a few times over the years but it's never really clicked. Similar experience this time. 3/5

4/10/23

Allmusic Review:

RIYL:

4/11/23
ab67616d0000b273dae82a57e7385bc847f9f495

Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation

Allmusic Review:

RIYL:

This is a fantastic One-Two Punch. Two brilliant (and a couple of my fave) guitar albums by two of NYC’s best Rock bands. I love noisy and interesting guitar and both these albums offer that in spades.

I saw this video (part of a series) by Guitar Player magazine where they interview a guitarist about music that inspired them called “My Life In Five Riffs”. Wilco Guitarist, Nils Cline talks about his love for “Marquee Moon” at the 8:56 minute mark and does an excellent job explaining what makes that song amazing.

I remember where I was/what I was doing the first time I listened to both Marquee Moon and Daydream Nation. Both were iPod shuffle mode discoveries. I would load my iPod album up with albums that where well regarded but that I was unfamiliar with and then I would set my iPod to shuffle and see what would come one that I enjoyed enough to look and see what was playing. I was mowing my Mom’s lawn when I first hear “Marquee Moon” and I was driving solo to the El Paso, IL VFW to attend a Streets To Nowhere / Thunderbirds Are Now! concert when I first hear “Teenage Riot”.

4/11/23
ab67616d0000b273dae82a57e7385bc847f9f495

Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation

Allmusic Review:

RIYL:

Sonic Youth is my wife's favorite band. I don't like them as much as she does but they're alright. I also got to see them two different years at Coachella. I don't think I've ever listened to this one but I do know "Teen Age Riot" and "Candle".

I remember where I was/what I was doing the first time I listened to both Marquee Moon and Daydream Nation. Both were iPod shuffle mode discoveries. I would load my iPod album up with albums that where well regarded but that I was unfamiliar with and then I would set my iPod to shuffle and see what would come one that I enjoyed enough to look and see what was playing. I was mowing my Mom’s lawn when I first hear “Marquee Moon” and I was driving solo to the El Paso, IL VFW to attend a Streets To Nowhere / Thunderbirds Are Now! concert when I first hear “Teenage Riot”.
I feel like I've always known Daydream Nation, the cool kids in Band (I know oxymoron) listened to Sonic Youth, that was the first one I remember knowing.

Marquee Moon is for a standout on that album.

Sonic Youth is my wife's favorite band. I don't like them as much as she does but they're alright. I also got to see them two different years at Coachella. I don't think I've ever listened to this one but I do know "Teen Age Riot" and "Candle".
I went to the Lollapalooza tour they did where Smashing Pumpkins and they coheadlined with a bunch of friends. A bunch of people, including all my people left after Smashing Pumpkins (one of the worst bands I've ever seen live - Billy had the flu). I was absolutely thrilled to see Sonic Youth and happily I drove myself. They played like all of Washer Machine that night.

Last edited:
I feel like I've always known Daydream Nation, the cool kids in Band (I know oxymoron) listened to Sonic Youth, that was the first one I remember knowing.

Marquee Moon is for a standout on that album.
Weirdly, I always knew how well regarded Daydream Nation was but I had never given it a chance. I was familiar with Sonic Youth’s mid 90s albums Experimental Jet Set... and Washing Machine but neither inspired me to explore their earlier output.

Weirdly, I always knew how well regarded Daydream Nation was but I had never given it a chance. I was familiar with Sonic Youth’s mid 90s albums Experimental Jet Set... and Washing Machine but neither inspired me to explore their earlier output.
funnily enough not having really listened to much west coast hardcore, I had a bunch of SST in my CD Collection - Sonic Youth, Screaming Trees, Meat Puppets, Soundgarden...

Nice! In 2007 Pitchfork Music Fest, we were lucky enough to catch SY play Daydream Nation, Slint play Spiderland, an Gza perform Liquid Sword in their entireties. Unfortunately it was the only time I’ve seen SY live.

Back