The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

Besides Run For Your Life, You Won't See Me is one of my least favorite Beatles songs. But Norwegian Wood, Nowhere Man, and Think For Yourself, are some of the greatest. It's hard to think of this and not compare it to other Beatles albums, rather than music as a whole. Compared to other Beatles albums it scores about a 4 for me, but compared to music as a whole it's clearly a 5.
I have a soft spot for “You Won’t See Me” since my introduction to the song was via an early DMB cover. I think it was the first deep Beatles cut I was ever familiar with. Same applies to Dave’s cover of the Grateful Dead’s “Eyes Of The World”.

I had never heard of today's album before, although while listening to it a lot of the songs sounded familiar so maybe I've heard them before somewhere and just never knew who it was. I enjoyed it but it didn't stand out a lot to me, 3/5.

As to the rating system... I sometimes have trouble reconciling my personal enjoyment of an album with how it seems like it "should" be rated. There are some albums that I know are very historically significant that I really dislike (we've encountered a few... there will be more coming, lol), and some that don't have a personal significance to me like they do for many others but I feel like I should bump them. There are also a lot of albums I love on this list that I've seen people in reviews question why they are on there. Also it's hard for me to describe what makes something a 4 vs a 5 and I will almost never rate something a 1 unless it's so bad I can't finish it (I think the only 1 I've given so far was to that Divine Comedy album, though I know there's a Kid Rock album on this list).

That was probably a lot of words to say "I have questionable taste" but I've been having fun discovering new things and haven't really been paying too much attention to the ratings.

I also like hearing what everyone else has to say about them!

3/30/23
View attachment 170677
Mylo - Destroy Rock & Roll

Allmusic Review

Don't reckon I even remotely heard of this one before yesterday. It was an enjoyable enough listen. I particularly enjoyed the gratuitous motherfuckers of "Drop the Pressure." All in all, though, it was somehow too weird AND not weird enough to be something I'd come back to very much. Not gonna be the least bit upset when it's time to listen to it again for my personal project, but doubtful I'd go out of my way otherwise. 3/5

Don't reckon I even remotely heard of this one before yesterday. It was an enjoyable enough listen. I particularly enjoyed the gratuitous motherfuckers of "Drop the Pressure." All in all, though, it was somehow too weird AND not weird enough to be something I'd come back to very much. Not gonna be the least bit upset when it's time to listen to it again for my personal project, but doubtful I'd go out of my way otherwise. 3/5
Pretty much sums up my feelings. I'm not reaching for this stuff as often as others anyhow. Air's Moon Safari and Trip to the Moon along with Live 93 by the Orb and Everything by Future Sound of London (ESPECIALLY ISDN) are my go to for chilling electronic. I've got the Chemical Brothers and Fatboy Slim if I want to get hyped up. How much drum and bass is on this list? I feel like I should listen to Roni Size, Goldie and LTJ Bukem more than I do.

Well this is a great album. Probably my third favourite Joni after Blue and For The Roses, that really is a pretty epic run of three albums.
I don't really know For The Roses, This is more accessible than Blue (which I love) and as such I would rank this higher. I really only knew Blue until a few years ago, bought a pretty good copy of this used from my local and have been slowly falling in love with it. Mitchell has been a slow burn for me. I don't always feel like I get her and as such each album requires a long gestation period with me. It's been a joy to really dive into her catalog though. Both this and Blue would get a five from me though.

I don't really know For The Roses, This is more accessible than Blue (which I love) and as such I would rank this higher. I really only knew Blue until a few years ago, bought a pretty good copy of this used from my local and have been slowly falling in love with it. Mitchell has been a slow burn for me. I don't always feel like I get her and as such each album requires a long gestation period with me. It's been a joy to really dive into her catalog though. Both this and Blue would get a five from me though.

Yeah the run of three all get 5s from me and I probably prefer Blue for the opposite reason to why you prefer Court & Spark. I like how immersive and deep and personal it is. But with all 3, and I’ll throw Hejira in to make it 4, they’re 5’s, I’m not arguing with anyone’s order, it’s all down to preference.

Joni Mitchell is one of those artists that I've been meaning to dig into, but haven't gotten around to yet. I've only heard some of the more well known songs by her. Since this isn't on Spotify, I will need to try to listen to this through YouTube or something during the weekend. Looking forward to it!

Also something I’ve mentioned on other threads before.

At her best Joni is, for me, the best lyricist I’ve come across. A lot of the great lyricists are storytellers. Joni in my opinion is that and more. It’s clear she’s a painter for me, it’s so evident in her lyrics, she paints pictures with words, her lyrics are full of light and shade and atmosphere.

Back