The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

This Mylo-album is catchy as hell! Never heard of him before, and this not a genre I'm all that familiar with. Closest reference point I can think of for this is Basement Jaxx or Daft Punk, but I realize that is just me using a broad definition of "catchy electronic music".

But I will return to this for sure, especially as a soundtrack to hangouts with friends in the backyard this summer. Score 3/5!

Last edited:
This Mylo-album is catchy as hell! Never heard of him before, and this not a genre I'm all that familiar with. Closest reference point I can think of for this is Basement Jaxx or Daft Punk, but I realize that is just me using a broad definition of "catchy electronic music".

But I will return to this for sure, especially as a soundtrack to hangouts with friends in the backyard this summer. Score 4/5!

“Rikki” might as well be an early Daft Punk number.

Funeral being .03 off Rubber Soul with 10 votes to 8 is utterly mind boggling to me.
Yep, it is. But it also points to the futileness of rating art. What are we actually rating here? Quality? Historical significance? It all comes down to subjective thoughts, both in what we like/don't like and how we interpret what we actually rate.

Yep, it is. But it also points to the futileness of rating art. What are we actually rating here? Quality? Historical significance? It all comes down to subjective thoughts, both in what we like/don't like and how we interpret what we actually rate.

Potentially. But even bearing all that subjective stuff in mind it’s still a conclusion that is utterly bizarre.

It makes sense to me. Theoretically these are probably all five star records to someone.

Funeral is a solid, not perfect album. Many of you have written pretty much the same about Rubber Soul.

I don’t think Win’s sins are any worse than John’s, we just knew about them in real time.

3/29/23

902ed9924af79bb36eb49da984e9f9dbdf467000

The Beatles - Rubber Soul

Allmusic Review:

RIYL:

Besides Run For Your Life, You Won't See Me is one of my least favorite Beatles songs. But Norwegian Wood, Nowhere Man, and Think For Yourself, are some of the greatest. It's hard to think of this and not compare it to other Beatles albums, rather than music as a whole. Compared to other Beatles albums it scores about a 4 for me, but compared to music as a whole it's clearly a 5.

It makes sense to me. Theoretically these are probably all five star records to someone.

Funeral is a solid, not perfect album. Many of you have written pretty much the same about Rubber Soul.

I don’t think Win’s sins are any worse than John’s, we just knew about them in real time.

Honestly. I don’t see how it’s in the same stratosphere of quality music wise and parking the two bad lads.

It scrapes into the top 100 or 200 of the millennium as opposed to a critically acclaimed masterpiece of the genre.

I’m also absolutely not trying to say it’s bad, it’s clearly very good even if they’re a band that mostly doesn’t connect with me. There are scales of good though.

It could also be a hang up of a 5 point scale being way too restrictive.

I think the 5 star scale makes it difficult. Someone could think RS is a 4.5, and Funeral is a 3.5, and rate both a 4. And fwiw besteveralbums has Funeral as the #14 best of all time, and Rubber Soul as #28.

I didn't rank these yet, but for me I'd probably say a 4.5 for Rubber Soul as my 3rd or 4th favorite Beatles album, rounding closer to a 5, and Funeral as a solid 4.

Honestly. I don’t see how it’s in the same stratosphere of quality music wise and parking the two bad lads.

It scrapes into the top 100 or 200 of the millennium as opposed to a critically acclaimed masterpiece of the genre.

I’m also absolutely not trying to say it’s bad, it’s clearly very good even if they’re a band that mostly doesn’t connect with me. There are scales of good though.

It could also be a hang up of a 5 point scale being way too restrictive.
Honestly, it’s really not. I’d be okay with thumbs up/down and meh. It would certainly take less thought.

I’d struggle with albums that I like but don’t like as much as the ones I’d love. I’d end up down thumbing stuff that isn’t bad because it also isn’t great.

My way of internally thinking of these things has always been

10. All Time Great
9. One of the decades best that isn’t a 10
8. One of the years best that isn’t a 9 or 10
7. Top album in its year that isn’t an 8, 9 or 10
6. Really good solid album
5. Above average or average with 1 or 2 standout tracks.
4. Average
3. Below average
2. Poor
1. Deplorable
0. Dark Side of the Moon 😉

On that logic Funeral is a 5 and Rubber Soul 9 for me. I rounded to a 3 (or 6) because I can’t choose 2.5 (or 5).

I can see others might have Funeral higher but to the same level as Rubber Soul once it aggregates out, rather than for an individual which is ok, confounds me…

Honestly, it’s really not. I’d be okay with thumbs up/down and meh. It would certainly take less thought.
Hard agree. I think it's more interesting to discuss and write about the albums than rate them.

I found it near impossible to rate Rubber Soul. I mean, I should probably have given it a 5, just because it's a critically acclaimed Beatles album. But I actually think I've liked many other picks in this project a lot better so I settled on a 4. Part of it is probably because I sometimes have a hard time with the canonization of certain artists, but also partly because I just don't really feel that much for Rubber Soul (my favourite Beatles album is Abbey Road FWIW...). Come to think of it, it may even be a 3 for me personally, which is then the same as Funeral (which is kinda nuts, even for me).

But I get a lot of enjoyment and inspiration reading everybody's thoughts, stories and opinions about what we listen to. Even (or maybe even particularly) when I disagree with how you rate 'em.

Last edited:
3/30/23
View attachment 170677
Mylo - Destroy Rock & Roll

Allmusic Review

I recognise 'Drop The Pressure'.

I recognise the sample from 'In My Arms' but I can't place the original.

This should be on the '1001 Albums You Must Put On In The Background And Completely Forget About' list, to be honest.

'Doctor Pressure' is a banger though.

Utterly forgettable.

2 / 5 stars.

Back