Allmusic Review:

RIYL:

My mom's favorite Beatles album

3/29/23

902ed9924af79bb36eb49da984e9f9dbdf467000

The Beatles - Rubber Soul

Allmusic Review:

RIYL:

I could happily sit here and sing along with every single song.

The songs, the melodies, the harmonies are all spot on and so, so good.

Apart from the wildly inappropriate 'Run For Your Life' this is an almost perfect album.

4 / 5 stars.

I could happily sit here and sing along with every single song.

The songs, the melodies, the harmonies are all spot on and so, so good.

Apart from the wildly inappropriate 'Run For Your Life' this is an almost perfect album.

4 / 5 stars.
+1. Run For Your Life is maybe my least favourite song of theirs due to the lyrics (and I'm not a lyrics guy but here they just drill into my head). And agreed on Ringo - this is up there alongside With A Little Help... as my favourite of his (admittedly, not a long list)

+1. Run For Your Life is maybe my least favourite song of theirs due to the lyrics (and I'm not a lyrics guy but here they just drill into my head). And agreed on Ringo - this is up there alongside With A Little Help... as my favourite of his (admittedly, not a long list)

Yeah I don’t think it helps that musically it’s probably the most boring track on the album. It’s a pretty simple meat and potatoes plodding rocker which just forces the vocals, and the lyrics to the fore. While I’d never want to excuse the lyrics perhaps it’d get more lost in a more complex arrangement and not be quite so in your face?

Yeah definitely a better Ringo song. In his list I always kinda liked Act Naturally too, but maybe that’s just me!

Yeah I don’t think it helps that musically it’s probably the most boring track on the album. It’s a pretty simple meat and potatoes plodding rocker which just forces the vocals, and the lyrics to the fore. While I’d never want to excuse the lyrics perhaps it’d get more lost in a more complex arrangement and not be quite so in your face?

Yeah definitely a better Ringo song. In his list I always kinda liked Act Naturally too, but maybe that’s just me!
Act Naturally is rather good too. I always sh1t on Ringo tracks but when you list them, they're some pretty decent tunes there.

Great and all, buuuut.....

I've never really had a big Beatles-phase in my life, which I have noticed that a lot of my musically interested friends seem to have had. You know, one or two periods in your life where you just discover the Beatles and listen to everything they've put out, and realize that they're the best thing ever. There's usually a first phase when you're very young and hear Yellow Submarine, and one later in your late teens/early 20s where you pick up The White Album. Anyhow, I've always enjoyed The Beatles, but never really loved them. And I know that this is the album where The Beatles redefined what an "album" is and that it's important as a milestone both in their career and in music history as a whole. And when I put on any Beatles album I realize that this is "genius" and "important" and I often wonder how much of those feelings are due to the fact that they're "The Beatles" (the myth), rather than feeling it being objectively great. So, I toyed around with the idea of trying to listen to this album as if it was made by any random pop band (let's call them "The Beetles"), instead of this mythic entity (i.e "The Beatles"). And here's where I landed:

It is an album that is heavily frontloaded with four great songs that really stands out, (Drive My Car, Norwegian Wood, Nowhere Man, Think For Yourself). Side B is a bit anonymous, some good guitar tracks and nice vocal harmonies, a couple of pretty forgettable pop standards (Michelle, Girl). A couple of deep cut gems in their midst (I'm Looking Through You, In My Life). One dreadful dud (Run for your life). All in all, a pretty solid album, with a few stand out tracks. Score: 4/5

So I'm not the biggest Beatles fan in the world, I like them fine I just never connected with them on a deep personal level like a lot of people do. That being said I think this album collectively is one of my favorites of theirs. I agree with everyone above that the last track (Run For Your Life) is my least favorite but I like everything else a lot. 4/5.

So far this is nice chill ambient music, sometimes a little trip hop, sometimes a touch housey, but mostly take a toke, close your eyes and melt in your chair music. I would probably listen to the Orb or Future Sound before I would this, but its actually pretty decent.

3/28/23
View attachment 170523
Arcade Fire - Funeral

Allmusic Review:

RIYL:

Never truly understood the big hype behind Arcade Fire. I never disliked them, but I also never really loved them. A few very enjoyable moments here ("Neighborhood #3" in particular) but it falls, all in all, in the "wouldn't turn it off but wouldn't turn it up" category for me. 3/5

3/29/23

902ed9924af79bb36eb49da984e9f9dbdf467000

The Beatles - Rubber Soul

Allmusic Review:

RIYL:

Not my favourite Beatles album; not my least favourite Beatles album. "Michelle" is one of my favourite Beatles songs though!

4.5/5, round down.

Back