The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

3/27/23

f090383467cce3ef8f0f15068f6e789cbc22369d

Machito - Kenya

Allmusic Review:

RIYL:

Enjoying this, pretty standard big band afro-cuban jazz. If you were a fan of Dizzy's Afro through VMP Classic, this is for you. Imagine that folks who liked the Willie Bobo will dig this as well. Easily a three, could raise if I revisit. I'll be honest though, don't think it stands out enough for me to do so.

3/23/23
ab67616d0000b273e646fcd49b6dfc91d1dba2ae

Willie Colon & Ruben Blades - Siembra

Allmusic Review:

RIYL:

I've listened to several Willie Colon albums since I picked up Si No Lo Compras, Te Mato. And I've enjoyed them all. It's not a style I listen to often, but there's something to his work particularly that I really enjoy. This one was up there for me too. 4/5

3/27/23

Machito - Kenya

Allmusic Review:

RIYL:

Kenya and Blues À La Machito go pretty hard, I like that.

Otherwise, some pretty ordinary Afro-Cuban big band stuff.

Enjoyable.

3 / 5 stars.

Jay-Z - "The Blueprint". So, okay, hot take. I think Jay-Z is a bit overrated as a rapper. But still, this is high class stuff and he strings along a bunch of strong beats here and somehow it all end up being pretty irresistible. Score 4/5

Machito - "Kenya". Big band jazz is not my favorite genre, and this sounds like pretty standard big band jazz to my ears. I'm not really tuned to the nuances of Afro-Cuban jazz, so I might be missing something here? Not something I will return to, I'm afraid. Score: 2/5

Last edited:
3/27/23

Machito - Kenya

Allmusic Review:

RIYL:

This is very listenable but also feels pretty unremarkable to me at this time. I can well imagine this may have been mind blowing stuff back when but I've heard stuff in all directions of these sounds that tickle my brain more than this one did. I haven't done any reading up on it yet but based on 2 listens during my work day I'd say it's a solid 3/5.

This is very listenable but also feels pretty unremarkable to me at this time. I can well imagine this may have been mind blowing stuff back when but I've heard stuff in all directions of these sounds that tickle my brain more than this one did. I haven't done any reading up on it yet but based on 2 listens during my work day I'd say it's a solid 3/5.
Pretty close to my impression. I kept thinking it would have been great to hear live back in the day, but while it's not bad it's not amazing to me to just listen to now. 2.5/5

3/28/23
View attachment 170523
Arcade Fire - Funeral

Allmusic Review:

RIYL:

I know I'm supposed to hate Arcade Fire now because the singer is a bad person, but I've never listened to an Arcade Album song before, so I don't know how that works. I guess I will dislike the man for being a bad person and see what the music is like.

Phew, moral quandary navigated!

Not sure about his voice.

It's actually not that bad.

Solid, I like the 'Neighborhood' pieces.

3 / 5.

3/28/23
View attachment 170523
Arcade Fire - Funeral

Allmusic Review:

RIYL:

It’s mostly just fine. Rebellion (Lies) is kinda great.

Best thing here is the sampler might get more people to listen to Dog Man Star by Suede which actually is essential listening.

2.5 rounded up to 3 because I really do like that song.

I remember listening to this when it came out, and not really understanding all the hype. And I still don't quite understand the adulation for this album, as I relistened to it today. It's competent indie rock, but also a bit boring.
The band has a couple of brilliant songs to their name (Intervention, Keep the Car Running, Ocean of Noise, We Used to Wait and a few more) and I listened to Neon Bible quite a bit when it came out. But beyond that, they're pretty uninteresting.
I won't even touch the allegations against the singer....
Score 3/5

Despite all the Win Butler controversies and Arcade Fire missteps over the years... I still love this album. 5/5.
I also want to make sure that my comments didn't come off as insensitive. Obviously the Win Butler stuff is a big deal (I realized reading back if may have sounded like I was downplaying it). I was rating strictly on the music and my past history listening to this album.

I also want to make sure that my comments didn't come off as insensitive. Obviously the Win Butler stuff is a big deal (I realized reading back if may have sounded like I was downplaying it). I was rating strictly on the music and my past history listening to this album.
I'm with you on this album and feelings. It was a favorite when it came out and one that I listened to regularly up until recently. It's a shame since he's not the only one in the band but tarnished what his bandmates did too. Cutting out his asshole self, the album is a 5/5 musically for me, but as with so many others it's harder to listen to and enjoy now.

Fuck Win Butler. That being said, I came to Arcade Fire with Suburbs which I quite liked. A customer at the comic shop gave me a copy. I never really dove into their back catalog and was uninterested after Reflecktor (which I quite liked). This is fucking brilliant, sort of a pastiche of all quirky pop rock that came before synthesized into a slick and compelling product. 4 stars.

Back