The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

3/21/23
b3e3779cfb04aa033c4444099b5fc4d9f628e004

The Divine Comedy - Casanova

Allmusic Review

RIYL

I've come across them online from time to time, but never bothered to listen. It's not doing anything for me. It's not causing revulsion, but this has not enticed me to ever listen to anything else of theirs on purpose. 1.5/5

Man, I'm at 33 Neil releases (Vinyl, I don't catalog the rest), y'all are impressive.

View attachment 169925

Now bootlegs, back in the CD trading days i had Neil boots coming through the mail on a daily basis. I've probably got 2-3 shoeboxes full of Neil bootlegs. Favorite of all of them is A Perfect Echo if you can search it out, 10 discs of soundboard quality performances over the years.

Sadly, I only catalogue vinyl as well.

And boots? I'm a taper. You know what kinda shape I'm in.

Not ashamed.

3/22/23
30e8c77f1071c2e6f174ef6d17b458c3c50591b3

Faith No More - The Real Thing

Allmusic review:

Not their best album but it's the one that introduced me to them. One of my all-time favorite bands. I've lost track of how many times I've seen them.

It's been a long time since I listened to this. I do think it is a rather weird inclusion, Angel Dust is one of the great albums of the nineties and would have been my pick.

This is a nice change from last night's befuddling pick.

Angel Dust is great but King For A Day is my favorite

Not their best album but it's the one that introduced me to them. One of my all-time favorite bands. I've lost track of how many times I've seen them.
True, it was my introduction to them as well. I think the ubiquitous nature of Epic means a lot of folks were introduced through this album.

Angel Dust is great but King For A Day is my favorite
I have to admit, Angel Dust is the only one I know real well. I should probably deep dive their catalog some day.

True, it was my introduction to them as well. I think the ubiquitous nature of Epic means a lot of folks were introduced through this album.

I have to admit, Angel Dust is the only one I know real well. I should probably deep dive their catalog some day.

The first two albums with Chuck Mosley are great too, especially Introduce Yourself.

I was probably a bit too harsh on Divine Comedy. I mean I have heard worse. So I nudged it up to a solid 2.

Now, Faith No More. I don't think I've listened to this album in full since, well, maybe the early 90s? And I listened to it A LOT back then. So this will be interesting to see how it holds up.

And I agree, Angel Dust is probably their masterpiece (and that one I have listened to a lot since).

The Faith No More sounds dated which is the only critical thing I have for it. I could go at length about how it and Urban Dance Squad are responsible for Limp Bizkit and nu-metal in general but that's besides the point.

It does fall into that late eighties/early nineties bad production era - think Neneh Cherry, Living Colour, King's X, etc.... these are projects with quality music that (honestly it was no different at the time) just don't sound great today and it's not loudness wars bullshit... they just have a sheen that doesn't match what they were doing.... like it's too perfect. It's hard to describe.

The Divine Comedy - Casanova
He / They wrote the theme music for 'Father Ted' don't you know?!

She said,
There's something in the woodshed
Just nod if you can hear me
Is there anyone at home?

It's all a bit silly really, and if you scratch the surface, a little bit sinister.

2 / 5 stars.

3/22/23
30e8c77f1071c2e6f174ef6d17b458c3c50591b3

Faith No More - The Real Thing

Allmusic review:

RIYL

This is one of my and my wife's favorite bands from growing up and a topic that we discussed when we first started dating. It's the first of theirs I grabbed on vinyl and I spin it regularly because it's one of a few that she's always happy to hear, but it's not her favorite of theirs either. So this album scores a 5/5 from me partly for the music, and partly for the good times it's associate with for me.

Back