The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

3/13/2023
f654bea617079cd7e68be4544cbb557bebb93919

Maxwell - Maxwell's Urban Hang Suite

Allmusic Review:

RIYL Playlist:

This still slaps. As soon as the post went up I was sure it was a 5/5 for me, but it'd been a few years so I had to be sure. And, yes, very much still a 5 out of 5 for me. So tasty. Love the bass, love the groove, love the sexiness. Love it all.

3/14/23

ab67616d0000b2731ce85457d791f1a664132faf

Alice Cooper - Billion Dollar Babies

Allmusic Review:

I'll take Alice Cooper over AC/DC, Aerosmith and the like any day. Which isn't to say I'll go out of my way to listen to him very often, but I do enjoy it when I do. I appreciate what he was doing when he slipped into the shock rock routine and it makes the music more enjoyable for me, personally. Solid 3/5

I'll take Alice Cooper over AC/DC, Aerosmith and the like any day. Which isn't to say I'll go out of my way to listen to him very often, but I do enjoy it when I do. I appreciate what he was doing when he slipped into the shock rock routine and it makes the music more enjoyable for me, personally. Solid 3/5
I really enjoy AC/DC and actually dug Aerosmith until I found out that Tyler was the creepiest of creepers.

lol:
As such things go, it's tight, reasonably well played, the songs kinda sorta have hooks, and Keith Morris is a pretty good frontman, but if you're looking for nuance, you're pretty much out of luck. Then again, if you were looking for nuance in a Circle Jerks album, you've obviously been misinformed as to how this punk rock stuff works.

14 songs in just under 16 minutes. This is pretty much the anti-thesis to Todd Rundgren!

I love early So-Cal hardcore/punk but The Circle Jerks are probably one of the bands I'm least familiar with from that scene (although I have Wild in the Streets on vinyl). Looking forward to hearing their debut in it's full glory!

Last edited:
Circle Jerks - Group Sex
If your punk album isn't 14 songs and 15 minutes long, are you even trying?!

I don't remember having much of a rebellious punk phase, so have never really listened to Circle Jerks, but can definitely hear their influence in the punk bands I did listen to growing up.

The guitarist was also in Black Flag and formed SST Records, that's pretty cool.

I'm finding the longer songs to be the highlights, "Operation", "Back Against The Wall", "World Up My Ass", "Live Fast Die Young" and "Red Tape" are great.

Decent listen.

3 / 5 stars.

I really enjoy AC/DC and actually dug Aerosmith until I found out that Tyler was the creepiest of creepers.
It's only because of your posts that I discovered Tyler was a shitbag creep to that girl. I really like a lot of their albums so it sucks they have that ick taint now.

The list ever grows.

3/15/23

8a66c77a43998c0048866e3bf966c137d5bebdd3

Circle Jerks - Group Sex

Allmusic Review:

RIYL Playlist:

I listened to the 40th Anniversary edition, which was expanded to a whole 23 minutes. Operation and Back Against the Wall are my two favorite tracks on the album. I'm not as much for punk as I was in my youth, but this album still rips. It's hard to judge punk on the same scale as most of these since the good punk bands suck on purpose a lot of times. But there's some great guitar shredding on a couple tracks here, which is more than a lot of punk bands could do (since many suck because they don't actually know how to play their instruments). I can only think of a small handful of punk albums that would be in 5/5 territory. This one is not that. But it's good 3.5/5.

Listened in the car while driving my son to his karate practice. A drive that takes about 20 minutes, so I actually got time for a couple of bonus tracks from Black Flag and Minutemen thanks to the Spotify algorithm.
And what can I say? Classic LA hardcore punk! And while there's plenty of better punk albums out there, this gets the job done! Score: 3.5 stars (which rounds up to an even 4 due to my 12 year old sons' comment when I played it: "Dad, you're truly weird for listening to this and actually liking it?")

Back