The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

I was pricing Roots vinyl on Discogs and noticed they list the album’s styles as Thrash and Nu-Metal. Thrash makes sense but Nu-Metal? This record came out during the Nu-Metal era but I don’t hear any hip-hop elements that you would normally associate with that style of music.

From what I remember of my shit music taste 99-01 the growler fella was later in a nu-metal band called Soulfly? Maybe that kinda sees all his stuff lumped in that bucket.

I can’t say I am familiar Soulfly but that could definitely be an explanation.

I had an album by them, I think Sean Lennon was a guest on it. I can’t really remember it all that much, from an over 20 year remove most of the music I listened to back then sort of blurs together into one big angry mush lol.

From what I remember of my shit music taste 99-01 the growler fella was later in a nu-metal band called Soulfly? Maybe that kinda sees all his stuff lumped in that bucket.

I can’t say I am familiar Soulfly but that could definitely be an explanation.

I had an album by them, I think Sean Lennon was a guest on it. I can’t really remember it all that much, from an over 20 year remove most of the music I listened to back then sort of blurs together into one big angry mush lol.
I don't think Soulfly qualify as Nu-Metal either. And I think Max Cavalera would fight that for either band. Thrash and groove metal, yes, but definitely not what Nu-Metal came to be famous for sounding like.

3/7/23
0baab4173f17b533403eeea8da06e662cfa6da75

Sepultura - Arise

Allmusic Review:

On this, the self-titled Soulfly album is as good as Chaos AD and Roots, and all the better than this one which is still fantastic. I love the guitar shredding, but that snare grates when listening to this on headphones. (Wife was home today, lol). 4/5
Glad for the metal representation, even if thrash is not my favorite subgenre.

2/3/23

9a129203c3ba39a30ee3bf3a8b1bf66d1ac9fa6a

Todd Rundgren - Something/Anything?

Allmusic review:

RIYL Playlist:

2/5

Inane with an insane length - I really wanted to give this a 1 most of the time I was listening to it, but every now and then I found myself rather enjoying little bits and pieces like "Breathless" and "Song of the Viking." But truly I could take what I liked from this double album and maybe put together an EP that would rate 3.5 - all in all, however, it feels overlong, self-indulgent and way too waiting room at the dentist for me.

I never get to play my hip hop or my pantera. The wife likes Opeth, so I get to play that (although not so much with an 18 month old running around.)

Most of my metal and hip hop just collects dust.
I can relate to not being able to play my metal and hip hop records until I'm the only one in the house. Then the Emperor and Rapsody go on.

3/2/23

View attachment 168465

The Modern Lovers - The Modern Lovers

Allmusic Review

I need to dig more into Jonathan Richman's vast catalogue. I saw him open for Belle & Sebastian in 2001 and quite enjoyed it, but I've never really sought out his music since. This one didn't do it for me as much as I'd hoped. The whip-smart songwriting is definitely evident, but the album didn't draw me all the way in. I could appreciate it more than I found myself enjoying it. 3/5

I knew from Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me through Wild Mood Swings pretty well but not much before (still don’t know after). A couple of years ago, I won their debut from Bandbox and I picked this one up on a deal. That’s all I own in vinyl. Haven’t really entrenched myself in either. This album is The Cure we know and live whereas Seventeen Seocnds (much like Wish) is more of its moment and poppy. This is clearly made by the band that toured with Joy Division (I was actually a little shocked to learned they had toured together reading the 33 1/3 on Unknown Pleasures - I knew they were contemporaries but they seemed miles apart for some reason to me). This is the arrival of the band that @mcherry obsesses over. It’s not their best, but it is pretty pivotal in their recorded career, anyhow.

3 stars

The Cure ~ 17 Seconds

Interesting to hear the Cure at the beginning of their career, really only previously familiar with the 'hits' off this one. Very atmospheric, and A Forest really pops out from the rest of the album in terms of songwriting maturity. My favorite part might be the heavy bass that hits at the end of At Night, will definitely revisit this on late night walks in the neighborhood. 4/5

3/8/23

View attachment 168969
The Cure - Seventeen Seconds

Allmusic Review:

I like Bob's vocals. Some of the instrumentation is too repetitive, but I like most of it anyway. A good album if again not near the best they had to offer. My sister owned this one growing up, but it had been close to 30 years since I'd listened to the whole thing. I'd listen to it again. 3.5/5

Back