The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

Stevie Wonder - Innervisions
I can appreciate a differing opinion and I don’t think you’re necessarily just being stingy or a contrarian with your ratings but as we are getting to know more about your musical taste, I was wondering if you’d be willing to share with us 5 albums that you do consider perfect, 5 stars?

I can appreciate a differing opinion and I don’t think you’re necessarily just being stingy or a contrarian with your ratings but as we are getting to know more about your musical taste, I was wondering if you’d be willing to share with us 5 albums that you do consider perfect, 5 stars?
I'll have a think about what those five might be.

If they're up to muster, will my scores stop being questioned ;)

[edit]

Alva Noto + Ryuichi Sakamoto - Vrioon
Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - Moanin'
Cult Of Luna - The Beyond
Faultline - Closer Colder
Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures

Off the top of my head (or I cheated and looked at Discogs!)

Last edited:

[edit]

I really like Faultline, but think I like Your Love Means Everything even more

[edit]

To be fair, I didn’t question your scores! I like the different voice. We can be an echo chamber around here. I know two of those and think they are five star albums.

3/6/23
ab67616d0000b273ea8ab1a548312b79ac955266

Stevie Wonder - Innervisions

Allmusic Review:

RIYL:

Listening to this now, it's probably a 4/5 for me. Not a perfect album for me, but close. The highs are definitely very high. I'm just not that into the first couple of songs, and also a couple on the second side.

[edit]

Ha! Nah, it’s nothing like that. Art is subjective and you are entitled to to love whatever albums you want. It just seems like the bar is set very high.

I own Moanin’ and Unknown Pleasures on wax and certainly agree with those two. I am familiar with Sakamoto’s work and love the albums I have heard, though I am ignorant to that specific project. I am not familiar at all with Cult of Luna or Faultline so I will have to give them a listen.

Thanks! I just wasn’t sure if a 5 star album was as rare a Mint grading on a record but it sounds like there will be a few 5 star ratings at least as we progress through the list.

Listening to this now, it's probably a 4/5 for me. Not a perfect album for me, but close. The highs are definitely very high. I'm just not that into the first couple of songs, and also a couple on the second side.
Same here. I like it a lot, but not perfect to me compared to some of his others.

My feeling with Stevie is that between Talking Book and Songs In The Key of Life he made 4 unequivocal masterpieces, each is flawless. The order in which you rank them is really nothing more than personal preference. This one is my favourite. The full 9 minutes of Living for the City is pretty much unparalleled in its vision, scope and execution for my money.

If you push me I’d rank those 4 albums as
  1. Innervisions
  2. Talking Book
  3. Songs In The Key Of Life
  4. Fulfillingnesses First Finale
I also absolutely wouldn’t be arguing with anyone who landed a different order for them.

Last edited:
My feeling with Stevie is that between Talking Book and Songs In The Key of Life he made 4 unequivocal masterpieces, each is flawless. The order in which you rank them is really nothing more than personal preference. This one is my favourite. The full 9 minutes of Living for the City is pretty much unparalleled in its vision, scope and execution for my money.

If you push me I’d rank those 4 albums as
  1. Innervisions
  2. Talking Book
  3. Songs In The Key Of Life
  4. Fulfillingnesses First Finale
I also absolutely wouldn’t be arguing with anyone who landed a different order for them.
I would say you have to start with Music of My Mind. I would then move Talking Book to #5 and slide Music in at #4.

Looking at the list, Roots made the cut too. I get Roots over Chaos AD, but this over Beneath the Remains? Also, how much thrash is on here? I feel like I'm a kid again. Lol. Pretty sure I would get some looks if I started banging my head in the office.
I am surprised there are 3 Sepultura albums on the list (but I completely approve) Roots was a big record for me in High School and Chaos AD seems to be their most highly regarded but I am good with Arise making the list too.

I need some Sepultura on vinyl.

I am surprised there are 3 Sepultura albums on the list (but I completely approve) Roots was a big record for me in High School and Chaos AD seems to be their most highly regarded but I am good with Arise making the list too.

there are 3? I was looking at a 2016 list. it just had this and roots. So much Metal on the list. Surprised.

I never get to play my hip hop or my pantera. The wife likes Opeth, so I get to play that (although not so much with an 18 month old running around.)

Most of my metal and hip hop just collects dust.

Back