The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

If I'm honest, I've never even really understood what post rock was. This resembles a somber Rollins Band. It's heavy and plodding and the vocals seem more like poetry. That being said, on the last song right now and I really enjoyed this. Will visit again for sure.
This album has a chance of landing on my revised top50 at some point.

I am changing my score for Love and Devotion to 3 / 5 stars, as it is good, and knocking 1 star off for its length doesn't feel quite right. When I was sailing the high seas for a copy of this, I couldn't actually find this as presented on Spotify and the 1001 list, only one record called Love Songs, and another called Devotion songs. Was this originally two releases and has since been jammed together to make this one?

I am changing my score for Love and Devotion to 3 / 5 stars, as it is good, and knocking 1 star off for its length doesn't feel quite right. When I was sailing the high seas for a copy of this, I couldn't actually find this as presented on Spotify and the 1001 list, only one record called Love Songs, and another called Devotion songs. Was this originally two releases and has since been jammed together to make this one?
you are correct, it was originally two releases in November of 1992, kind of like Use Your Illusions.
It looks like the compilation version was released in 2013.

Slint - Spiderland
Ah, Slint! That band I have pretended to be into for years, to impress people that don't even care.

It sounds like the very beginning of things that I would come to love. I can see a copy of this record on every single Discord band's shelf, and it is well-worn.

I was worried that "Don, Aman" had taken all the momentum out of things, but then "Washer" comes in and blows everything away, never to be the same again. Life-changing.

I miss you.

4 / 5 stars.

3/1/23
View attachment 168395
Slint - Spiderland

Allmusic review:

This was in heavy rotation for me during my college years. I've always been hesitant with the postrock label for this album, even though I can see the influence it had on what became postrock. It's one of those albums where the louder it is, the better it is. 4/5 to 5/5 depending on the day.

I think postrock is a weird label for any band. The bands that are associated with it are so diverse that it somehow loses any significance. It feels like it's something you tag stuff with that you can't really fit into any other label. But it is commonly used so I guess I have to just deal with it.

Now onto Slint. This is an album that I've tried to get into several times throughout the years, as it is seen as this important nexus between two eras in alternative rock, and I should love it for that at least. Every time I listen to it, the same thing happens: I appreciate it as an accomplished piece of music, dig the influences from earlier bands I love (such as Sonic Youth and Fugazi) and salute the impact it has had on other bands I love (everything from Mogwai and Godspeed You! to hardcore stuff like Refused and Quicksand). Then I don't think about or listen to it for a couple of years before I repeat the whole procedure. I think I know why now: It's quite simply a bit boring. It never really takes off in any particular direction (which probably is the whole point, I guess). But I find myself just waiting for them to let loose and just ROCK, which never really happens here. It all just feels like one big inhale after one another, and I'm just waiting for an exhale.

But all in all, it's great for what it is, and I somehow always find my way back to it every other year or so, so there's that. I look forward to listening to it again sometime in 2024/2025.

Score 4/5

Last edited:
Hey so, I just ran out of characters in the first list post. I clearly don't have enough space saved for the list at the top. I'm thinking about deleting playlist links in the list except for the last week's worth. How does everyone feel about that?

png-transparent-tick-milk-caps-television-channel-fox-kids-others-miscellaneous-television-windows-presentation-foundation.png

Back